BooHawk18

Co Hodge Winners

12 minutes ago, russelscout said:

April fools? I hope it's not true. It devalues the award.

I hope it is true - it does not devalue the award at all - There is nothing wrong with 2 incredibly talented and dominant teammates sharing the award. 

28 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I hope it is true - it does not devalue the award at all - There is nothing wrong with 2 incredibly talented and dominant teammates sharing the award. 

80 teams in D1. There are 10 starters on each team. The hodge is supposed to represent 1 out of 800. If you give it to 2 people its 1 out of 400. How do you define devalue? 

Plus I like the fact that we have two studs that we were able to evaluate all the way down to the end of the year. That was fun. If both win, then it doesn't even matter anymore because in this case there is a clear winner in most people's opinion.

Edited by russelscout

20 minutes ago, russelscout said:

80 teams in D1. There are 10 starters on each team. The hodge is supposed to represent 1 out of 800. If you give it to 2 people its 1 out of 400. How do you define devalue? 

Plus I like the fact that we have two studs that we were able to evaluate all the way down to the end of the year. That was fun. If both win, then it doesn't even matter anymore because in this case there is a clear winner in most people's opinion.

It doesn't devalue the award because both Penn State winners, Bo Nickal AND Jason Nolf, are worthy of winning the award. 

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

April fools? I hope it's not true. It devalues the award.

A D3 multiple-loss wrestler has a double winner with an undefeated D1 wrestler.  It will not be further devalued with a Nolf/Nickal double award.

Edited by jchapman

5 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

It doesn't devalue the award because both Penn State winners, Bo Nickal AND Jason Nolf, are worthy of winning the award. 

Both are worthy but only one should be able to get it. That is half the fun of following the hodge trophy. I don't like the precedent this sets going forward. We are going to have other years with 2 really great wrestlers.  Should we do the same thing?  The Hodge often gets described as wrestling's Heisman. Its not if we award co-winners. College football actually has the balls to nut up and make a choice even when there are multiple worthy candidates. Why do they insist on doing that do you think? 

Just now, jchapman said:

A D3 multiple-loss wrestler has shared the award with an undefeated D1 wrestler.  It will not be further devalued with a Nolf/Nickal double award.

I didn't like that one either, but you must admit that it was different. Everyone walked away from that knowing that Cael was the best guy. There was another variable at play there that makes it different from this year. I still didn't think it was necessary. If we feel the need to make everyone feel good by giving an award to every worthy guy, then add a different trophy. The Hodge is suppose to go to the best individual, not everyone who is worthy.

4 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Both are worthy but only one should be able to get it. That is half the fun of following the hodge trophy. I don't like the precedent this sets going forward. We are going to have other years with 2 really great wrestlers.  Should we do the same thing?  The Hodge often gets described as wrestling's Heisman. Its not if we award co-winners. College football actually has the balls to nut up and make a choice even when there are multiple worthy candidates. Why do they insist on doing that do you think? 

If they run into this very situation again then I'd be fine with a shared award, but something tells me this situation where you have two senior team mates with nearly indistinguishable legendary careers and seasons was unique and will not be repeated. 

1 minute ago, russelscout said:

I didn't like that one either, but you must admit that it was different. Everyone walked away from that knowing that Cael was the best guy. There was another variable at play there that makes it different from this year. I still didn't think it was necessary. If we feel the need to make everyone feel good by giving an award to every worthy guy, then add a different trophy. The Hodge is suppose to go to the best individual, not everyone who is worthy.

How did you feel when Emmett Wilson won?

40 minutes ago, russelscout said:

not agreeing or disagreeing, just commenting on numbers....as a D3 guy has been a co-winner, and an NAIA guy won it outright, there's way more than 800 wrestlers in the running. 

14 minutes ago, jchapman said:

How did you feel when Emmett Wilson won?

I honestly forgot about Emmett Wilson. I think that going forward we should try to keep this award at the D1 level. I don't think we should keep giving it to NAIA guys or have multiple winners. Just because "thats the way we've always done it" certainly doesn't make it the best way. If this really wants to be a legitimate award to the best wrestler we need to start having stricter rules. The award shouldn't be there to appease everyone. The fact that it can become a little divisive makes it interesting. If you actually want people to care, then only award 1 guy in the D1 and make no exceptions. The more exceptions we make, the more arbitrary it all becomes. Thats my opinion.

Edited by russelscout

23 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

If they run into this very situation again then I'd be fine with a shared award, but something tells me this situation where you have two senior team mates with nearly indistinguishable legendary careers and seasons was unique and will not be repeated. 

2 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

I hope it is true.....not much difference between Nolf and Nickal on any given day.....2 all-time greats.

I understand these sentiments. I like both guys. Nolf is a generational type wrestler. So is Nickel. They are fantastic talents. I am more stressing what the Hodge could mean to our sport. "Who is the best" across many weights is a common discussion amongst wrestling fans. Look how much discussion about Nolf and Nickel we had this year on this board. These type of awards should be an answer to that and create further discussion for the opposing opinions. For media, an award that appeases everyone is not ideal. 

25 minutes ago, russelscout said:

One of my favorite big upsets of all time.

one of my least favorites. really wanted Scott Moore to get that title, what a year he was having. but hey, that's how it goes sometimes....

9 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

one of my least favorites. really wanted Scott Moore to get that title, what a year he was having. but hey, that's how it goes sometimes....

Scott Moore was doing great that year. As a Hawkeye fan I was happy to see Cliff Moore get his title. 

26 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Scott Moore was doing great that year. As a Hawkeye fan I was happy to see Cliff Moore get his title. 

yeah not a hating on Cliff Moore thing at all, nice for him to go out on a high note, but S Moore was having a rare kind of season. Cliff kicked his butt though, so not like it was even a controversial deal. but as a result....NAIA guy wins the Hodge (though looking back wondering maybe why Greg Jones or Gentry didn't get in instead?).