NJDan

Will Wrestling Ever Have a One and Done?

We have all heard on one-and-dones in basketball, where kids leave early because NBA dollars are too big to resist. 

Could this ever happen in wrestling where a kid leaves early to pursue an MMA career or even an RTC salary? I am thinking of a kid who wins an NCAA title as a frosh or soph and figures he has no more to prove in college. Or are MMA searches too uncertain for that to ever happen?

51 minutes ago, NJDan said:

We have all heard on one-and-dones in basketball, where kids leave early because NBA dollars are too big to resist. 

Could this ever happen in wrestling where a kid leaves early to pursue an MMA career or even an RTC salary? I am thinking of a kid who wins an NCAA title as a frosh or soph and figures he has no more to prove in college. Or are MMA searches too uncertain for that to ever happen?

The best chance of this happening will be if someone has the type of success that Snyder had on the international level and makes a different choice as far as taking endorsement $ goes.  It would have been very lucrative for Snyder after his 2015 WGM and more so after the Olympic Gold in 2016.  He made the choice to preserve his NCAA eligibility - I not am sure everyone will follow that lead.

Edited by lu1979

Scenario:

Assume Iowa presents serious problems to Penn State's title aspirations next year. The NLWC offers Spencer Lee a significant check to drop out of Iowa and pursue his international career full time. They pay him a salary and also tuition costs. Iowa loses its best wrestler and future Hawkeye Club 57kg in one transaction.

I don't see that ever happening, especially Lee, but you none of you would put it past the evil empire with their vast sums to try it.

It is pretty unlikely right now, but if the money keeps getting better for senior level wrestlers, it will at some point. Reason being, they allow guys to have an extremely short season (or theoretically no regular season )and then wrestle 2 tournaments, so there isn't a ton of risk. They aren't forgoing a lot of money to stay in  college wrestling.

The living the dream $ being exempt from NCAA comp rules makes a huge difference too. I doubt Snyder would've stayed in college after he won his gold if that wasn't the rule. 

Gable Steveson would have been a candidate if he won it this past year.

It will take the right person at the right time in the current climate. The biggest reason for Steveson to be a one and done is the possibility of him making the Olympic team next year and doing quite well there.

4 minutes ago, rcoates1 said:

Looks like Jared Verkleeran is a one and done and will pursue Greco full time

Really? I thought he was penciled in as the starter at 149 next year? What other options does psu have if Berge moves up?

That’s just what he put on his Twitter this afternoon so it could be an April fools joke, I just thought it was funny seeing this thread right after reading that tweet.   Don’t know if anyone in their current roster who could step in at 149 and be competitive.  With Ben Provisor and Mason Manville at PSU there is at least a Greco influence there so it’s not entirely far fetched.

5 hours ago, BobDole said:

It will take the right person at the right time in the current climate. The biggest reason for Steveson to be a one and done is the possibility of him making the Olympic team next year and doing quite well there.

Had he won, I believe he would've been done with folkstyle and tried to win the Olympic Spot. From there I think he would've either went the MMA or WWE route. I've seen a few different pictures of him with Brock Lesnar and that Paul Heyman fella. I don't follow the WWE but I think Gable would do well there. 

15 hours ago, BobDole said:

He may still be a candidate if he were to do really well on the FS circuit.  I don't think he ready to beat Gwiz yet and beyond that there are a couple of really great and young heavys competing internationally.

Kind of a different topic, but I believe Oklahoma State had a guy who placed high at NCAAs as a Freshman, who quit the team afterward because he won an academic scholly. Can't remember his name or anything, but I think he finished 4th at NCAAs.