Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Garrett v. McDonough in the QF

What do people think about Cornell's Nahshon Garrett's chances?

He looks to a QF match against McDonough, the only guy who beat Garrett by more than a few points this year. OTOH, a lot of people say McDonough is not right (too big a weight cut or whatever) and it would seem that Garrett has at least a shot of doing something like Delgado did. If he gets to the semis, there is no one who he can't beat, it seems.

Reax?

From a Vegas standpoint - 1 in 3 chance that Garrett defeats McD in the QTRS. Strong kid, an early takedown or one with enough time to ride McD out at the end of the 1st or 2nd could help to gain that edge. I'm routing for McD! Good Luck!

tumblr_m0zb2wNBPH1ql5yr7o1_400.gif

McDonough is much too seasoned of a wrestler to let his guard down and lose that match. Not taking anything away from Nahshon but him beating McDonough is quite a stretch in a tournament, a state, and a month that McDonough has pretty much dominated the past few years.

www.TheBeast.biz

Let's put this to rest for the last time. Weight cut is NOT the issue with McDonough.

Thank you! I've been wanting to say that on so many threads recently. I can't believe true wrestling fans are that dense sometimes, and can't see what's really up.

Medicine_Man - remember Jarrod already beat Delgado earlier in the season in SV. It is going to be hard to do that twice in a row, but this kid is tough and looks to me to be right on peak.

I think folks are confusing Garrett with GarNett! Two different guys, one letter difference.

Let's put this to rest for the last time. Weight cut is NOT the issue with McDonough.

Thank you! I've been wanting to say that on so many threads recently. I can't believe true wrestling fans are that dense sometimes, and can't see what's really up.

So you guys have inside information!? Sorry to say fans of wrestling can't pick up on the problem. So, he must be sick then because there is no apparent injury. Maybe mono or something like that? He does look pretty anemic out the this year, maybe that's why people think its the weight cut.

Garrett appears to be right in the discussion with the top dogs at 125. He boasts 12 wins against this field beating #10 Josh Martinez twice (10-1 and 17-5), #12 Tyler Cox (11-4), Steve Bonnano 3 times (13-9, 3-1, and 11-5), Mark Rappo twice (2-1 and 6-1), David Terao (3-1), Rob Deutsch (11-2), Eddie Klimara (9-3), and Christian Cullinan (6-3).

However, Garrett has no wins against the top 8 seeds in this tournament and is 0-4 against this level of competition. He lost twice to #1 Alan Waters 6-4 and 8-5. He lost to #3 Matt McDonough 8-3. He lost to #4 Nico Megaludis 3-1. He has never faced #2 Delgado, #5 Garnett, #7 Kraisser, or #8 Snyder.

McDonough, on the other hand, has had some uncharacteristic difficulties this season but did post a 3-3 ecord against the top 8 seeded opponents. McDonough beat #3 Megaludis (2-1), #6 Garrett (8-3), and #8 Snyder (9-4). McDonough lost to #1 Waters (3-0) and twice to #2 Delgado (9-4 and 10-4).

Garrett's track record suggests that he should cruise through Montoya in rd 1, handle #11 Triggas in rd 2, then fall in the quarters to McDonough. This would place him in the lower portion of the wrestlebacks with guys like Soto, Cullinan, Boyle, Martinez, and Kraisser. He will have to beat just one of these guys to get on the podium. I personally like his chances to wrestle just about to his seed.

Thank God we have you guys here to shed some light on the topic. Or, the opposite of that.

I follow Iowa and I have no idea what his problem is and I've yet to see any insider reveal the "real" problem. They all say the same thing, that it is NOT the weight cut. I can't figure it out. I can't imagine any self respecting singlet chaser would dump a two time champ and three time finalist, not in Iowa City anyway. So a girl doesn't seem to make sense. Sickness and injury don't APPEAR to be the cause. Weight cut makes sense but they all say it's not the weight cut. I wish someone would just tell us what the problem is instead of nanny nanny boo boo I have a secret that you don't know and I'm not telling!!! I hate those people, I'd rather they didn't post a thing at all.

Thank God we have you guys here to shed some light on the topic. Or, the opposite of that.

At the risk of sounding a bit sarcastic (I am not really that sort of guy) :

So, this wk.,while I am parked in front of my TV, I can now advise my guests that McD is not

really 'that big' of a 25 pounder. It is just that all of the others at that weight- are little dudes- that are not cuttin' much weight. :o

Well, tell us. You and truewrestlingfan must know something or nothing like most of those hawkeye nation and hawkeye report posters.

I follow Iowa and I have no idea what his problem is and I've yet to see any insider reveal the "real" problem. They all say the same thing, that it is NOT the weight cut. I can't figure it out. I can't imagine any self respecting singlet chaser would dump a two time champ and three time finalist, not in Iowa City anyway. So a girl doesn't seem to make sense. Sickness and injury don't APPEAR to be the cause. Weight cut makes sense but they all say it's not the weight cut. I wish someone would just tell us what the problem is instead of nanny nanny boo boo I have a secret that you don't know and I'm not telling!!! I hate those people, I'd rather they didn't post a thing at all.

All this insider "it's not the weight cut and it's obvious what the problem is" is what really makes me think it's the weight cut. Let's see - he's lethargic and has no offense. He looked horrible in his first round match at Big Tens. He doesn't appear to be favoring, limping around, etc. He hasn't looked himself all year. He's a grown man who's demonstrated a will of iron for years - I'm not buying the girl trouble thing. So, besides weight, what's the obvious problem? Multiple concussions? Chronic disease?

My first thought is, if someone is not injured, they are sick. Haven't you had to wrestle with a bit of lung congestion, you can't breathe well, you body is full of white blood cells fighting the infection instead of red blood cells carrying oxygen....you get beat by guys you normally pound. My third or fourth thought might be the weight loss, but history tells us that McD knows how to do it right.

And what's going on with Logan Storley, sick also? The big question is, if they are sick, can they get over it in 10 days. If their coaches run them into the ground instead of letting them heal up....they are doomed.

My first thought is, if someone is not injured, they are sick. Haven't you had to wrestle with a bit of lung congestion, you can't breathe well, you body is full of white blood cells fighting the infection instead of red blood cells carrying oxygen....you get beat by guys you normally pound. My third or fourth thought might be the weight loss, but history tells us that McD knows how to do it right.

And what's going on with Logan Storley, sick also? The big question is, if they are sick, can they get over it in 10 days. If their coaches run them into the ground instead of letting them heal up....they are doomed.

The story is Storley was quite sick at Big Tens. McDonough has looked off all year.