Sign in to follow this  
yonz_g

Where will Braxton Amos end up?

The title of this thread should now replace the name Braxton Amos with Pete Christensen. 

Huge get for Wisconsin but at the weight they probably needed it least. Wonder where Pete Christensen winds up assuming Amos goes 197 like everyone projects? Can’t see Christensen making 184 and I think he’d be getting thrown to the wolves trying to go heavyweight in the Big Ten. 

Lack of options to fit both these guys into the lineup highlights how ridiculous it is that there are as many weight classes for guys who weigh 185 pounds or more as there are for guys who weigh 133 pounds or less.

Edited by MDogg

51 minutes ago, MDogg said:

The title of this thread should now replace the name Braxton Amos with Pete Christensen. 

Huge get for Wisconsin but at the weight they probably needed it least. Wonder where Pete Christensen winds up assuming Amos goes 197 like everyone projects? Can’t see Christensen making 184 and I think he’d be getting thrown to the wolves trying to go heavyweight in the Big Ten. 

Lack of options to fit both these guys into the lineup highlights how ridiculous it is that there are as many weight classes for guys who weigh 185 pounds or more as there are for guys who weigh 133 pounds or less.

There's a couple of things that stand out here to me. First, and maybe because the world championships are going on, but I don't think this signing is getting the talk that it deserves. This is a monster get for Wisconsin. I mean if you could have bet money on it I would have put it at 250-1 or even more. Obviously he's probably on full money so Props to Bono for pulling in the big fish. I think it's great for wrestling. That being said 197 was probably the weight they needed help the least. Of course you don't turn away a talent like Amos but like MDogg said I don't think Christensen can make 184. While my son was wrestling a match @ the Doc Buchanan, Christiansen was on deck and in looking at him I just don't see where there's room for him to shrink his body. It's certainly a good problem to have and will be interesting but put me in the group who is excited that Amos is going someplace nobody anticipated.

1 hour ago, npope said:

Word over on the WI forum is that Christensen is giving a big "thumbs up" on the deal and that there is the expectation (hope?) that Christensen will work his way down to 184. Guess we'll see.

That would be great for Wisconsin if it can happen...but I just can’t see him making 184. People who think he’s gonna make 184 in a year or two should go watch the video of him and Amos wrestling at 92kg for 3rd in Fargo in 2018. Christensen is both pretty shredded and on the tall side...and that was 14 months ago. I just can’t see him making 184lbs 2-3 years after that match...which would be 18 pounds lighter. But as you said I guess we’ll see. I’m a big Christensen fan and think both his ceiling and floor are higher than people expect at 197.

1 hour ago, MDogg said:

That would be great for Wisconsin if it can happen...but I just can’t see him making 184. People who think he’s gonna make 184 in a year or two should go watch the video of him and Amos wrestling at 92kg for 3rd in Fargo in 2018. Christensen is both pretty shredded and on the tall side...and that was 14 months ago. I just can’t see him making 184lbs 2-3 years after that match...which would be 18 pounds lighter. But as you said I guess we’ll see. I’m a big Christensen fan and think both his ceiling and floor are higher than people expect at 197.

Of course he's giving the thumbs up. If he's any kind of teammate and wants Wisconsin to do as well as possible adding Amos is certainly good step in the right direction. After going back and looking at their match at Akron I agree with Dogg. I would be stunned if he could make 184 and still be effective in 2 years. He's also appears to be taller now than he was then. Also, I'm of the belief that he may have just as high a ceiling. Christensen has a win over Cardenas who beat Amos so he may have just as much upside.

I would be surprised if Amos was a 197 lifer anyway. I see him more likely doing a Snyderesque transition and, depending on if/when he redshirts, 285 would be open to him right after 1 year at 197 with Hillger only having 2 years left when Amos first steps on campus. 

Edited by MSU158

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

I would be surprised if Amos was a 197 lifer anyway. I see him more likely doing a Snyderesque transition and, depending on if/when he redshirts, 285 would be open to him right after 1 year at 197 with Hillger only having 2 years left when Amos first steps on campus. 

It depends what he wants to do in freestyle too. If he plans to go 97kg, sure. He might try 92 though. Seems like a better fit at the moment. 

Not to mention how stacked hvwt is and comparatively weak 197 is. He is an immediate title threat at 197. At hvwt? Who knows 

Is Amos definitely going 197 is college? I’m a VT fan and someone posted that once Catka signed with VT, the coaches didn’t pursue Amos any longer cause they thought he was a heavyweight prospect. Not sure if that poster is correct though or just speculating. Either way he’s a good get for the badgers

8 hours ago, treep2000 said:

I predict that Amos will not have the results he anticipates while at Wisc.  Pin this post and check back to the next 2-3 years.  If I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit it.  But, that's my prediction . 

Your reasoning?  Is it because every blue chip anticipates being a 4Xer, or is it because the specific conditions at Wisconsin will cause him to underachieve?

Edited by jchapman

11 hours ago, Housebuye said:

It depends what he wants to do in freestyle too. If he plans to go 97kg, sure. He might try 92 though. Seems like a better fit at the moment. 

Not to mention how stacked hvwt is and comparatively weak 197 is. He is an immediate title threat at 197. At hvwt? Who knows 

Your body type and experience/willingness to rigidly manage weight are bigger concerns than trying to maintain a freestyle weight that isn't even an Olympic one.  Not to mention the fact that you have just become a student athlete with MANY concerns other than what weight you MAY wrestle to TRY to make the US Freestyle team in a different wrestling style.

I know many are now sold that these KIDS are ALL out of the gate planning for the Olympics, but I hope most of them aren't putting the cart in front of the horse.  Look at Spencer Lee.  Does anyone really not think he will be a major factor at 57kg once he goes after it?  Still, he has focused on classes, his team and folkstyle wrestling.

DI wrestling is hard enough.  Add in whatever extra grind all those extra freestyle factors would create and you have a recipe that could backfire.  Now, I say this based on his build and the fact that he doesn't appear to be someone that has ever really focused on weight management.  This is an especially significant factor with the old 215 and 220lbers.  I have seen MANY struggle mightily as "tweeners" trying to hold 197 with little to no experience doing so.

If he does go 197 all 4 years, good luck to him.  Hopefully that is more because he is closer to 197 than 220/285 vs. trying to do it for some misguided reasoning.......

I talked to Christensen right after he won his second state title this past spring.   I asked him if he is going 197 of 285 and he said 197 pretty emphatically.  With that said, I cannot see a way he could make 184 without being totally sucked out.  However, with his frame I could see him fill out as a heavyweight similar to Mason Paris or even Jacob Kasper. 

2 hours ago, Big Nasty said:

I talked to Christensen right after he won his second state title this past spring.   I asked him if he is going 197 of 285 and he said 197 pretty emphatically.  With that said, I cannot see a way he could make 184 without being totally sucked out.  However, with his frame I could see him fill out as a heavyweight similar to Mason Paris or even Jacob Kasper. 

Gross is cutting to 125 for a Olympic run so wouldn't surprise me if Bono had Christensen at 184

22 minutes ago, justafan said:

Gross is cutting to 125 for a Olympic run so wouldn't surprise me if Bono had Christensen at 184

Ive never met Gross in person so I cannot comment on him, but Christensen doesn't pass the eye test as far as being able to make the cut to 184.  He is pretty damn lean already but time will tell.  I am very interested in how this will all play out. 

16 minutes ago, Big Nasty said:

Ive never met Gross in person so I cannot comment on him, but Christensen doesn't pass the eye test as far as being able to make the cut to 184.  He is pretty damn lean already but time will tell.  I am very interested in how this will all play out. 

And Hilger is a Soph so after a Christensen RS they still overlap by 2 years so he's a 2 year starter HWT.And if he thinks he's a 197  with the new transfers rules he can look elsewhere

1 hour ago, justafan said:

And Hilger is a Soph so after a Christensen RS they still overlap by 2 years so he's a 2 year starter HWT.And if he thinks he's a 197  with the new transfers rules he can look elsewhere

If Amos redshirts Christensen could man 197 for a year and only have 1 year of overlap with Hilger, right?

Well, if what some of the prognostications as to the potential weights these guys might man, it looks like someone might ride the bench for a year or two - assuming they all stay at WI. If so, that is a problem that the "major" programs face on a regular basis. Maybe Bucky needs to learn how to manage this kind of conundrum if they want to compete with the "big" programs.

A good problem to have.

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

If Amos redshirts Christensen could man 197 for a year and only have 1 year of overlap with Hilger, right?

Correct although I don't think it's a certainty that Amos would beat out Christensen.