MSU158

So, is Jason Nolf the best DI wrestler to never win the Hodge?

Alan Fried. National Champ '94.' 129-6.  Five losses to the same guy.

Unfortunately the first year for the 'Hodge'  was '95.'

Maybe this was posted?  If so, I missed it.  Voting for this season. 

Bo Nickal
Penn State Bo Nickal (37), Jason Nolf (10), Co-Winner Nickal/Nolf (4), Yianni Diakomihalis (0), Anthony Ashnault (0)
Edited by Mphillips
None.

FRL said something today along the lines of the NCAA keeping the most dominant stat since 2012. Is that right? Not sure. But anyway, since that time Zain Retherford has had the single most dominant season in 2017, his junior year. The next single most dominant season was Jason Nolf's sophomore year. 

13 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

FRL said something today along the lines of the NCAA keeping the most dominant stat since 2012. Is that right? Not sure. But anyway, since that time Zain Retherford has had the single most dominant season in 2017, his junior year. The next single most dominant season was Jason Nolf's sophomore year. 

Nolf didn't even get on the ballot last season I don't believe.   He received three votes in '17.'

On 4/1/2019 at 6:10 PM, Perry said:

Cox was a 2 time world medalist 3x champ with wins over 2 former hodge winners in dake and Taylor. He was leaps and bounds above nolf despite having more "close" matches

I don't know about leaps and bound, and I'll just leave it at that....I'd consider Nolf one of the best college wrestlers of all-time....loved watching him compete.  I have the feeling he, along with Zain Retherford aren't done yet either.

I don't think most appreciate what a leap elite d1 to sr world level really is. We will hopefully see where nolf stands in the sr pecking order sooner than later but what Cox did in college was special. Snyder was another much better wrestler who didnt win the award but rarely wrestled outside of the post season after his freshman campaign

47 minutes ago, Perry said:

I don't think most appreciate what a leap elite d1 to sr world level really is. We will hopefully see where nolf stands in the sr pecking order sooner than later but what Cox did in college was special. Snyder was another much better wrestler who didnt win the award but rarely wrestled outside of the post season after his freshman campaign

This topic is about the Hodge.  Nolf was more dominate in his 4 years vs Cox at the collegiate level.  Also, I dont know why you use Dake as a reference?  Cox was twice his size.  

The topic as I understood it was best wrestler not who had the most dominant stats. As for dake, he chose to weigh in at 86kg so I don't accept your complaint about the size difference.  I stand by my statement that senior Cox is a better wrestler than senior nolf (not to take anything away from nolf, he is amazing)

4 minutes ago, Perry said:

The topic as I understood it was best wrestler not who had the most dominant stats. As for dake, he chose to weigh in at 86kg so I don't accept your complaint about the size difference.  I stand by my statement that senior Cox is a better wrestler than senior nolf (not to take anything away from nolf, he is amazing)

Dake went up because he had no chance of beating Burroughs and had a decent shot of beating Cox who's far larger.  If theyre the same size Dake wins.  As for his senior year Cox barely survived a match against freshman Kollin Moore.  We'll agree to disagree but Nolf is a better folk style wrestler hands down.  

Maybe he is. 

The argument for Nolf deserving to win is deeper weight class and more bonus points rate and pins in his career (more pins in PSU history and higher bonus points than Nickal).

The argument for Nickal deserving to win is having a more dominant season (higher bonus rate), more pins (including against the #2 in his division) and not getting any closer of losing (Hidlay's match against Nolf was a big factor in this one).

Like I said, a co-hodge would not be a bad idea after all, but if they really value the season more than the entire career, Nickal should get it hands down.

15 hours ago, Mphillips said:

Alan Fried. National Champ '94.' 129-6.  Five losses to the same guy.

Unfortunately the first year for the 'Hodge'  was '95.'

if they had awarded the Hodge in '94, might have been like this season is having to choose between two guys from same team. I am a huge Fried fan but as far as hypothetical Hodge award for that season something tells me 4 timer Pat Smith might have received the award.   

11 hours ago, portajohn said:

Dake went up because he had no chance of beating Burroughs and had a decent shot of beating Cox who's far larger.  If theyre the same size Dake wins.  As for his senior year Cox barely survived a match against freshman Kollin Moore.  We'll agree to disagree but Nolf is a better folk style wrestler hands down.  

Dake had no chance against Burroughs...I'd have to disagree with that assessment. I'd say more like Burroughs would be slightly favored, and not at all now.  Nolf could be compared to David Taylor in the Dake/Nolf comparison.  He certainly would score a lot more team points during a season, but could he actually beat Dake?  I'm not at all sure about that.  I've underestimated Dake every single time he wrestled Taylor, but after this last world championship, I'll never bet against him again.

Best to never win a Hodge *since its inception in 1995..

Jason Nolf

Lincoln Mcilravy

Joe Williams

TJ Williams

Greg Jones

Ed Ruth

Kellen Russell

Edited by VAtoSC

3 hours ago, Peso said:

I've underestimated Dake every single time he wrestled Taylor, but after this last world championship, I'll never bet against him again.

I'm calling your bluff. If Dake bumped up to wrestle Taylor (which will never happen in a meaningful match again), I bet you, and 90% of wrestling fans would bet on Taylor.

4 hours ago, VAtoSC said:

Best to never win a Hodge *since its inception in 1995..

Jason Nolf

Lincoln Mcilravy

Joe Williams

TJ Williams

Greg Jones

Ed Ruth

Kellen Russell

How can a three time champ, four time finalist, not even make your list of top 7? (who won olympic and world gold while still having college eligibility remaining)

Edited by Lurker

9 hours ago, KTG119 said:

if they had awarded the Hodge in '94, might have been like this season is having to choose between two guys from same team. I am a huge Fried fan but as far as hypothetical Hodge award for that season something tells me 4 timer Pat Smith might have received the award.   

And I don't disagree.  I just believe Fried was the better.  

9 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

Alan was really good....too bad he lost a year due to the sanctions against Okie State

And certainly one of the greatest high school wrestlers of all time, along with a handful of others.