Sign in to follow this  
steamboat_charlie v2

Nick Suriano: Fashion Icon

8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I'd guess just Suriano, Ashnault and Cassar.   But who I'd guess might be Italian Americans did pretty well overall

125: Picc (5th)

133: Suriano (1st)

141: McKenna? (2nd)

149: Ashnault (1st)

157: Pantaleo (3rd)

165: Joseph (2nd)

174: Labriola (6th)

184: Bonaccorsi (R12)

197: Brucki? (4th)

285: Cassar (1st)

I googled 'Cassar', it is Maltese.  McKenna sounds Irish or Scottish.  Ashnault sounds more French than Italian to me, but if somebody learned says otherwise I wont argue.

Yeah McKenna was the one I was most unsure about.   Yeah Irish or something is probably right, might have to kick him off the team.  Looks like the only other likely options at 141 are Peter Lipari or Anthony Sparacio, with Lipari notching a pigtail win.

Cassar and Ashnault don't sound Italian, but I think Anthony typically is

There was a picture of ol nicky balboa right as he first got to Rutgers that flo posted.  The words around the picture said, "Oh me and Penn State? We don't talk no mo."  I thought it was hilarious, but cant find it anywhere.  Any help?

On 4/2/2019 at 8:02 AM, Housebuye said:

I think he is fairly likely to repeat. He doesn’t wrestle freestyle so I assume he isn’t taking an Olympic shirt. 

Threats:

gross - possibly 141

fix - might shirt 

micic - might shirt

desanto - has a regular redshirt, but I don’t think he uses it

pletcher - 2 time 4th

rby - could shirt fin psu punts, 1 time 7th

phillipi - hasn’t AAd but is up there skill for skill

gomez - can beat anyone but hasn’t AAd

the weight is good, even without Gross, Fix and Micic. Without those guys though, Suriano is a pretty heavy favorite. He also beat DeSanto, micic and Fix, so he is a favorite vs those guys. Gross may be the only guy favored over him even with the weight at full strength

Suriano isn’t head and shoulders above those guys, but based on what we know right now, he is the most likely guy to win a title with the field at 100%, and all of the guys that can threaten him may not be competing at 133 this year

Micic has already redshirted.

On 4/2/2019 at 12:21 PM, 1032004 said:

I'd guess just Suriano, Ashnault and Cassar.   But who I'd guess might be Italian Americans did pretty well overall

125: Picc (5th)

133: Suriano (1st)

141: McKenna? (2nd)

149: Ashnault (1st)

157: Pantaleo (3rd)

165: Joseph (2nd)

174: Labriola (6th)

184: Bonaccorsi (R12)

197: Brucki? (4th)

285: Cassar (1st)

Brucki is definitely of a Polish background.

On 4/2/2019 at 9:56 PM, Plasmodium said:

I googled 'Cassar', it is Maltese.  McKenna sounds Irish or Scottish.  Ashnault sounds more French than Italian to me, but if somebody learned says otherwise I wont argue.

Lots of Italians, upon immigrating to the US, dropped the vowel at the end of their last name.  His last name was likely Cassari or Cassara.

10 hours ago, panewbie1 said:

Lots of Italians, upon immigrating to the US, dropped the vowel at the end of their last name.  His last name was likely Cassari or Cassara.

Can’t tell if this is sarcasm referring to Cassar specifically, but I believe the Maltese origin.  Malta is an island off he coast of Italy. 

14 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Can’t tell if this is sarcasm referring to Cassar specifically, but I believe the Maltese origin.  Malta is an island off he coast of Italy. 

Malta is very possible. I should have stated more clearly that what I proposed is a possibility not a known fact.