Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Most ambitious D1 wrestler ever...

19 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Amuchastegui from Stanford had a crazy academic/intern calendar his last year in college, think there's an article or video on it somewhere. 

one article link: https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/9716

and an excerpt from that article:

Nick Amuchastegui's academic accomplishments may well outshine his success on the mat. He is a two-time winner of the NCAA Elite 88 Award, presented to the wrestler competing at the national championships with the highest grade point average. In addition, he is a first-team Academic All-American, and Capital One/CoSIDA Men's At-Large Academic All-American of the Year

Impressive as those academic honors are, Amuchastegui has been singularly focused on making the most of his time at Stanford. He completed his undergraduate degree in the school's highly-ranked mechanical engineering program in just three years ... and is now finishing up his graduate work for a master's degree, concentrating on the subjects of thermodynamics and mechatronics.

Jamill Kelly,. 

I think a guy like him is the definition of ambitious.  Started in Junior college then went to OSU.  I don't think he ever AA.  I'm not sure if or how many times he even qualified.  Then he goes on the win Olympic Silver.  

McCain didn't wrestle DI, but I can think of a bunch of Army/Navy guys that could qualify.  Admirals Colin Grissom and Tim Szymanski(both high ranking Navy Seals) and Adm. Andy Lewis who commands the 5th Fleet.  I'm sure there are many others.

Edited by pennsyrules

On 4/1/2019 at 11:27 PM, de4856 said:

Well I don't know about John Smith, but the story about Kyle leaving home his Senior year to live and train at the OTC has been told a lot. So I would think that Kyle would have to be near or at the top of the list. 

Every Olympic gymnast does this for about six years longer than kyle did. 

On 4/7/2019 at 8:51 PM, WillieBoy said:

Ken Chertow!

Just try to get off his email list.

12 hours ago, TobusRex said:

The guy is pushing 140 pounds. Just go wring his neck, he'll take you off the list!!!

Chertow was pushing 140 about two days after his last match at 118 in the late 80s. Guessing a tad higher these days.