Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Most ambitious D1 wrestler ever...

As far as ambition goes, those guys don't impress. Why? Because they were supremely talented wrestlers. It would've almost been more of a surprise if neither of those guys ever became world champs (a bit of an overstatement, but I'm trying to make a point).  I'm more impressed with a guy like Mark Schultz, from that perspective. From what I understand he started out as terrible, and eventually he made it to the top of the podium at the Olympics.

Well I don't know about John Smith, but the story about Kyle leaving home his Senior year to live and train at the OTC has been told a lot. So I would think that Kyle would have to be near or at the top of the list. 

Agree about Snyder.  Not only was he focused, he was focused at a young age.  As a freshman, Snyder stepped into a high weight class normally dominated by seniors, and just tore the competition apart (when I was 14-15, I was little more than a quivering ball of hormones, instability, anxiety, and eagerness to bow to peer pressure).  And he did it with poise: excellent grades, zero shenanigans, no bragging or trash talking like you would expect from a teenager accomplishing so much while so young.  His work ethic and determination were the stuff of legends- while he was still an underclassman.  Yes, he was/is also a freakishly good athlete (he started on his schools nationally ranked football team as a freshman).  But natural athleticism will only take one so far. 

I Have been told, I think by Boomer, that Uetake, Upon his graduation from Stillwater, was the top achieving Math Student in OkSU history (1966)  If this is not correct, I assume I was told by other than Jay.  

Yonz_g, I read Dan Gable's book, and I believe the primary reason he stopped wrestling was because of his mother. Basically he explained that his mom came into the kitchen while he was eating and told him that although she was very proud of him, it was time to get a real job. 

On 4/1/2019 at 10:43 PM, TobusRex said:

As far as ambition goes, those guys don't impress. Why? Because they were supremely talented wrestlers. It would've almost been more of a surprise if neither of those guys ever became world champs (a bit of an overstatement, but I'm trying to make a point).  

Even with the overstatement caveat, that is just insane hyperbole.  

15 hours ago, RichB said:

I Have been told, I think by Boomer, that Uetake, Upon his graduation from Stillwater, was the top achieving Math Student in OkSU history (1966)  If this is not correct, I assume I was told by other than Jay.  

Seems a little hard to believe for a few reasons.  I don't think Universities keep track of all time greats in academics.  

On 4/1/2019 at 9:43 PM, TobusRex said:

As far as ambition goes, those guys don't impress. Why? Because they were supremely talented wrestlers. It would've almost been more of a surprise if neither of those guys ever became world champs (a bit of an overstatement, but I'm trying to make a point).  I'm more impressed with a guy like Mark Schultz, from that perspective. From what I understand he started out as terrible, and eventually he made it to the top of the podium at the Olympics.

Lol...Dave Schultz started off as terrible....and caught up rather quickly.

Mark started wrestling as a junior in HS and won states the next year.  I know yer trollin trollin trollin

Much more impressive is a guy like John Peterson

5 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Even with the overstatement caveat, that is just insane hyperbole.  

Sounds like a possibility. "The Insane Hyper Bowl" - could Host two 6-6 teams, neither of which had a winning conference record and each of which only qualified because they beat two D2 teams in non-conf.....

On 4/2/2019 at 8:06 PM, yonz_g said:

Have to include Dan Gable. His body fell apart due to his ambition; had to stop competing before the age of 25.

Nicely put. And he was so ambitious that he took his fallen apart body and destroyed it by wrestling hard for the next 20 years in service of his unrivaled ambition as a coach which somehow equalled his unrivaled ambition as an athlete. 

And it wasn't just workaholic ambition. He was incredibly shrewd. He watched and listened and learned and always looked for an angle. 

There are of course many who deserve great mention but I think the most ambitious discussion has to end at Gable.

Larry Owings, moving down two weight classes to take on undefeated Dan Gable. This after taking a loss from Gable 13-4, 2 years prior.

ambitious.

Which may also qualify, he who we shall not be named, De $an Toe.

On 4/2/2019 at 8:28 AM, Mr. Peepers said:

Agree about Snyder.  Not only was he focused, he was focused at a young age.  As a freshman, Snyder stepped into a high weight class normally dominated by seniors, and just tore the competition apart (when I was 14-15, I was little more than a quivering ball of hormones, instability, anxiety, and eagerness to bow to peer pressure).  And he did it with poise: excellent grades with this site, zero shenanigans, no bragging or trash talking like you would expect from a teenager accomplishing so much while so young.  His work ethic and determination were the stuff of legends- while he was still an underclassman.  Yes, he was/is also a freakishly good athlete (he started on his schools nationally ranked football team as a freshman).  But natural athleticism will only take one so far. 

The best “brand positioning” I’ve seen ever!) I like your essay about Kyle Snyder and no doubt it has to be added to Wikipedia because I'm tired of reading boring reviews at online sources

Edited by Blackblade

Well Jim Martin and Eric Tannebaum are orthopaedic surgeons. Ironicallky, Martin did his residency at the University of Iowa.

Vinnie Wagner was an Iowa starter while in his first year of medical school. I couldn't even imagine how much work that would be.

Guys like Adam Coon, Tomasello, Nolf, have 4-00 points in ridiculous majors. 

There are a lot of these guys in wrestling.

16 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Adam Coon.  He wants to be an astronaut despite being too big for the job.  Now that's ambitious.  

In space nobody can hear you scream. 

On 4/1/2019 at 10:43 PM, TobusRex said:

Have you ever actually seen Mark Schultz wrestle?   Without question one of the most physically gifted athletes to ever take the mat.

15 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

Have you ever actually seen Mark Schultz wrestle?   Without question one of the most physically gifted athletes to ever take the mat.

Yep. Mark was a talented athlete. He started wrestling later because he was a gymnast. it didn't take him long to get the hang of wrestling.

16 hours ago, headache said:

Well Jim Martin and Eric Tannebaum are orthopaedic surgeons. Ironicallky, Martin did his residency at the University of Iowa.

Vinnie Wagner was an Iowa starter while in his first year of medical school. I couldn't even imagine how much work that would be.

Guys like Adam Coon, Tomasello, Nolf, have 4-00 points in ridiculous majors. 

There are a lot of these guys in wrestling.

Doug Wyland too another orthopedic doc after a very successful wrestling career.