Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Now that Nickal and Nolf are done...who is 2019-2020 most exciting wrestler?

Mekhi Lewis may be one of the most athletic wrestlers in DI with incredible potential. He mentioned that he "didn't want to wrestle freestyle" in his post-match interview, but his coach made him...resulting in a Junior World Gold. 

This kid has incredible potential, and I am excited to see him develop both in college and on the world level.

It might be better to appreciate having had the opportunity to watch rare talents like Nolf and Nickal compete rather than to expect to see that kind of domination and showmanship year after year, Cinnabons.

Edited by pamela

10 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Demas.

Even Yianni fears him.

Demas is terrific.  Yianni, I think, fears no one, but you could tell at the end of their quarter that Yianni respects Demas a lot.  That match was must-see; Yianni's two takedowns were among the best flurries of the tournament. 

Yianni is my answer.  Frequent unique and scintillating stuff -- including in huge matches.  His two finals wins, and this year's semi win over Eierman and  dual win over McKenna are other good examples.

He's not as dominant as Nolf and Nickal,  but is a highest level guy with flash who people seem to like and like to watch.  And the flip side of him not being as dominant is that the tightrope he walks at times adds to the must-see.

I expect someone besides Spencer Lee and Zahid to break out next year. 

Maybe Hidlay - he will need to open up a bit more

anthony Valencia - he has always had the talent

yianni - at some point he is going to go from winning everything to dominating everything. He is still 19...

seth Gross - we will see how he does when he comes back, but top wrestlers who can get the first takedown are a good candidate

fix - hasn’t shown this ability in D1 yet, but he has the talent. Just needs to figure out how to break guys earlier. 

4 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Not trying to start something, just curious. Do you not find Lee to be exciting?

Lee is dominant but not exciting in that he pretty much wins using the same 2 or 3 moves every match.  What made Nickal and Nolf exciting was that they had a dozen different ways to win.

Spencer is likely going to be a 4x champ but he's going to win all his matches the same way.  Not exciting, but super dominant.

2018 NCAA Tournament Spencer was in that exciting category.  Knee brace off, he looked particularly fresh and free, and pulled off some fun moves like the NaTo pin.  But he hasn't looked quite like that any other time, and generally he doesn't have that flash like Demas, Yianni, Gomez.  

21 hours ago, russelscout said:

Not trying to start something, just curious. Do you not find Lee to be exciting?

I actually love his style (I enjoy top wrestling when they actually work for turns instead of just trying to ride), just wanted to list different people besides him. In my mind dominant is always must see action. 

5 hours ago, VAtoSC said:

I actually love his style (I enjoy top wrestling when they actually work for turns instead of just trying to ride), just wanted to list different people besides him. In my mind dominant is always must see action. 

I see the idea where he is not as exciting though. Against everyone except maybe 8 guys in college right now he can beat with a hi-c/firemans and his top game. I do think he does attack both sides well with good variety and has great front head game with great re-attacks, but his hi-c is world class. This is one thing I worry about Nolf going forward. He does so many things so well, but what does he do better than anyone in the world? I am not sure about that. Also with Lee, I think his scrambling ability is underrated.

Edited by russelscout

I've heard great thing about Alirez, never had a chance to see him wrestle in person yet. 

My big question for him would how much will he be able to improve in that room? I know North Colorado has a good recruiting class coming in and Nickerson was a great wrestler himself, but is there enough talent in that room to really push him? Genuine question also, are there people in the room I don't know about? RTC? 

1 minute ago, VAtoSC said:

I've heard great thing about Alirez, never had a chance to see him wrestle in person yet. 

My big question for him would how much will he be able to improve in that room? I know North Colorado has a good recruiting class coming in and Nickerson was a great wrestler himself, but is there enough talent in that room to really push him? Genuine question also, are there people in the room I don't know about? RTC? 

Don't know, but he is pretty damn good already. 

4 hours ago, VAtoSC said:

Not sure if it will be the best room for him, but he'll have some pretty tough practice partners in Theorius Robison and Mosha Schwartz (coming in at the same time).