AIW-HS

Ed Ruth...what could have been?

Random question that popped in my head today as for some reason YouTube put An Ed Ruth NCAA title match my playlist today. If he had really wanted it how good could he have been internationally? 

I would say not that good.  Taylor smoked him shortly after college.  Maybe 2nd or 3rd best at the weight, but I doubt he would have ever made an Olympic or world team.

40 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

I would say not that good.  Taylor smoked him shortly after college.  Maybe 2nd or 3rd best at the weight, but I doubt he would have ever made an Olympic or world team.

I would not say smoked him if you saw the match.  It was a exciting match till Taylor get a bunch of points real quick at the end.  I am not sure if they wrestled again after that.  As good as Taylor looked there Dake made him look like a amatuer in the finals.

I would not say smoked him if you saw the match.  It was a exciting match till Taylor get a bunch of points real quick at the end.  I am not sure if they wrestled again after that.  As good as Taylor looked there Dake made him look like a amatuer in the finals.
Ed really didn't transition to freestyle well.

He could score, but he kept his hips too high and was turned easily.

I think the match with Reader was indicvidive of Ruth's freestyle career.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

Ed really didn't transition to freestyle well.

He could score, but he kept his hips too high and was turned easily.

I think the match with Reader was indicvidive of Ruth's freestyle career.

After watching the match,  I am more convinced than ever that freestyle scoring is a bunch of BS and that the sport is ridiculous.

Weight change rules would have helped Ed big time, he was a small 189 with day before weighins and he probably could have done 79kilos nowadays with a little discipline.  Just imagine him vs Zahid, that would be fun

Sorry you feel that way. Ruth's weird style has led to various scoring cycles during his bouts.

Freestyle scoring is about 100% better than folkstall.

Well, I always thought Ed Ruth was going to have great success on the Senior Level, but I guess it wasn't to be. As far as Freestyle scoring is concerned, I agree it can get a little subjective, and hopefully they make progress in cleaning that up, but I like what they have done with Freestyle since the ball drop era. Lastly, it can depend on who's wrestling, but generally, I would rather watch a Freestyle match than Folk style. 

Ed Ruth graduated in 2014 and made the world team the same year. If he'd have stuck with freestyle for more than five minutes, he could have been as good as anyone, but he clearly wasn't interested. He barely scratched the surface of his wrestling potential.

15 hours ago, cjc007 said:

Sorry you feel that way. Ruth's weird style has led to various scoring cycles during his bouts.

FS would be ok if tilts were w/pause. This is where folk is better-- if the pin is supposed to be the name of the game. Also more definitive than a blur. But I like the OOB cuz it keeps you in the middle.

12 hours ago, IronChef said:

Ed Ruth graduated in 2014 and made the world team the same year. If he'd have stuck with freestyle for more than five minutes, he could have been as good as anyone, but he clearly wasn't interested. He barely scratched the surface of his wrestling potential.

This pretty much sums it up

On 4/2/2019 at 6:42 PM, TripNSweep said:

He placed 5th at worlds didn't he?  He couldn't have been all that bad. 

major untapped potential in free for sure but I thought he placed much lower the year he made world team?

On 4/2/2019 at 7:19 PM, cjc007 said:

Not here to compare with folk, which has its own issues, but rather just to say that any sport where if the ref were a different guy that the results could be diametrically polar opposites in terms of scoring results is bogus. The ref on the mat is giving points that seemed to conform to my understanding of the sport (and being confirmed by at least one other judge) and then they have a conversation and completely flip the scoring...and then go back out and continue to score and flip again. That is ridiculous - period. Not enjoyable or entertaining for viewers or competitors.