TheJimReaper

Mason Manville OR

36 minutes ago, ResiliteMarine said:

His other focus is Army ROTC. My guess is he would like to get commissioned and wrestle Greco for the U.S. Army.

Tobus was talking about Fix, not Manville.

4 hours ago, ResiliteMarine said:

His other focus is Army ROTC. My guess is he would like to get commissioned and wrestle Greco for the U.S. Army.

I sincerely hope that works out for him because it’s incredible (not in the most complimentary way) what lengths he is taking to try to achieve whatever his goals are at this point. You have to respect his commitment, even if you shake your head about the path he’s taking. 

Manville and Kerkvliet, among others, make a mockery of the college system.  There are thousands of more serious students working multiple jobs trying to actually achieve an education.  If you’re not in some small way serious about an education, get out of the way and train full time.

i applaud their talent and dedication to my favorite sport but they are in no way student-athletes.  Only a nuthugger would think otherwise.

SOME people graduate law or medical school before some these guys leave college.

Edited by Sstern

32 minutes ago, Sstern said:

Manville and Kerkvliet, among others, make a mockery of the college system.  There are thousands of more serious students working multiple jobs trying to actually achieve an education.  If you’re not in some small way serious about an education, get out of the way and train full time.

i applaud their talent and dedication to my favorite sport but they are in no way student-athletes.  Only a nuthugger would think otherwise.

SOME people graduate law or medical school before some these guys leave college.

I don't see a parallel between Manville and Kerkvliet. One has been around State College taking classes and wrestling, the other verbally committed to 4, and signed a NLI to one, and took tOSU classes on-line. There seems to be a greater parallel between Manville and Fix. In addition to that, who is to say that they are not achieving educational curricula? The burden is on the family since there is not an allocation of NCAA Scholarship $ for gray-shirts and red-shirts. The true mockery is the football factory where you stay eligible for three years and hit the NFL, or the one and done basketball factories. Those are the mockery.

Edited by 82bordeaux
correction

College athletics is a mockery due in large part to the mockery that a college education has become. That is obviously a different conversation than this board so I'll stick to 4.1 questions.

1) How can you fault wrestlers that want to perform at the highest world level from taking the best available paths as currently available and within the rules?

1a) This only affects a very small number of high-caliber athletes. Are you taking that into consideration?

2) How can you fault coaches that oversee a P&L in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, with salaries typically at or well above 6 figures, and have been involved directly with this system for decades for providing the best available paths as currently available and within the rules?

3) Is Mason Manville breaking any rules or does it just bother you that he's taking a non-traditional route to once again become a world team member and then give service to the US Army after the conclusion of his athletic career?

4) There is no Master's or Doctorate or end-degree in wrestling. Is this really any different if that is the end-goal and you pick up a master's in an academic field along the way? Does that extra education really hurt anyone?

Edited by bnwtwg

5 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

College athletics is a mockery due in large part to the mockery that a college education has become. That is obviously a different conversation than this board so I'll stick to 2 questions.

1) How can you fault wrestlers that want to perform at the highest world level from taking the best available paths as currently available and within the rules?

1a) This only affects a very small number of high-caliber athletes. Are you taking that into consideration?

2) How can you fault coaches that oversee a P&L in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, with salaries typically at or well above 6 figures, and have been involved directly with this system for decades for providing the best available paths as currently available and within the rules?

3) Is Mason Manville breaking any rules or does it just bother you that he's taking a non-traditional route to once again become a world team member and then give service to the US Army after the conclusion of his athletic career?

4) There is no Master's or Doctorate or end-degree in wrestling. Is this really any different if that is the end-goal and you pick up a master's in an academic field along the way? Does that extra education really hurt anyone?

Best post in this thread in my opinion.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

College athletics is a mockery due in large part to the mockery that a college education has become. That is obviously a different conversation than this board so I'll stick to 4.1 questions.

I'm not really "bothered" by what Manville is doing.  I just said I hope he has success in Greco so that the wrestling part of it can be worthwhile, since it seems he's got a tough road to being a starter assuming he stays at PSU.

Totally agree that it's great if he gets a grad degree.    Hopefully that's what he's going for.

Overall, I have no issue with regular redshirts or Olympic redshirts.   BTW, regular redshirts get scholarships don't they?   But I'm slightly "bothered" by grayshirts, particularly if those grayshirts are living near their future school which is not near where they lived previously.  IMO one of 2 things are happening - either these guys are being supported by the schools/RTC's before they even become a student which doesn't seem right, or this is a major advantage for families that have the means to pay for their kids to live elsewhere and primarily focus on wrestling.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I'm not really "bothered" by what Manville is doing.  I just said I hope he has success in Greco so that the wrestling part of it can be worthwhile, since it seems he's got a tough road to being a starter assuming he stays at PSU.

Totally agree that it's great if he gets a grad degree.    Hopefully that's what he's going for.

Overall, I have no issue with regular redshirts or Olympic redshirts.   BTW, regular redshirts get scholarships don't they?   But I'm slightly "bothered" by grayshirts, particularly if those grayshirts are living near their future school which is not near where they lived previously.  IMO one of 2 things are happening - either these guys are being supported by the schools/RTC's before they even become a student which doesn't seem right, or this is a major advantage for families that have the means to pay for their kids to live elsewhere and primarily focus on wrestling.

Families of "means" always have an advantage. Although like most sports, if you are an exceptional talent there always seems to be people willing to "help out", whether it be tuition assistance at prep schools, offering housing, etc...

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Not for free though right?

Be like the rest of the students and have your parents pay for it or take out loans. If Fix wins a medal in 2020, then has a great international career he won’t need a degree to make a living as a college or RTC coach.

10 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

Yes I know. It was a joke. I was full academic scholarship but still had the same college transitions course as athletic scholarship students.

Yeah, right! A HWT on an academic scholarship!  :)  (I wish the regular emojis worked here)