Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Shakur Got His 6th Year

NCAA handing out 6th years like this is bad for the sport. We don’t need 24 year olds year olds wrestling college. Not having 4 seasons of competition should be the risk that comes with using your redshirt as a true freshman just to sit and train...you might actually get hurt and need that redshirt down the road. 

10 scholarships are hard enough to spread with guys cycling through in 4 and 5 years.

For those that don't like the 6-year plan, wait until we have some of these 8-year guys roll around with their four year greyshirt, olympic redshirt, standard redshirt, medical redshirt plans.  Guys could literally be headed grad school by the time they use their first season of "eligibility."  Throw in your standard elementary and middle school "redshirts" and you've got a 30 year old 6x redshirt senior.  

I actually don't mind the injury redshirt, but I think it should be established that you qualify for the exception much closer to the actual injury taking place.  As it stands currently, coaches' can play both sides knowing full well the committee is just going to rubber stamp a 6th year if a guy (a) didn't hit 30% of competitions and (B) gets a note from the team doc saying he was dinged up.  

33 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

According to Casey Cunningham's Season Ending Recap. They are still waiting to hear about Cassar. 

Congrats to him, if true.  I would never begrudge someone another chance to pursue his dreams.  Do I think it was deserved?  Not really.  Am I happy for him that he got it?  Absolutely.

Now, STAY HEALTHY and go get yourself another podium finish!

29 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Congrats to him, if true.  I would never begrudge someone another chance to pursue his dreams.  Do I think it was deserved?  Not really.  Am I happy for him that he got it?  Absolutely.

Now, STAY HEALTHY and go get yourself another podium finish!

Right there with you. Don't know how he got it, but I'm glad he did. Seems like a good kid and he's fun to watch when he's healthy.

6 hours ago, MDogg said:

NCAA handing out 6th years like this is bad for the sport. We don’t need 24 year olds year olds wrestling college. Not having 4 seasons of competition should be the risk that comes with using your redshirt as a true freshman just to sit and train...you might actually get hurt and need that redshirt down the road. 

10 scholarships are hard enough to spread with guys cycling through in 4 and 5 years.

That is the old model.   The NLWC enabled a new model.  It works better than Tom Brady's salary deferment because after eligibility exhaustion - be it 5 or 6 years - the deferment doesnt hit the salary cap.  ;)

43 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

If Shakur is back could PSU let M Hall take an ORS and get Brooks down to 174 for one year? 

LOL...yeah, Shakur can replace Hall in the point tables....

That's kinda like the political advice the Dems give the Republicans, and vice versa. "Hey, here's a really bad, terrible idea...let's see if we can trick those other guys into thinking it's a GOOD idea"....

11 hours ago, MDogg said:

Worrying about how to spread around scholarships does not seem to be an issue for 1 team at least. 

17 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

For those that don't like the 6-year plan, wait until we have some of these 8-year guys roll around with their four year greyshirt, olympic redshirt, standard redshirt, medical redshirt plans.  Guys could literally be headed grad school by the time they use their first season of "eligibility."  Throw in your standard elementary and middle school "redshirts" and you've got a 30 year old 6x redshirt senior.  

I actually don't mind the injury redshirt, but I think it should be established that you qualify for the exception much closer to the actual injury taking place.  As it stands currently, coaches' can play both sides knowing full well the committee is just going to rubber stamp a 6th year if a guy (a) didn't hit 30% of competitions and (B) gets a note from the team doc saying he was dinged up.  

Miklus was from the class of 2012 I believe and just finished his college campaign 7 years later. Hall of ASU will likely be in the same boat next season 

12 hours ago, lu1979 said:

If Shakur is back could PSU let M Hall take an ORS and get Brooks down to 174 for one year? 

Isn't Brooks slated at 174 anyway? (No sarcasm, I'm honestly asking). 

If Cassar gets his 6th year PSU is going to be scary.....

165- Cenzo

174- Hall/Brooks

184- Shak

197- Conell/Beard

HWT- Cassar

YIKES!

I used to think Brooks would go 174, but he has recently wrestled freestyle 86Kg and his father posted on PSU board saying 184. Brooks lost to that guy that Mehki Lewis beat for the world junior title. I think his name is Abakarov. 

3 hours ago, simple said:

Who has the NCAA denied of a 6th year? I think they just don’t want to deal with a potential lawsuit. Dumb that you can get a 6th year for being JV. Sets such a bad precedent that can be abused by top teams.

The NCAA used to have a soft limit on 6th year waivers, like they'd only give so many per program across all sports in whatever time period, but they've since relaxed the rule.

11 minutes ago, cangemi said:

Maybe they have Hall get Olympic redshirt wrestle Brooks? Then Bring Brooks at 184 and Hall back?

WILD

actually did Hall ever redshirt?

Hall has not used a redshirt. He's going into his 4th year at PSU.

I don't see Brooks wrestling this year, imo he's going to regular/Olympic RS and replace Shak at 184 after next year.  I'm guessing that's the whole reason he greyshirted, to allow for this 6th year Shak situation.