gallison

Allen High School Miracle! (Texas)

Read  this on Twitter today so I  an't take credit.

A trillion to one odds!

In 2019 , as you know, Bo Nickal won the Hodge award for the best collegiate  wrestler during  the 2018-19 season.

Also,  in 2018-19 Kyler Murray won the Heisman award for the best  collegiate football player  in the nation.

Both amazing athletes are from the same Allen high school in Texas.   Probably had the same English class. 

Can any other high school  in the nation claim this?  Wow! 

34 minutes ago, gallison said:

Read  this on Twitter today so I  an't take credit.

A trillion to one odds!

In 2019 , as you know, Bo Nickal won the Hodge award for the best collegiate  wrestler during  the 2018-19 season.

Also,  in 2018-19 Kyler Murray won the Heisman award for the best  collegiate football player  in the nation.

Both amazing athletes are from the same Allen high school in Texas.   Probably had the same English class. 

Can any other high school  in the nation claim this?  Wow! 

Bo really wanted to follow in Kyler's footsteps and go to Oklahoma, but OU didn't have a wrestling program at the time.....

Let's be very honest about Allen High School.  The enrollment numbers are 5100+ (grade 10-12) students so as you can see athletics are a major part of the school.  The football stadium cost 60 million and seats 18,000.  If you have 2550 boys to select from you should have a great high school athletic program.  If Allen High School had the freshmen on campus that would be 6375 students or 3188 potential boys to choose from for athletics.  Having been on the campus I can assure you that ALL the sports facilities are better than most colleges around the country.  Being a wrestling board some people will ask why Allen is not a Top 10 team nationally every year.  IMO, the answer is two fold: 

1.  Football is KING in Texas and the best athletes participate in football

2.  The coaching staffs  do not do a very good job of sharing athletes.  Most of the better athletes only participate in one sport.  

Edited by Bryan

41 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Let's be very honest about Allen High School.  The enrollment numbers are 5100+ (grade 10-12) students so as you can see athletics are a major part of the school.  The football stadium cost 60 million and seats 18,000.  If you have 2550 boys to select from you should have a great high school athletic program.  If Allen High School had the freshmen on campus that would be 6375 students or 3188 potential boys to choose from for athletics.  Having been on the campus I can assure you that ALL the sports facilities are better than most colleges around the country.  Being a wrestling board some people will ask why Allen is not a Top 10 team nationally every year.  IMO, the it's two fold: 

1.  Football is KING in Texas and the best athletes participate in football

2.  The coaching staffs  do not do a very good job of sharing athletes.  Most of the better athletes only participate in one sport.  

Agreed.  I've lived in Texas (Missouri Alumni) since 1991.  Both my sons wrestled in a Texas high school.  My youngest played football and wrestled as a 7th grader.  When 8th grade rolled around he decided to wrestle year round.  One day the football coach saw him using the school weight room; no one else there.  The coach was so mad he quit football he ran him out of the weight room saying the room was meant for football players only.  I grew up playing football yet the attitudes in Texas were so horrible it really turned me off.  I've seen the booster club award the football program $10,000 for a year end banquet (for a losing record) but then debate whether the wrestling (and other sports) team would get $100-200 for some small item.

Your points about Allen are very true,  but there are other high schools nationally that are of similar size, or recruit wrestlers from other schools, or even convince wrestlers to stay back in school a year so they are older by the time they are competing in high school.   I still think having the Heisman and Hodge award winners at the same school is pretty amazing.

If this is not an amazing accomplishment, tell me which high school has ever done this before?  (no, my sons did not go to Allen)

Didn't AJ Ferrari go to Allen also before he transferred to Blair and then Bergen Catholic?

That is quite an accomplishment for the high school though to have two of the best athletes in the country win those awards in the same year.

*Sidenote-Gable Steveson is best friends with Tre Jones the starting PG from Duke and both went to Apple Valley together last year. 

about 10,000 schools with both wrestling and football. So it would be, on the surface 1 in 100,000,000. Big frickin difference between that and 1 in 1,000,000,000,000. But considering the gigantic size of Allen, with maybe 1/3,000th of all High School boys (Srs only, or sophs thru seniors) it should  be 1 chance in 9 million this year. One in a million this decade(how long has the Hodge been Around?).  Then consider other very big schools and it is in the order of 1 in a couple thousand.  

1 hour ago, gallison said:

Agreed.  I've lived in Texas (Missouri Alumni) since 1991.  Both my sons wrestled in a Texas high school.  My youngest played football and wrestled as a 7th grader.  When 8th grade rolled around he decided to wrestle year round.  One day the football coach saw him using the school weight room; no one else there.  The coach was so mad he quit football he ran him out of the weight room saying the room was meant for football players only.  I grew up playing football yet the attitudes in Texas were so horrible it really turned me off.  I've seen the booster club award the football program $10,000 for a year end banquet (for a losing record) but then debate whether the wrestling (and other sports) team would get $100-200 for some small item.

Your points about Allen are very true,  but there are other high schools nationally that are of similar size, or recruit wrestlers from other schools, or even convince wrestlers to stay back in school a year so they are older by the time they are competing in high school.   I still think having the Heisman and Hodge award winners at the same school is pretty amazing.

If this is not an amazing accomplishment, tell me which high school has ever done this before?  (no, my sons did not go to Allen)

I coached at multiple HS in Texas.  Football is indeed king and anyone who doesn't understand that will struggle.  I supported the football team and didn't resent their supremacy, and I instead benefited from it.  I worked with a football coach who was a Texas good old boy who had zero experience with the sport (he had never attended or coached at a school that had a wrestling team), but because I supported him he would come watch practices and ask questions and eventually became a big fan.  I never let underclass football players cut a pound and I never let dual sport kids quit football until they were at least juniors and obviously weren't going anywhere in the sport. And even then I gave the Football coach a heads up.

Every year freshman football would end and I was brought in to present to the 100+ freshman players that every single one of them should wrestle in the winter.  Their coaches gave their full support behind me.  I never had a year where less than 30 tried it.  

The football booster club purchased me new mats and outfitted my new wrestling room.  The room was the old football weight room that he gave me after they got a new weight room.  

The OL coach was also the powerlifting coach and he gave me professional level workout plans.  I'd tell him all the details I could (Ex. March-June I want weight and power gain, we'll lift 4 days a week for 45 minutes) and he'd design the program for every season of our development.  Not many get access to that kind of personal help.  Every HS in Texas also has athletic periods during the school day so I had my wrestlers year round for at least an hour a day of class time (not counting after school).  

The bottom line is that Texas is Football obsessed but is also sports obsessed overall.  If you go heads up with the football team you lose no matter what.  Football coaches are insecure Tyrants at that level.  But if you're humble with them, they're predisposed to love wrestling as a tough guy sport, and they control amazing assets that our sport can only dream of.  

Edited by boconnell

44 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

Im guessing it’s much more rare to expect a Texas guy to be in the running for a Hodge than it is for a Texas guy to be in the running for a Heisman.   TX has produced 10 winners including  Murray.  

Absolutely.  You've already heard about Texas football being the #1 Texas sport by far.  As the old saying goes, spring football is # 2.

Texas wrestling has come along way though, since we moved here in 91 from Missouri.  There's been a big influx of better coaching and an increase in better quality athletes.  "Freestyle and Greco have also seen rapid increases in participation.  In the 90's many of the Texas high schools had their head football coach also fill the athletic director spot (to afford a higher salary).  In turn, they'd assign one of their def back coaches to coach wrestling.  Not because he knew the difference between a single leg and double leg take down, but because he needed more money to stay at that school to coach football. 

Pleased to see the progress in Texas.  Can't wait to see one of the Texas universities start a division one program.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to be a big fan of Mizzou and the great work everyone there is doing.

20 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Bo really wanted to follow in Kyler's footsteps and go to Oklahoma, but OU didn't have a wrestling program at the time.....

what? OU had a program.