Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Cornell has 4 title contenders in 2020

Cornell is looking solid for next season. As always, they overperformed at NCAAs, dramatically upping their stock at 125 (went from potential AA to title contender) and 184 (same).

Going into next season, Cornell has 4 guys who could make the finals

125 - Arujao - There are a lot of guys returning, including Spencer Lee (could olympic shirt), Mueller, Picc (Vito beat him in a fun match...hope we see that again) and Rivera (went 2-0 vs Arujao at ncaas). Especially if Lee is out, Arujao has an excellent shot at making the finals. With his bonus points and another year under his belt, I bet he scores 17+ points at ncaas.

141 - Yianni - Eierman is taking an Olympic shirt, McKenna graduated - I think Nick Lee an Dom Demas both pose an outside threat, but Yianni is one of the biggest favorites for a title at the moment. Weaker field than the past 2 years by a fair margin. 24 points - I think yianni will be mad he didn't score bonus this year. 

184 - Max Dean will start the season ranked #1. Unless he has made a major jump, there are 5 or 6 guys in contention for the title alongside him. He is all but a lock to AA at a minimum and with he tends to turn it on at NCAAs. Even his freshman year when he placed 8th, he exceeded expectations. This kid was a borderline top 100 recruit coming into college, his coaches are 100% invested in him, he is a grinding top wrestler which is a style that tends to overperform at NCAAs and his neutral game, while his weakest position, is still easily top 10 in the country at this weight, if not top 5. I expect him to place 3rd at worst. 15+ points. 

197 - Darmstadt is an unknown, but he placed 6th 2 years ago and has been healthy enough to train for a few months now. He is going to come into the season healthy, in shape and the weight is once again weak. I do think Kollin Moore is a terrible style matchup for him, but I could see him taking out Brucki and Warner. I expect there to be a freshman or two who steps up at this weight, but Darmstadt's style is tailor made to take out inexprienced freshman. They might score a takedown or two on him, but he will reverse and turn them. I think it is reasonable to assume he will have improved on the feet by the time we see him next given he is training with Dean, Honis, coach dean and Dake everyday. I expect him to be top 4 at a minimum scoring at least 14 points.

If this were to play out: Vito 3rd, Yianni 1st, Dean 3rd, Darmstadt 4th - Cornell will be at 70 points. They then have guys like Tucker at 133, potentially Womack and Chavez  if they comes back, some highly ranked true freshman who may jump right in,  and NCAA qualifier level guys at 149-165. With every power team having a down year (seriously - all but maybe Iowa have a lot of question marks), this could be Cornell's year. 

Can Vito hold 125 again is a big question for Cornell - it will be really good for the team if he can with Tucker back at 133.  If Chavez can be back at 165 that would be a big plus for them also.  If he is not planning on going next year they may want to bring in Ramirez or Reinche right away if they can make 165 for the year.  I would guess that Zahid will move up to 184 but Dean will still start the year at #2 and be a real threat to make the finals.  His improvement since last year was impressive and I expect that will continue.  i also wonder if they may bring in Fernandez right away or if he goes the grey shirt route.  Furman and Janney didn't do a lot during their grey shirt year.  149 & 157 remain their weakest spots.  

26 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Can Vito hold 125 again is a big question for Cornell - it will be really good for the team if he can with Tucker back at 133.  If Chavez can be back at 165 that would be a big plus for them also.  If he is not planning on going next year they may want to bring in Ramirez or Reinche right away if they can make 165 for the year.  I would guess that Zahid will move up to 184 but Dean will still start the year at #2 and be a real threat to make the finals.  His improvement since last year was impressive and I expect that will continue.  i also wonder if they may bring in Fernandez right away or if he goes the grey shirt route.  Furman and Janney didn't do a lot during their grey shirt year.  149 & 157 remain their weakest spots.  

Good stuff

I really don't think Vito struggles to make 125. He was planning on going 133 without cutting much, simply because he is that good. I don't see any way he goes 133 unless Chaz and Yianni bump up too. It isn't that big of a pull for him. he could grow and change all of this.

Chavez has a ton of potential. I still don't know why he sat the 2nd semester this year. He weighed in for some duals, so we know he was healthy enough to wrestle and on weight, plus was the better option. Really weird situation for Cornell. I hope it was something real, because Cornell had a legitimate shot at placing 4th this year. They were only 16.5 behind Iowa. With just 3.5 more points, they would've placed 5th instead of 7th. Chavez could've gotten them to 5th at a minimum. He was unlikely to score enough to place 4th, but man not the right year to sit. 

I have mixed feelings on Ramirez going right away. He looks amazing at times, but also has some technical issues other blue chippers don't. Don't mean to bash the guy - he clearly has the potential to AA. I'm just not as high on him as other guys similarly ranked in HS. 

Good call on Zahid. You are probably right and have said he would move up this year most likely and not take a shirt. Just slipped my mind. 

Next season can't come soon enough

45 minutes ago, VAtoSC said:

I thought Chavez has one more year of eligibility but won't be able to use it at Cornell? 

Word is he will graduate this spring; if true, then you are correct - has eligibility left, but can't wrestle for Cornell.

3 hours ago, Perry said:

I know some people say Vito doesnt have that bad of a cut but I can't believe that. He has the frame to easily be a 133 or even 141 pounder

During NCAAs Rob Koll said something along the lines of: Vito is a big 125 but can and wants to stay there because of his plans to compete at 57kg in freestyle in the future. I'm guessing he'll try and stay put and then consider bumping up his junior or senior year to make room for Yianni's brother.

Edited by pamela

1 hour ago, red blades said:

Word is he will graduate this spring; if true, then you are correct - has eligibility left, but can't wrestle for Cornell.

He was honored at Senior Day this year, so he's gone for Cornell for sure.

4 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I'm predicting that Fernandes (note the 's' and not a 'z') goes as a true freshman heavyweight.  I wouldn't be surprised if Ramirez goes 165 as a true freshman, as well.  One would think that top-rated HS guys (Fernandes is #6 and Ramirez is #2 at 170, according to Flo) would be competitive as freshman.

18 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Cornell is looking solid for next season. As always, they overperformed at NCAAs, dramatically upping their stock at 125 (went from potential AA to title contender) and 184 (same).

Going into next season, Cornell has 4 guys who could make the finals

125 - Arujao - There are a lot of guys returning, including Spencer Lee (could olympic shirt), Mueller, Picc (Vito beat him in a fun match...hope we see that again) and Rivera (went 2-0 vs Arujao at ncaas). Especially if Lee is out, Arujao has an excellent shot at making the finals. With his bonus points and another year under his belt, I bet he scores 17+ points at ncaas.

141 - Yianni - Eierman is taking an Olympic shirt, McKenna graduated - I think Nick Lee an Dom Demas both pose an outside threat, but Yianni is one of the biggest favorites for a title at the moment. Weaker field than the past 2 years by a fair margin. 24 points - I think yianni will be mad he didn't score bonus this year. 

184 - Max Dean will start the season ranked #1. Unless he has made a major jump, there are 5 or 6 guys in contention for the title alongside him. He is all but a lock to AA at a minimum and with he tends to turn it on at NCAAs. Even his freshman year when he placed 8th, he exceeded expectations. This kid was a borderline top 100 recruit coming into college, his coaches are 100% invested in him, he is a grinding top wrestler which is a style that tends to overperform at NCAAs and his neutral game, while his weakest position, is still easily top 10 in the country at this weight, if not top 5. I expect him to place 3rd at worst. 15+ points. 

197 - Darmstadt is an unknown, but he placed 6th 2 years ago and has been healthy enough to train for a few months now. He is going to come into the season healthy, in shape and the weight is once again weak. I do think Kollin Moore is a terrible style matchup for him, but I could see him taking out Brucki and Warner. I expect there to be a freshman or two who steps up at this weight, but Darmstadt's style is tailor made to take out inexprienced freshman. They might score a takedown or two on him, but he will reverse and turn them. I think it is reasonable to assume he will have improved on the feet by the time we see him next given he is training with Dean, Honis, coach dean and Dake everyday. I expect him to be top 4 at a minimum scoring at least 14 points.

If this were to play out: Vito 3rd, Yianni 1st, Dean 3rd, Darmstadt 4th - Cornell will be at 70 points. They then have guys like Tucker at 133, potentially Womack and Chavez  if they comes back, some highly ranked true freshman who may jump right in,  and NCAA qualifier level guys at 149-165. With every power team having a down year (seriously - all but maybe Iowa have a lot of question marks), this could be Cornell's year. 

What’s even more exciting is they all return in 2021. With a more experienced supporting cast.