FriendlyCamper

Christian "Twitter Fingers" Pyles

I was also going to start a thread about this series of tweets. It started with Mason Beckman saying, “Illegal recruiting is an issue that needs addressed IMMEDIATELY in the world of college wrestling. The system as it stands is completely broken, and it's bad for the sport.”

When asked specifically what violations he’s talking about he says, “Calling/visiting kids that have already signed or aren't old enough for it to be allowed, customizing materials (stuff like magnets) for each kid, promising internships with an alumni, etc.”

Then says he won’t publicly name names.

Pyles then jumps in and claims coaches won’t name names because they don’t also want to be accused and that there are many clear violations with B1G schools. He gets called out about naming names since he claims to know, but says it’s not his job. Goes on to say he’s and others at Flo are not reporters or journalists and needlessly attacks Hamilton.

It’s pretty obvious why Pyles/Flo won’t name names. They’re cowards. They’re too friendly with most of the major programs and would lose access they get now.

They’re also extremely hypocritical about the journalist thing. They’ll claim it when it’s good for them(passes, access, pools) but not when it’s bad.

NCAA wrestling is too incestuous. People are afraid to do anything about any violations they know of because they’ll get blackballed. Who’s going have some balls and name names with proof?

The major B1G violators that I know of right now are tOSU, Iowa, Wis, and PSU

11 minutes ago, simple said:

Pyles then jumps in and claims coaches won’t name names because they don’t also want to be accused and that there are many clear violations with B1G schools. He gets called out about naming names since he claims to know, but says it’s not his job. Goes on to say he’s and others at Flo are not reporters or journalists and needlessly attacks Hamilton.

This.

It’s pretty obvious why Pyles/Flo won’t name names. They’re cowards. They’re too friendly with most of the major programs and would lose access they get now.

This.

They’re also extremely hypocritical about the journalist thing. They’ll claim it when it’s good for them(passes, access, pools) but not when it’s bad.

This.

NCAA wrestling is too incestuous. People are afraid to do anything about any violations they know of because they’ll get blackballed. Who’s going have some balls and name names with proof?

This.

Edited by jon

15 minutes ago, simple said:

I was also going to start a thread about this series of tweets. It started with Mason Beckman saying, “Illegal recruiting is an issue that needs addressed IMMEDIATELY in the world of college wrestling. The system as it stands is completely broken, and it's bad for the sport.”

When asked specifically what violations he’s talking about he says, “Calling/visiting kids that have already signed or aren't old enough for it to be allowed, customizing materials (stuff like magnets) for each kid, promising internships with an alumni, etc.”

Can you elaborate on the major violations committed by tOSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, and PSU?  And be very specific.  If you won't then you are no less a coward than anyone at Flo.  Unless, of course, you are worried you will lose access to these programs.

Edited by StallWarning

1 hour ago, simple said:

Welcome to life, man. Do us a favor and google Abar Rouse, and tell me if you think that problem is limited to wrestling.

1 hour ago, simple said:

Media member =/= journalist.  I get why you might be confused, because the distinction between the two has become increasingly blurry in the age of digital media.  But Pyles is right.  It's not his job to investigate coaches and report any violations he might hear of to the NCAA.  

1 hour ago, simple said:

And even if he were held to your standards for so called "journalism," it would be wildly irresponsible for him to toss out names in this fashion. 

3 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Welcome to life, man. Do us a favor and google Abar Rouse, and tell me if you think that problem is limited to wrestling.

At no point did I say it was limited to wrestling. Yes I’m aware there’s cowards, cheaters, and hypocrites in every aspect of life. Sorry for not just accepting public displays of it within the wrestling “community” I guess?

When Flo “reported” on cheating at the 2016 Olympics, their only proof was , “what are the odds these refs would be assigned to these mats.”  That’s not enough evidence for an actual journalist to report on. To make that claim, documents or sources are needed. I doubt they have any actual evidence about recruiting either-just more insinuation. I happen to believe the insinuation in both of these instances, but to report it you need evidence. 

3 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Media member =/= journalist.  I get why you might be confused, because the distinction between the two has become increasingly blurry in the age of digital media.  But Pyles is right.  It's not his job to investigate coaches and report any violations he might hear of to the NCAA.  

And even if he were held to your standards for so called "journalism," it would be wildly irresponsible for him to toss out names in this fashion. 

I’m not confused. I know very well the differences between journalism, media, and journalistic media. They’re just hypocritical about it.

I agree that it would be irresponsible to throw out names on Twitter. That’s why he shouldn’t have said anything in the first place.

I didn’t mention it in the first post, but I think Mason is hypocritical too if he’s not going to do anything about it.

1 minute ago, simple said:

I’m not confused. I know very well the differences between journalism, media, and journalistic media. They’re just hypocritical about it.

I agree that it would be irresponsible to throw out names on Twitter. That’s why he shouldn’t have said anything in the first place.

I didn’t mention it in the first post, but I think Mason is hypocritical too if he’s not going to do anything about it.

Good luck with Mason trying to get a promotion if he does do anything about it, and opposing coaches could make his current position untenable. (by, say, refusing to schedule duals with his current institution, for one example)

6 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Good luck with Mason trying to get a promotion if he does do anything about it, and opposing coaches could make his current position untenable. (by, say, refusing to schedule duals with his current institution, for one example)

Unfortunately this is all correct. That doesn’t make it okay. Also, unfortunately for Mason, he probably already killed off a bunch of potential jobs with his tweet.

14 minutes ago, simple said:

Fair enough--the flo guys needlessly step in it all the time on twitter, and are extraordinarily thin-skinned.  I just wanted to make the point that we shouldn't expect them  to police recruiting violations simply because they're the most public members of the wrestling media community.  

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

I'm very sick of the constant claims of cheating and absolutely nothing comes from it.

You should post those sentiments on the HR. At times they make claims 100x over almost every day. 

Easy for you to say what Pyles should do. 

Flo isn’t a news company. They are a broadcast company who uses their editorial staff to hype up the sport and individual events they cover. 

Let’s use OSU as an example, because they aren’t in the Big10 and they have an exclusive agreement with Flo. 

If Pyles came out and said “John Smith has done the following...”, OSU would never work with Flo again. Why would they partner with someone they don’t trust? 

Do you report every violation you see in your life? If so, I wouldn’t want to be friends with you. We aren’t talking about protecting murderers. 

13 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Easy for you to say what Pyles should do. 

Flo isn’t a news company. They are a broadcast company who uses their editorial staff to hype up the sport and individual events they cover. 

Let’s use OSU as an example, because they aren’t in the Big10 and they have an exclusive agreement with Flo. 

If Pyles came out and said “John Smith has done the following...”, OSU would never work with Flo again. Why would they partner with someone they don’t trust? 

Do you report every violation you see in your life? If so, I wouldn’t want to be friends with you. We aren’t talking about protecting murderers. 

PSU already won't work with them. 

3 hours ago, simple said:

Please let us know what these violations are, I am specifically interested in Wisconsin.  Did you report these violations?