FriendlyCamper

Christian "Twitter Fingers" Pyles

This message board gives you plenty of opportunities to receive feedback, to say your silly sarcasm, to take stock, to do better. But you stop after step #2. You're mocking persons who post here. You're dodging criticism. You're ignoring good points.

Edited by jon

6 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

kind of a tangent but anyone else think an anonymous message board post is odd way to call someone a coward and a hypocrite?

I’m not trying to fight the guy, just discuss a wrestling related topic. I just think the Flo guys are cowardly and hypocritical in a lot of ways. He was already called out on Twitter which was the medium used. I’d be happy to call him out about it in person too.

29 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

reporting recruiting violations hurt more.

Dumbest thing ever said on this board.

For the long term success of folkstyle wrestling, this stuff needs to change.

6 minutes ago, simple said:

I’m not trying to fight the guy, just discuss a wrestling related topic. I just think the Flo guys are cowardly and hypocritical in a lot of ways. He was already called out on Twitter which was the medium used. I’d be happy to call him out about it in person too.

The guy you're talking to is a Flo guy.  That's Andrew Spey.

Flo's not cowardly but rather it's amateurish. Flo documentaries are great but all the rest is half-assed. The 'recruiting violations' example is a no-win thing -- either Flo quiets up (thus serving its own interests) or Flo leads the charge (lol lol lol) in exposing recruiting violations... One must crawl before one can walk -- Flo can't even put together social media ""assets"" without repurposing 'medal record' tables from Wikipedia... Do you folks remember..just two weeks ago..when NCAA tourney aired on ESPN and none of the Flo nonsense was so prominent as it is now??

Sometimes some real journalists give Flo courtesy. And it makes me wonder why. Flo doesn't reciprocate. Flo doesn't command respect.

Edited by jon

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Thats why I'm over here. There is a select few who won't shut up about things they have no clue about. 

I can give you credit where credit is due because at least you are taking a principled stand on the issue. So good on ya. 

3 hours ago, justafan said:

Vulakh was a GM committ and is now looking at Penn St,Iowa and Cornell.Imagine Beckman tweet was referring to that 

When did trying to recruit a committed, unsigned wrestler become illegal?  

Edit:  just saw the article.  I guess the question is did he get released from his NLI prior to potential contact from others, or after?

Edited by smcfee

2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Media member =/= journalist.  I get why you might be confused, because the distinction between the two has become increasingly blurry in the age of digital media.  But Pyles is right.  It's not his job to investigate coaches and report any violations he might hear of to the NCAA.  

And even if he were held to your standards for so called "journalism," it would be wildly irresponsible for him to toss out names in this fashion. 

If Flo is entertainment and not journalism, then why not throw out names and stories? It would get clicks and generate buzz which is precisely the objective of entertainment organizations. 

27 minutes ago, simple said:

Dumbest thing ever said on this board.

For the long term success of folkstyle wrestling, this stuff needs to change.

So you are saying that reporting a recruiting violation will do more good than bad in wrestling? You sir, are a dumb ass. Wrestling is the lowest priority sport for nearly every D1 school with wrestling. You know why mediocre coaches get to stay at their job for 30+ years? Because they don't cause problems for the athletic departments. Thats why. Lets play out what happens with your snitching attitude:

1) Violation is reported to NCAA or Athletic Department

2) Athletic Directors at the school investigate

3) NCAA investigates

4) Something is found/nothing is found

5) Coach is fired a year later, so the department can go in a different direction. Turns out that direction is dropping wrestling because these weird troll freaks put our NCAA status in ALL SPORTS at risk - 

IDIDOT: When football and basketball programs start hearing about the wrestling program, its a problem. Wake up - we only matter to us.

If you are serious about the long term success of wrestling, we need to add womens wrestling as a D1 sport. 

Until then, we need to be out of sight out of mind except for VERY positive things. Period.

I contend that you are a true dumbass. 

10 minutes ago, pamela said:

If Flo is entertainment and not journalism, then why not throw out names and stories? It would get clicks and generate buzz which is precisely the objective of entertainment organizations. 

because there are 80 D1 teams and this kind of stuff will get programs dropped, people fired, and kids ineligible. Who wins if they snitch? I can't think of anyone. Flo would lose its market and access. Wrestling would lose scholarships. 

Kudos to the ethical people at Flo keeping it to themselves; they probably should not have even brought it up. 

4 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

because there are 80 D1 teams and this kind of stuff will get programs dropped, people fired, and kids ineligible. Who wins if they snitch? I can't think of anyone. Flo would lose its market and access. Wrestling would lose scholarships. 

Kudos to the ethical people at Flo keeping it to themselves; they probably should not have even brought it up. 

Then why participate in the discussion i the first place? I’m not disagreeing with you btw.

19 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

Programs are dropped because they aren't competitive. 

People are not likely to be fired.  And if they are, that isn't a bad thing.

Kids rarely ever lose their eligibility.  It is only when it is egregious payment schemes.  And if that is going on then they should lose their eligibility. 

1 minute ago, Pinnum said:

Programs are dropped because they aren't competitive. 

People are not likely to be fired.  And if they are, that isn't a bad thing.

Kids rarely ever lose their eligibility.  It is only when it is egregious payment schemes.  And if that is going on then they should lose their eligibility. 

Wrong. Programs get dropped because they are a distraction to the athletic department, cost too much money, etc. Almost NO programs were dropped because they weren't competitive.

Coaches should be fired if they aren't delivering results. Period. 

Tell me one good thing that comes from snitching? You want to kill wrestling. I get it.

Just now, DrStrange said:

What do you think happens when you report a violation? Tell me what is good for wrestling that comes of it...???

Competitive balance is vital to the sport.  The best way to get a Big Ten program dropped is to not be competitive.

These are competitive balance rules that are being discussed.  If there are violations, they are harming all the other schools because they miss out on those athletes. It is a serious issue.

The sport is hurt because there are fewer teams that get access to quality athletes.  The best thing for the sport is to not have teams with high quality depth.  If a school has two potential All-American's at a weight, the sport is harmed and fans miss out.  One of those athletes could have been competing for another school.  Now there is nothing wrong with programs stockpiling talent legitimately.  Students are free to forego a scholarship to choose their school of choice and compete where they want.  But if it is only done because the rules are violated or the intent of the rules are violated, that is a major problem.

2 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

Wrong. Programs get dropped because they are a distraction to the athletic department, cost too much money, etc. Almost NO programs were dropped because they weren't competitive.

Coaches should be fired if they aren't delivering results. Period. 

Tell me one good thing that comes from snitching? You want to kill wrestling. I get it.

That's pure hyperbole.

you must be under 25 years of age, or you'd know your history about programs being dropped. 

Boise State had their first national champion then dropped

Davis had their first national champion and dropped

Oregon had their first national champion and then dropped

Fresno State was top 15 and then dropped

These are all in the past decade. You are wrong and indignant - a dangerous combination.

4 minutes ago, Pinnum said:

Competitive balance is vital to the sport.  The best way to get a Big Ten program dropped is to not be competitive.

These are competitive balance rules that are being discussed.  If there are violations, they are harming all the other schools because they miss out on those athletes. It is a serious issue.

The sport is hurt because there are fewer teams that get access to quality athletes.  The best thing for the sport is to not have teams with high quality depth.  If a school has two potential All-American's at a weight, the sport is harmed and fans miss out.  One of those athletes could have been competing for another school.  Now there is nothing wrong with programs stockpiling talent legitimately.  Students are free to forego a scholarship to choose their school of choice and compete where they want.  But if it is only done because the rules are violated or the intent of the rules are violated, that is a major problem.

A lot to unpack here:

1. competitive balance is important but people love dynasties. Look at the impact Iowa's dynasty continues to have even on this message board. Dynasties ARE the sport. PSU is wrestling, as OSU and Iowa have been wrestling in the past. If you think a big 10 program is going to get dropped, you are stupid. Michigan State won't ever drop - they are at the bottom nearly every year. Maryland just showed that they won't drop - they are hiring another 150K a year coach. You are either a troll or just plain stupid if you think results have anything to do at all with a program dropping. 

2. What rule is being discussed, specifically?

3. "The best thing for the sport is to not have teams with high quality depth" is one of the most insane things I've read on a forum. Congratulations, you are crocked. You must not have wrestled in college, because if you had you'd know what the injury rates are, and you'd know what % of wrestlers finish their careers. Its not high. The best thing for the sport is our best guys getting the best workout partners. A rising tide raises all ships. World and Olympic medals are generated because of good workout rooms in college and that brings attention and media and new athletes to the sport in droves. 

You must be a homer for a program that just can't compete with greatness. Its okay, being a champ isn't for everyone.

11 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

you must be under 25 years of age, or you'd know your history about programs being dropped. 

Boise State had their first national champion then dropped

Davis had their first national champion and dropped

Oregon had their first national champion and then dropped

Fresno State was top 15 and then dropped

These are all in the past decade. You are wrong and indignant - a dangerous combination.

Ha. No.  I know all those program.

I figured you were young since there have been plenty of major violations that have hit programs...

Oklahoma State - https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/miCaseView?id=115

Wisconsin - https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/miCaseView?id=135

Michigan State - https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/miCaseView?id=493

Nebraska - https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/miCaseView?id=524

Almost the whole Big Ten Conference (after the conference told schools to use a special formula for calculating scholarships which allowed schools to give many more scholarship--in wrestling and some other sports).  https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/miCaseView/report?id=101820