FriendlyCamper

Christian "Twitter Fingers" Pyles

true: pyles won't do it b/c he wants to keep access. i dont blame him.

also true: the coaches shouldn't gripe if they aren't going to do anything about it.

I know of soft recruiting from all the bigger programs like their star wrestlers tweeting, instagramming, or texting HS seniors.

It's a violation but it is done.  Meanwhile the schools with stringent compliance departments do not.

Start looking at RTC's and how they're used in "recruiting." All the posts on this thread talk about a wide spread problem, and those involved in programs surely know the issues as well. NCAA and USAW both need to hold their separate institutions accountable when it comes to our sport. 

59 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

Start looking at RTC's and how they're used in "recruiting." All the posts on this thread talk about a wide spread problem, and those involved in programs surely know the issues as well. NCAA and USAW both need to hold their separate institutions accountable when it comes to our sport. 

Ok, so who do you think is stepping over the line and why do you think that? Unless there are actual names and reasons for that belief, this is nothing new

Edited by russelscout

25 minutes ago, BigD236 said:

A question I have, if you grey shirt can the RTC pay for your living expenses?

Good question. My gut reaction is that it would be a hard NO because payment or compensation should void an athlete's amateurism, but the RTC model is really hazy to me and I don't really understand how it works in conjunction with college programs.

7 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Good luck with Mason trying to get a promotion if he does do anything about it, and opposing coaches could make his current position untenable. (by, say, refusing to schedule duals with his current institution, for one example)

It's called being principled. Does he truly value what he's preaching about? Or does he value money and opportunity more? If he truly that this issue was worth it, he'd name names. 

A lot of these coaches are scoundrels, they want to win at any cost. They will cross lines even if it is not what is acceptable. Even the ones who play the religious card. They get paid to win. If that means poaching kids from lesser programs or not telling the truth to recruits, well that is how it goes. Don’t ever think it is about the student athlete. 

16 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

It's called being principled. Does he truly value what he's preaching about? Or does he value money and opportunity more? If he truly that this issue was worth it, he'd name names. 

I agree he should name names (or at least file a complaint even if not made public).  But yeah, if he believes what he’s saying then he’s not going to want to work at schools that do what he’s talking about.

Seems he was at least partially referring to Ryan Vulakh, so if a list of his top schools comes out, then you’d have to think Beckman is referring to at least one of those schools

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I agree he should name names (or at least file a complaint even if not made public).  But yeah, if he believes what he’s saying then he’s not going to want to work at schools that do what he’s talking about.

Seems he was at least partially referring to Ryan Vulakh, so if a list of his top schools comes out, then you’d have to think Beckman is referring to at least one of those schools

Agree. If I were Beckman I would’ve been  pissed too.

Edited by BigD236

5 hours ago, DrStrange said:

you must be under 25 years of age, or you'd know your history about programs being dropped. 

Boise State had their first national champion then dropped

Davis had their first national champion and dropped

Oregon had their first national champion and then dropped

Fresno State was top 15 and then dropped

These are all in the past decade. You are wrong and indignant - a dangerous combination.

Boise state had 2 national champions, and then their program was dropped. Know your history.

Edited by ExBSUfan

12 hours ago, BigD236 said:

A question I have, if you grey shirt can the RTC pay for your living expenses?

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Team-USA/Olympic-Training-Facilities/OTC-in-Colorado-Springs

Here’s a link explaining some of the resident athlete requirements that allow an athlete to grey shirt and have there expenses paid for by USA Wrestling. 

Who have been the guys that have grey shirted and spent time at the RTC of their school?

22 hours ago, DrStrange said:

Wrong. Programs get dropped because they are a distraction to the athletic department, cost too much money, etc. Almost NO programs were dropped because they weren't competitive.

Coaches should be fired if they aren't delivering results. Period. 

Tell me one good thing that comes from snitching? You want to kill wrestling. I get it.

I seriously hope mods lock this thread before my considerable restraint expires and I get myself banned...

20 hours ago, LHU125 said:

Which is how you get to meet younger HS wrestlers earlier.  The recruiting process begins so much earlier.

7 hours ago, Jon_Kozak said:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Team-USA/Olympic-Training-Facilities/OTC-in-Colorado-Springs

Here’s a link explaining some of the resident athlete requirements that allow an athlete to grey shirt and have there expenses paid for by USA Wrestling. 

Who have been the guys that have grey shirted and spent time at the RTC of their school?

Beard is doing it at PSU right now.  The way it works with a greyshirt is when they arrive in town in the summer/fall, they can train with the NCAA team "X" amount of times a week under the guise that it is a "club RTC" practice.

Then sometime in November, a greyshirt has to stop training with the team/enrolled wrestlers and then can only train with other RTC greyshirts or resident athletes.

As soon as the NCAA season ends, practices start back up under the "club/RTC".

It also isn't uncommon that if the coaching staff is fundraising for an athlete like PSU is for Taylor at over 100k a year, it is usually required that they work with their deferred enrollment or greyshirted wrestlers.

I can guarantee Taylor was doing 1-2 one on ones a week with Beard during the season.

Not a bad deal.

Edited by Boompa

On 4/5/2019 at 2:13 PM, simple said:

Unfortunately this is all correct. That doesn’t make it okay. Also, unfortunately for Mason, he probably already killed off a bunch of potential jobs with his tweet.

I dont believe he cares, or wants to be hired by those programs anyway. 

With that being said, if he has that kind of mindset why not report or name names?

Idk. Tough spot for him, other coaches, journalists, Flo (If you dont throw them in as journalists I guess).

On 4/5/2019 at 4:07 PM, DrStrange said:

you must be under 25 years of age, or you'd know your history about programs being dropped. 

Boise State had their first national champion then dropped

Davis had their first national champion and dropped

Oregon had their first national champion and then dropped

Fresno State was top 15 and then dropped

These are all in the past decade. You are wrong and indignant - a dangerous combination.

so wait, in another post you said coaches were fired b/c they weren't producing... then you posted this ^^^

btw, if they should produce period... or be fired... you must be a huge college bball fan. so many coaches with show cause penalties and still coaching. bruce pearl is one.

8 hours ago, Boompa said:

Beard is doing it at PSU right now.  The way it works with a greyshirt is when they arrive in town in the summer/fall, they can train with the NCAA team "X" amount of times a week under the guise that it is a "club RTC" practice.

Then sometime in November, a greyshirt has to stop training with the team/enrolled wrestlers and then can only train with other RTC greyshirts or resident athletes.

As soon as the NCAA season ends, practices start back up under the "club/RTC".

It also isn't uncommon that if the coaching staff is fundraising for an athlete like PSU is for Taylor at over 100k a year, it is usually required that they work with their deferred enrollment or greyshirted wrestlers.

I can guarantee Taylor was doing 1-2 one on ones a week with Beard during the season.

Not a bad deal.

Who is paying for these grey shirt’s living expenses. Is that on the parents?

6 hours ago, BigD236 said:

Who is paying for these grey shirt’s living expenses. Is that on the parents?

You would have to think it is on the parents.  

Maybe they got the old man a job similar to how OSU did with Fix.