FriendlyCamper

Christian "Twitter Fingers" Pyles

9 hours ago, GockeS said:

so wait, in another post you said coaches were fired b/c they weren't producing... then you posted this ^^^

btw, if they should produce period... or be fired... you must be a huge college bball fan. so many coaches with show cause penalties and still coaching. bruce pearl is one.

Right - coaches get fired if they don't produce. And programs get dropped regardless of results, hence me posting national titles and then programs being dropped....  ...... .........  Is that really hard to understand?

Not sure what you are even trying say in that second part, I assume you are drunk. 

ok, i must have missed the 'regardless' of results.

basketball has coaches who are as corrupt as the mob, yet the fans dont care.

do we have this same situation in wrestling and just dont know it, b/c the media doesn't care about wrestling? 

Just now, GockeS said:

ok, i must have missed the 'regardless' of results.

basketball has coaches who are as corrupt as the mob, yet the fans dont care.

do we have this same situation in wrestling and just dont know it, b/c the media doesn't care about wrestling? 

I don't think we are anywhere close to basketball because we don't have shoe companies steering recruits to a set of Nike or Adidas schools with big money. Its pretty clear to everyone that they are the minor leagues for the NBA. Its not just the media that doesn't care about wrestling - the public doesn't either. The only people who care about wrestling are wrestlers (for the most part).

3 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

I don't think we are anywhere close to basketball because we don't have shoe companies steering recruits to a set of Nike or Adidas schools with big money. Its pretty clear to everyone that they are the minor leagues for the NBA. Its not just the media that doesn't care about wrestling - the public doesn't either. The only people who care about wrestling are wrestlers (for the most part).

i agree with all of this.

but i still think we have to have some integrity.

3 minutes ago, GockeS said:

but i still think we have to have some integrity.

Integrity is great; we have to self police instead of drawing negative attention to wrestling. 

How college wrestling is going we will not see any parity. PSU, Ohio St, Iowa, or Okie St. will be the only schools winning National Championships in the next 10 yrs. The rich get richer with the RTC and the amount of money being generated. Having kids grey shirt then red shirt (or getting a 6th yr) is going to become the norm. I have a hard time believing kids grey shirting aren’t getting any financial help through RTC or alumni, might be wrong. We will see a few schools enter the top 4, but can’t sustain or improve. aka: NCS, Mich...  I see Iowa St, Minn and Cornell making runs at top 4 but not winning it.  

Fire away!

30 minutes ago, BigD236 said:

How college wrestling is going we will not see any parity. PSU, Ohio St, Iowa, or Okie St. will be the only schools winning National Championships in the next 10 yrs. The rich get richer with the RTC and the amount of money being generated. Having kids grey shirt then red shirt (or getting a 6th yr) is going to become the norm. I have a hard time believing kids grey shirting aren’t getting any financial help through RTC or alumni, might be wrong. We will see a few schools enter the top 4, but can’t sustain or improve. aka: NCS, Mich...  I see Iowa St, Minn and Cornell making runs at top 4 but not winning it.  

Fire away!

however, not much has changed. has there ever been parity? 

52 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

Integrity is great; we have to self police instead of drawing negative attention to wrestling. 

so you are for the coaches pointing out the violations of other coaches.

2 hours ago, GockeS said:

so you are for the coaches pointing out the violations of other coaches.

In a way that allows for fixes without people screwing over wrestling, yes. Most D1 coaches know each other or are one degree of separation apart. They should not be looking to report.  Just my 2 cents, I am no authority.

4 hours ago, BigD236 said:

Fire away!

To be fair, not that long ago PSU and Ohio State weren't even in the conversation about national team championships. So things have changed in that there are new teams in the mix. You are insane if you think grey shirts are getting paid in wrestling. There just isn't enough money. 

PSU put their $ in a trust and they generate 550-600K a year to pay for a 9-10 person staff. Where are they getting money for athletes? Nobody cares that much about wrestling. 

Iowa State will be a serious threat very soon. Michigan and Minnesota are going to be threats as well. 

Ok. Then why grey shirt. If your parents have to pay for a full year of rent, food and other expenses. And if you take some classes at another college they would pay for that too. You could go directly to college, get your scholarship and red shirt  

I understand why Cornell does it, Ivy League can’t red shirt. But now we see other schools doing the same.  And it will just get worse. Maybe 2 yr. grey shirt. 

Grey shirting is done when someone is injured and can get a medical redshirt. Redshirting has been common forever. As has medical red shirting.  Some people choose to go for 6 years, and can get need based aide so they aren't paying much anyway. Olympic redshirts are the other thing that happen and its not as common but elite guys probably don't want to change their training situations too much so the olympic redshirt.  Many of these guys work over the summer at camps and can work some during the season. There isn't money flowing around programs and that insinuation is pretty damn funny. 

3 hours ago, DrStrange said:

In a way that allows for fixes without people screwing over wrestling, yes. Most D1 coaches know each other or are one degree of separation apart. They should not be looking to report.  Just my 2 cents, I am no authority.

so they should say 'hey cut it out' and the offending behavior will disappear?

26 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Grey shirting is the year off after hs. A second year off can result in loss of a year eligibility.

No, you can grey shirt even after wrestling a year or 2 in college.  Ivy League schools do that, wrestler leaves school for a year and then comes back the next year to finish career. Red shirt you are allowed to stay in school. Also your eligibility doesn’t start until you enroll in college. You can take 5 yrs off after hs and then enroll.  

Grey shirting is an informal term meaning what I said. I suppose since it's informal you can use any term you want. What you mention is sometimes called Ivy redshirting. When you do the year off after enrollment the D1 clock keeps going. You can take 5 years off after HS but without doing a military or missionary leave you would come back with one year left and if you compete after the first year off you would lose a competition year for each one.

No, your clock for eligibility starts when you enroll full time at a Universty. If you start college at 25, you still have 5 yrs of eligibility. 

Eligibility Timeline. Division I five-year clock: If you play at a Division I school, you have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college.

18 minutes ago, BigD236 said:

No, your clock for eligibility starts when you enroll full time at a Universty. If you start college at 25, you still have 5 yrs of eligibility. 

Eligibility Timeline. Division I five-year clock: If you play at a Division I school, you have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college.

That’s not correct.