CoachWrestling

Who will Maryland hire?

Well put. That's why I thought he was intriguing as the alternative to Moore. Maryland due to geography and conference could really turn this into an opportunity.  I guess that's what interviews are for -- Kolat could have a shot at painting that vision.  

2 hours ago, Frank Castle said:

I would have to probably guess the following list has interviewed thus far + a few names above and 1 to 2 other head coaches.   Just a feeling.

Moore, Kolat, Perry, Clemson, Pritzloff, Hughes, Jaggers, Gray and Leen

This. I think you can rule out Kolat based on this list. The rest of the guys are younger up and coming coaches. 

26 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I feel like head wrestling coach is a young man's game, but I have to give Dresser some props.  He has done great work and he is no no longer a young man.

He hires real good assistants so he doesn’t have to get on the mat as much

9 hours ago, BigD236 said:

Stutzman would be another good choice for Maryland. Had success at Bloomsburg and has made Buffalo a more competitive program. 

He can't sustain success he can only take a bad program and make them respectable.His philosophy of we don't teach technique we teach toughness doesn't work anymore.Youve the teach technique and have familiarity in all positions you can't just be a neutral hand fighting team that can't get away.Also he's had 12 assistants in 6 years at Buffalo.Imagine it was all 12 assistants fault at least that's the story you will hear.

6 hours ago, Half Nelson said:

Pritzlaff would be the guy if he was open to leaving Rutgers but I don’t see it. He’s from NJ so he’s home. 

If he took the job he’d get a ton of recruits from NJ and turn the program around quickly. 

You've got to wonder what the arrangement between Goodale and Pritzlaff is in terms of when Donny would take over....how much longer does Donny want to be an assistant/associate head coach????  He's already been thru this at Wisconsin, Michigan and now Rutgers.

Do they go with an already established head coach who has a proven history?  Or an assistant coach who is ready to take the reigns?  I'd like to see an assistant get the nod.  Some greats out there (most of who have already been mentioned)  morningstar, metcalf etc.

After they get their guy what do you think would be a good bar to set to see if the program is going in the right direction for Maryland..

Maybe....

1.) dual wins

2.) ncaa qualifiers

3.) podium

16 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Here's a question for you guys who know way more than I do. McCoy had decent success when Maryland was in the ACC and even this year they handled an up-and-coming George Mason program relatively easily and also defeated Rider. Do you think had they stayed in the ACC the program would have done a lot better? I mean obviously the competition would not have been as strong so would they have continued on their previous path or do you think they were destined to eventually drop off there as well? I realize it's a moot point and they have to compete against Big 10 teams and with their resources should have gotten better but I just thought it was an interesting thought.

Virginia finished last in the ACC.

Virginia beat Central Michigan and Indiana.

CMU and Indiana beat Maryland.

Maryland would have been last in the ACC too.

20 hours ago, DrStrange said:

True, he is a PA guy, so that would help, and hes a college head coach in that state. I guess you kind of changed my mind. Damn it. I hate that LOL

Your ability to admit it is a quality few people on this board have, lol.

17 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Moore would be an excellent choice but I sure hope he doesn’t leave Lock Haven! They have a good thing going on now. I think he is probably using the Maryland offer to get LHU to pay him what he is worth. Hope they pony up

Word is that he wants to leverage it into everything but his own salary. As in Scholarships, facility, staff $$ (coaches/staff under him that is)

Dude should be sought after by any major program that needs a rebuild, he's great. 

Hope he stays at LHU.

Edited by iGranby

Agree with Kolat.  In that part of the region he's as mythical as Cael Sanderson.  Name recognition alone he'd pull in great recruits plus he's demonstrated great coaching skills.  It would be fun to watch.

3 hours ago, Sparky said:

Virginia finished last in the ACC.

Virginia beat Central Michigan and Indiana.

CMU and Indiana beat Maryland.

Maryland would have been last in the ACC too.

Obviously I wasn't referring to a single year. They've been in the Big Ten more than a year. Let me try again had they never entered the Big Ten there's a reasonable chance that they would have been okay in the ACC. I know they did and you can't live on the path but I just thought it was interesting that moving to the toughest wrestling conference probably spelled his Doom. Sorry about the voice texting