CoachWrestling

Who will Maryland hire?

If Kolat is so great then why is he at Campbell? Why not a mid-tier program not only now but many years before. Guys his age don't start at the bottom, like he did, they usually get a shot much sooner.

40 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

If Kolat is so great then why is he at Campbell? Why not a mid-tier program not only now but many years before. Guys his age don't start at the bottom, like he did, they usually get a shot much sooner.

Comments like this are why fans/wrestlers/alumni get upset. Why should a great coach not be at a smaller program? Believe it or not but coaches do have families and outside factors that influence their decisions. It isn't just solely on a paycheck and "fixing" a down program. 

3 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

Comments like this are why fans/wrestlers/alumni get upset. Why should a great coach not be at a smaller program? Believe it or not but coaches do have families and outside factors that influence their decisions. It isn't just solely on a paycheck and "fixing" a down program. 

fans/wrestlers/alumni getting upset? they sound a little overly sensitive. its a wrestling message board. all opinions are valid and should be welcome. don't be such a thin skinned baby, little guy. 

25 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

He has commented on his Rudis Podcast several times that he likes the small school atmosphere and the admin

On 4/5/2019 at 3:59 PM, DrStrange said:

I'd look at Lee Pritts from ASU and I'd look at Alex Clemson at Missouri. Pritts is a hell of a recruiter and Clemson knows the Brian Smith system and that is the kind of culture change that Maryland needs.

I wonder how much of the current roster will be on the team by the end of next season?

Pritts knows the Brian Smith System too.  He got his story at Mizzou and was there in the beginning and into the Askren, Pell, and Woodley era.  He also has been with Zeke.  As of late he had been pretty connected to the OTC also.  I think he was a coach on the cadet world team with KJ last year.  So he may not be a big name but the young world team members would know him and those who attend the OTC.  I think he could be a good hire. 

On 4/5/2019 at 5:06 PM, Boompa said:

This is a great discussion but if the salary is 125-150k, fully funded, in the Big 10 and just south of the best 3 wrestling states then everyone's resumes have already been submitted.

If Metcalf, Hahn, Moore, and Pritzlaff have all applied (and they have), then it's down to those four and no one else.

And Varner.  Cunningham isn't going anywhere.

I actually wouldn't mind to see what Metcalf could do after having spent time with Dresser.  My gut tells me his coaching approach now would be different than his personal wrestling style.  I have felt for a long time if he had changed his training site after his first couple years internationally it may have made a difference.  Not that Iowa isn't good, but I think a fresh perspective could have added to and benefited him. 

I think Kolat already declined to move forward with the interview process .  Beyond that,  there seems to be a ton of rumors and conflicting information out there.   Ive heard  Espo interviewed  from a few people & also that he didn’t apply from some other good sources    I heard Scott Moore declined and more recently that he’s still in limbo, waiting to hear back. I’ve heard about many who had phone interviews but not a lot about coaches who made it to campus    There are several coaches who I know may be interested but don’t want it  to get out that they are so are being intentionally deceptive (which I totally understand)   I think I know who’s most likely but could be wrong so won’t put it out there and see it somehow work against UMD   Nothing would surprise me at this point 

9 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Obviously I wasn't referring to a single year. They've been in the Big Ten more than a year. Let me try again had they never entered the Big Ten there's a reasonable chance that they would have been okay in the ACC. I know they did and you can't live on the path but I just thought it was interesting that moving to the toughest wrestling conference probably spelled his Doom. Sorry about the voice texting

Maryland's first year in the Big Ten, they got beat 24-9 by Duke (at Grapple in the Garden). Duke's 1-4 record that year in the ACC was good for solo last in the conference, and Duke's lone win was a one-point win over NC State.

Not sure Maryland would've escaped the cellar of the ACC after Sheptock and Boley graduated in 2014, their last year in the ACC.

6 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Maryland's first year in the Big Ten, they got beat 24-9 by Duke (at Grapple in the Garden). Duke's 1-4 record that year in the ACC was good for solo last in the conference, and Duke's lone win was a one-point win over NC State.

Not sure Maryland would've escaped the cellar of the ACC after Sheptock and Boley graduated in 2014, their last year in the ACC.

Exactly. The ACC doesn’t have any bad teams. Maryland would be last by a good margin in 2018/19. 

Nc state - only 1 AA with 9 qualifiers - major underperformance but could’ve had 4+ AAs (tariq, Oliver, Reenan all were fairly likely to AA, plus the other qualifiers all had a decent shot) will start the season with a #1 ranked guy (Hidlay)

North Carolina - 2 AAs, 8 qualifiers will start with the #1 at 149

VT - 3 AAs, 8 qualifiers - first champ ever! #1 at 165

Duke - 1 AA, 5 qualifiers

Virginia - 1 AA, 5 qualifiers, have the #2 at 125 (if lee Olympic redshirts they will have a #1)

Pitt - 5 qualifiers - terrible NCAAs- were expected to have 2-3 AAs. Only team Maryland scored more than, but only 1 guy on Maryland did well. Pitt has mutiple guys win matches and easily would’ve put palced Maryland at ACCs. 

The ACC is small but they are a solid conference now. Maryland’s problems aren’t becuase they are in the Big10. It’s becuase of their coaching (recruiting included). 

I’m a Maryland fan and live nearby. I’ll be going to a lot of duals this year. Pumped for the new staff, whoever they may be. 

On 4/6/2019 at 8:35 PM, SalvatoreG said:

I think Kolat already declined to move forward with the interview process .  Beyond that,  there seems to be a ton of rumors and conflicting information out there.   Ive heard  Espo interviewed  from a few people & also that he didn’t apply from some other good sources    I heard Scott Moore declined and more recently that he’s still in limbo, waiting to hear back. I’ve heard about many who had phone interviews but not a lot about coaches who made it to campus    There are several coaches who I know may be interested but don’t want it  to get out that they are so are being intentionally deceptive (which I totally understand)   I think I know who’s most likely but could be wrong so won’t put it out there and see it somehow work against UMD   Nothing would surprise me at this point 

I didn't apply, nor have I been contacted by the Maryland search committee. I just wanted to clear that up.

On 4/6/2019 at 8:35 PM, SalvatoreG said:

Thanks UMD administrator.

13 minutes ago, teach said:

Donny Pritzlaff ?

Idk if he'd be the right guy to bring into a rebuild. Plus, I'd imagine he wants to see through Suriano's career. Just as well, I think with the year they just had Goodale would do anything within his power to keep him around, he has to be a huge pull for recruits. 

1 hour ago, iGranby said:

Idk if he'd be the right guy to bring into a rebuild. Plus, I'd imagine he wants to see through Suriano's career. Just as well, I think with the year they just had Goodale would do anything within his power to keep him around, he has to be a huge pull for recruits. 

I see this sentiment expressed often, but I really don't think it works that way.  In every case I've heard of, any head coach worth his title would welcome the opportunity for his assistants to step up and run their own program.  Their personal relationships far outweigh any professional anxiety.  Mentoring wrestlers, and young coaches, is the essence of what they do.  

This isn't going to be a job for someone looking for Dresser money.   Public record shows Maryland has 3 coaches on staff who between them has won 15 National Titles as coaches with salaries $210,000 or lower.

You have to be driven to win and not driven by money unless the school magically pays.   Keep in mind whatever they pay this coach the 3 other coaches will demand more.  

This is a complete rebuild and they need the right person not the greedy one.

Reese (W. Lacrosse) was either a player or coach for 11 or their 13 (5 as the head coach) - $178,500.00

Cirovski (Men's Soccer) has won 3 titles - 2005, 2008, and 2018 - $210,120.00

Meharg ( Field Hockey) has won 7 national titles  - $175,404.00

14 minutes ago, justafan said:

Agree it won't be Dresser money but I imagine $180,000 would get  Moore away from Lock Haven 

Moore's salary at LHU is listed as $96,443 (as of 3/15/19)

so it would take an 87% pay increase to get him to leave?  wow

Gonna take more than that to get Moore-He has a really great situation in almost every way possible.  Plus, his in-laws live right down the road to help and be around his family.  U of Maryland not a great place to move with family-in addition  to the expense to live in that area, there is significant commute time that can really have effect on family time (especially with hours required for training).  Just something else to factor in with who really wants the opportunity and who U of MD really can pay to go get