CoachWrestling

Who will Maryland hire?

17 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Per the interwebs College Park would require about $150K to equal the salary and cost of living in Lock Haven.

Exactly.And plus you gotta look at what he's got going at Lock Haven great program,small town,lives near family and his wife works at Lock Haven.Its gonna take way more $ then people think to get Moore to leave

34 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Per the interwebs College Park would require about $150K to equal the salary and cost of living in Lock Haven.

That doesn't count the commute.   That average is probably equivalent to living North of Rockville, MD with a ~1-1.5 hour commute.

I would say to live within 5 miles of campus it is 1.8% more - $172,800 + child care 

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

If Lock Haven and Clarion are combined, which wrestling coach do they keep?   https://herosports.com/news/d2-ncaa-largest-conference-pennsylvania-state-athletic-conference-danger

This article is from 2017 people!  There is even a new Chancellor in charge of the PSAC system now-I don't think this is still on the docket

It’s true that houses around the UMD campus are pricey (at least, compared to much of the country.)

Even so, with that kind of salary, there’s plenty of affordable housing with five miles of campus.

The real problem is that the public schools in the area are not the best. 

Nearby Montgomery County has top-notch schools. However, the houses there are another level of expensive.

There is always the option to commute from further up north or east — including from scenic Annapolis.

Edited by Katie

Agreed further up north.  I'm from little D9 in PA, but live just outside of Annapolis in a townhouse that I feel like I paid a "reasonable" amount for based on some of these zip codes and can be in College Park in 25 minutes or so even with traffic.  Coming to CP from Montgomery County or any points south such as DC or NoVA would be a nightmare of a commute and much more expensive.

7 minutes ago, bbresslin1 said:

Agreed further up north.  I'm from little D9 in PA, but live just outside of Annapolis in a townhouse that I feel like I paid a "reasonable" amount for based on some of these zip codes and can be in College Park in 25 minutes or so even with traffic.  Coming to CP from Montgomery County or any points south such as DC or NoVA would be a nightmare of a commute and much more expensive.

agreed, Anne Arundel Co.and Howard Co. (good public schools) are both much easier commutes to College Park than are NoVa or the Montgomery Co./270 corridor

Edited by gromit

28 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Nobody wants to live to College Park. Even many of the professors choose to commute from DC, Rockville, Silver Spring, Bethesda or northern VA. College Park is not a nice area and the schools are terrible.

actually, University Park & College Heights Estates, both nice neighborhoods just south of the campus, have very high UMD staff resident populations (I believe Kerry lives in Univ. Park)....but I agree, the local public schools leave a lot to be desired. There are good private school options though (eg. nearby DeMatha HS).

Edited by gromit

5 hours ago, gromit said:

actually, University Park & College Heights Estates, both nice neighborhoods just south of the campus, have very high UMD staff resident populations (I believe Kerry lives in Univ. Park)....but I agree, the local public schools leave a lot to be desired. There are good private school options though (eg. nearby DeMatha HS).

That seems right. 

There are also other nice areas nearby. You just have to find them.

If you look hard enough, you could probably make something on the outer edges of Montgomery County work.

And again, commuting from north or east is always an option.

Edited by Katie

6 hours ago, tigerfan said:

I see this sentiment expressed often, but I really don't think it works that way.  In every case I've heard of, any head coach worth his title would welcome the opportunity for his assistants to step up and run their own program.  Their personal relationships far outweigh any professional anxiety.  Mentoring wrestlers, and young coaches, is the essence of what they do.  

I agree to an extent. I dont think he'd really try to hold him back, I simply mean he'd try to sweeten the pot at Rutgers to see if he'd be willing to stay. If he's bent on leaving then sure, I bet Goodale would be happy for him to land a job, but I'm sure he'd like him to stay.

7 hours ago, Bilchuk said:

This article is from 2017 people!  There is even a new Chancellor in charge of the PSAC system now-I don't think this is still on the docket

This is from two months ago.  Probably too old to be on the docket still.  Enrollment isn't going up.  https://www.wesa.fm/post/pa-public-universities-treading-water-declining-enrollment-higher-average-tuition

17 hours ago, gromit said:

DeMatha has great sports, but is NOT even on the same planet academically as most of the private schools in the DMV area. A lot of public schools are better academically. 

19 hours ago, Bilchuk said:

Cheyney has already left PSAC. compete in D3 B-Ball (M+W)  and W-Vbal. with a track program that appears Club-Varsity.

Cheyney may combine with Lincoln, which is State Related, sane as Penn State, Pitt, Temple

Shepard(WV), is I think joining PSAC