CoachWrestling

Who will Maryland hire?

34 minutes ago, iGranby said:

Or he got a face to face look at the situation and wants to hold out for something better. I dont think thats out of the question. 

If he wants a Big 10 job there isn't much out there especially with so many with new coaches over the past 5 years. Illinois is probably the next team to can their coach, but all other positions are a few years or a big scandal from needing a new coach.

Indiana- New coach
Michigan- New coach
Michigan State- New coach
Minnesota- New coach
Northwestern- New coach
Wisconsin- New Coach
Purdue- Ersland been there 4 years

Ohio State- Ain't goin' anywhere
Penn State- Ain't goin' anywhere
Rutgers- Ain't goin' anywhere
Iowa- Brands will never get fired
Nebraska- ain't goin' anywhere

Illinois- Might be the next opening

Whys it have to be a big ten job? Plenty of prestigious programs outside of that. Have to imagine okie state is going to open up soon and will likely be more coveted than all the big ten schools but psu and maybe Iowa. 

Well I have to agree with Eagle 26. There are a bunch of great programs out there, and if Donnie wants to embark on his own, I have to believe that there has to a lot of programs out there looking for someone of his caliber to lead their program. But it also could be that  Donnie may have to go to a smaller school, for a few years, and after showing his leadership there, I would have to believe that many programs will come calling, and he could probably have his pick of the top available programs. Going back though, I can only imagine that if someone like Donnie went to a program let's say in the So Con, or the newly merge EWL/MAC conference, I would have to think it would create a lot of energy for that school and conference. 

As a side note, I look at Coleman Scott and the job he is doing at UNC, and I think Donnie given the right situation and help, could be just as successful. 

I have to say Pritzlaff is getting a lot of mention on this forum related to this topic; I don’t mean to be harsh but I also won’t mince words, have you all heard him in an interview? Donny’s vocabulary & speech can not be doing him any favors when sitting down with the AD & chief fundraiser of the athletic department. I mean no disrespect in regards to his wrestling knowledge or pedigree but I’d be remiss if I didn’t say he sounds a bit like Rocky doing the aftershave commercial in his on camera pierces with Flo. 

He’d be smart to read a little more & maybe take some speech etiquette lessons. 

7 minutes ago, de4856 said:

Well I have to agree with Eagle 26. There are a bunch of great programs out there, and if Donnie wants to embark on his own, I have to believe that there has to a lot of programs out there looking for someone of his caliber to lead their program. But it also could be that  Donnie may have to go to a smaller school, for a few years, and after showing his leadership there, I would have to believe that many programs will come calling, and he could probably have his pick of the top available programs. Going back though, I can only imagine that if someone like Donnie went to a program let's say in the So Con, or the newly merge EWL/MAC conference, I would have to think it would create a lot of energy for that school and conference. 

As a side note, I look at Coleman Scott and the job he is doing at UNC, and I think Donnie given the right situation and help, could be just as successful. 

This. Just didnt want to type it out. I understand the allure of a big ten job, but its not everything. 

Another example: NC State. (1.) Pat Pop did/does not need a Big Ten School to be successful. (2.) That job will now be highly sought after once it opens up. 

This job all depends on expectations. As soon as you get this job, you are at an immediate disadvantage in your conference. You are in an arms race with little to no ammunition. The other schools are building or have built state of the art wrestling facilities.

Where would one rank this wrestling program (Big10) in terms of support from their university? Bottom 4? 

On 4/15/2019 at 7:48 PM, CrewWrestling said:

I have to say Pritzlaff is getting a lot of mention on this forum related to this topic; I don’t mean to be harsh but I also won’t mince words, have you all heard him in an interview? Donny’s vocabulary & speech can not be doing him any favors when sitting down with the AD & chief fundraiser of the athletic department. I mean no disrespect in regards to his wrestling knowledge or pedigree but I’d be remiss if I didn’t say he sounds a bit like Rocky doing the aftershave commercial in his on camera pierces with Flo. 

He’d be smart to read a little more & maybe take some speech etiquette lessons. 

That is a real problem with many former great wrestlers.

He's joining the Ohio RTC staff. 

Now, if you really want to reach/read tea leaves... Jaggers rumoredly applied for this job. Whether he got it or not, Logan joining the coaching totem pole at tOSU/oRTC would make a little more sense if someone was on their way out soonish. 

Edited by iGranby

On 4/15/2019 at 2:50 PM, iGranby said:

Or he got a face to face look at the situation and wants to hold out for something better. I dont think thats out of the question. 

It is his decision for sure, but man as bad as Maryland is (they have been - I live nearby and went to some duals this year...some of their guys are really bad for college. Like wouldn’t start on most D1 teams...yes they would still kick my ass) they have serious funding. Being a Big10 school gives them 9.9 scholarships, their recruitment fund is way bigger than most schools plus the allure of being in the Big10 is a huge help. 

It also is in a fairly good location. 

I have to assume Donnie turned it down for other reasons besides support. Thry May have told him he is next in line at Rutgers if all goes as planned, offered him a raise, etc. I think sometimes we, myself included, don’t take the personal stuff into account as much. His entire base and life is in NJ. He is part of the community. Leaving that would be extremely hard, especially considering a head coaching job at a Big10 school is a long term commitment. 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

It is his decision for sure, but man as bad as Maryland is (they have been - I live nearby and went to some duals this year...some of their guys are really bad for college. Like wouldn’t start on most D1 teams...yes they would still kick my ass) they have serious funding. Being a Big10 school gives them 9.9 scholarships, their recruitment fund is way bigger than most schools plus the allure of being in the Big10 is a huge help. 

It also is in a fairly good location. 

I have to assume Donnie turned it down for other reasons besides support. Thry May have told him he is next in line at Rutgers if all goes as planned, offered him a raise, etc. I think sometimes we, myself included, don’t take the personal stuff into account as much. His entire base and life is in NJ. He is part of the community. Leaving that would be extremely hard, especially considering a head coaching job at a Big10 school is a long term commitment. 

People may have interviewed in order to push for a raise with their current employer.

People may have been informed they didn’t get the job, so then they turned around and claimed they didn’t want it anyway.

People may have interviewed without really knowing if they would take it, and then decide later they didn’t want it.

Who knows what happened in any particular case.