Sign in to follow this  
Eagle26

Who would you take vs. the field?

If you were to bet actual money, who would you bet on versus the field for an NCAA title. Before you all just start throwing out a bunch of names, please realize I am not asking who you think will win an NCAA championship at each weight. Rather, who, if anyone, is safe bet vs. the field at their weight. For example, I think Delgado will win 125, but with the talent level at his weight I don't think he is a safe bet vs the field.

I would like to be pretty confident before I would place a bet so I don't think I would have too many selections this year. I would take Ruth and Oliver. I want to say Dake and Kilgore too, but I honestly could not imagine myself putting money against guys like Taylor and Wright.

Tough call, but in the final analysis, I'd bet on Dake.

If I had to bet meaningful money on one guy, it just makes sense to me to bet on the most accomplished guy who is proven to peak to his absolute best at the NCAA finals. Only Cael and Pat Smith have as much experience and confidence in the NCAA finals as Dake, who will most likely be wrestling Taylor, whom he knows well by now. It helps that I view Taylor as the only relevant member of the field against Dake, and Dake already beat him several times, although they've been closer and closer each time.

Second choice would be Logan Stieber, who is very close, but has both Ramos and Graf in the field. I'd put Logan over Ruth because he would have to face only one of Ramos or Graff. Similarly, Ruth has both Bosak and Hamlin, both guys who can be really frustrating to wrestle as an offensive guy and could sneak one past Ruth, who may have to face both. Kilgore is just an unknown to me versus Wright, so I'd be hard pressed to bet on him when I've already seen Dake win every time in March and beat Taylor twice this college season. I do like Kilgore over Wright, but if I had to bet real money, I'd go with what I've seen several times over what I think might happen.

Ruth, without a doubt.

I tend to agree with you but.....Ruth looked like he almost beat himself in the Big Ten finals. He's so much better than the competition that he wants everything to be perfect. If it isn't, he seems to tighten up a bit.

If I had to bet my life on one guy it would be Ruth. If I wanted to actually make money on such a bet I would take Storley. Guys like Ruth, Oliver and Dake aren't going to pay enough against the field to justify the risk of betting on them.

I know Oliver and Chamberlain have a history in Freestyle, and I think Chamberlain owns every victory... I know that was then this is now, and Oliver has toasted the competition, but Chamberlain has a lot of very big wins including making the University World team last summer. I really wonder why more don't talk about a guy that has accomplished so much.

I know Oliver and Chamberlain have a history in Freestyle, and I think Chamberlain owns every victory... I know that was then this is now, and Oliver has toasted the competition, but Chamberlain has a lot of very big wins including making the University World team last summer. I really wonder why more don't talk about a guy that has accomplished so much.

Jason would be a great bet, too. Oliver just seems to be on a mission this year, though.

I like Oliver over Ruth in this bet. As far as Chamberlain, I'm not so sure he gets past Vinson or Ness....or Sakaguchi for that matter.

Did you watch Oliver/Ness match @ National Duals? Looked like Ness was a molecule away from OT, or a win to me. :o

I like Oliver over Ruth in this bet. As far as Chamberlain, I'm not so sure he gets past Vinson or Ness....or Sakaguchi for that matter.

Do you like Oliver because he would pay better or because you think he's more likely to win than Ruth is?

Do you like Oliver because he would pay better or because you think he's more likely to win than Ruth is?

I think the competition is a little softer at 149.

Did you watch Oliver/Ness match @ National Duals? Looked like Ness was a molecule away from OT, or a win to me. :o

Yeah but,....Oliver destroyed everyone after that. Ruth only beat Steinhaus 5-3.

Every one of you would pick Ruth if your life was on the line, me included.

If Ruth is excluded, no-one is picking Dake/Taylor for obvious reasons.

After that, no great choices, honestly. I would go w/ L Stieber, but Oliver and Kilgore are the next obvious choices, but not guarantees for sure.

I honestly cannot stand the wait much longer. F'n brutal.

Yeah but,....Oliver destroyed everyone after that. Ruth only beat Steinhaus 5-3.

Ruth beat Steinhaus 5-3, but that match was never in doubt. Steinhaus is a stud, so it's not like Ruth was wrestling a nobody. Scores can be deceiving.

Ruth is about the only sure thing next week. Kilgore is a close second