HokieHWT

More deserving of being a 4-timer

Imar too. Only 1 guy could stop him. 

Old era 3 timers who weren’t allowed to compete as freshman

i think DT easily had the talent. Slight changes in luck could’ve done it (draw, better day, more sleep the night before, etc)

even a guy like Thomasello - in the right years he would’ve been a 4 timer. 

Gable if he redshirted (maybe...)

suriano - the year he got injured he has wins over both finalists. The lee loss was legit but Lee wasn’t supposed to be wrestling that season. Suriano was also in the hospital for 9 days right before Big10s ah think that year. 

Ruth. Only NCAA loss was when he had a tough in-match injury (although granted his final had he progressed was no gimme).  Nolf wrestled great as a freshman, but he did get beat in a terrific match, and he got a true gift vs Hidlay. I wouldn't put IMar up with Ruth; he got beaten solidly twice.  

First go back to any of the three time guys with perfect records.

Then I would go Ruth as when he was interested he was hell on wheels. Problem was he seemed to get bored easily and almost phoned it in.

22 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

First go back to any of the three time guys with perfect records.

Then I would go Ruth as when he was interested he was hell on wheels. Problem was he seemed to get bored easily and almost phoned it in.

Nickal was like 7-2 against the guy who kept him from being a 4 timer, I would take him over Ruth, who didn’t even make the semi finals as a freshman.

1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

Nickal was like 7-2 against the guy who kept him from being a 4 timer, I would take him over Ruth, who didn’t even make the semi finals as a freshman.

True, but Ruth got hurt pretty badly in the middle of the match he lost and had to default. He had controlled the early going, got the first takedown, and was ahead when he got hurt, after which he couldn't wrestle normally. He looked terrible trying to move.

10 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Imar too. Only 1 guy could stop him. 

Old era 3 timers who weren’t allowed to compete as freshman

i think DT easily had the talent. Slight changes in luck could’ve done it (draw, better day, more sleep the night before, etc)

even a guy like Thomasello - in the right years he would’ve been a 4 timer. 

Gable if he redshirted (maybe...)

suriano - the year he got injured he has wins over both finalists. The lee loss was legit but Lee wasn’t supposed to be wrestling that season. Suriano was also in the hospital for 9 days right before Big10s ah think that year. 

Wow. So a guy who has one title in three years really deserves four, including one next year?

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Wow. So a guy who has one title in three years really deserves four, including one next year?

I mean, nobody deserves it unless they won all 4. I’m assuming the point of this thread was to point out guys who had a reasonable path to 4 and it didn’t work out. 

12 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I mean, nobody deserves it unless they won all 4. I’m assuming the point of this thread was to point out guys who had a reasonable path to 4 and it didn’t work out. 

Watch Kemp's freshman final

43 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Yes!!!

Not Logan Stiebler, not because of the JO thing but because of the reset he received from his failed freshman year.....

And Logie Bear won four in five years of competition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cary by the Lake said:

**** Scribe: The Real Question in your case is a 4 Time What?

The sky is the limit really. No reason to think I can’t be 100x most anything you can think of. 

Untitled.png

13 hours ago, Mokoma said:

...being a 4 timer, I would take him (Nickal) over Ruth, who didn’t even make the semi finals as a freshman.

Clearly, Amuchastegui got to the semis fair/square.  A decent leg turk, a good singlet grab here/there to keep your opponent on his back, ...and you're in.  Deserving/earned.

11 hours ago, drag it said:

True, but Ruth got hurt pretty badly in the middle of the match he lost and had to default. He had controlled the early going, got the first takedown, and was ahead when he got hurt, after which he couldn't wrestle normally. He looked terrible trying to move.

Weird that Ruth's left leg was injured, but his right leg took all of the abuse as the trapped leg.  It was crazy.  Until the 3rd period, still thought he would pull a rabbit of the hat.  Credit to Amuchastegui on the turns, but Ruth was literally tied down - or 'strapped' down, if you will.

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I mean, nobody deserves it unless they won all 4. I’m assuming the point of this thread was to point out guys who had a reasonable path to 4 and it didn’t work out

I'd call that impeding Ruth's path to the 4.  That's a foul.
Grabbing headgear = okay (*ref: see Suriano vs. Fix).  Grabbing singlets = not okay (unless uncalled).

Edited by BamaGrappler