At first glance Burroughs should dominate him

then I realize it is Askren and he tends to do well in matches he isn’t supposed to win, no matter the sport. 

Burroughs should kill him but man who knows. I hope Ben at least gets a takedown or turn 

Be good fundraising for show only.  Askren is and never was a contender in  world class freestyle.   Anything less than total dominance should be embarrassing to Burros.

39 minutes ago, tbert said:

Be good fundraising for show only.  Askren is and never was a contender in  world class freestyle.   Anything less than total dominance should be embarrassing to Burros.

The point of the match is to draw attention to freestyle.  It’s very kind of Askren to use his celebrity this way.

1 hour ago, tbert said:

Dumb, Askren trained for freestyle for what, a year?  Made Olympic team and knocked off world bronze Pritzlaff along the way. 

His last match Askren got whooped by Clayton Foster so I don’t expect it to be competitive but kudos to Ben for manning up and doing it.  

25 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

I think on his old podcast Askren talked about wrestling with Burroughs several years ago in practice and getting pretty well dominated. I think they will put on a show though and Burroughs will let the match get in to some of those fun, crazy scrambles.

Exactly. It’s going to be a fun match and it’s going to get freestyle some attention. 

We should be thanking Askren.

This is Askren giving back to wrestling while keeping his name and brand out there. He won't win but it's still a fun match up that should help draw attention to the event. 

1 hour ago, Perry said:

This is Askren giving back to wrestling while keeping his name and brand out there. He won't win but it's still a fun match up that should help draw attention to the event. 

Isn’t he getting paid to do this? 

i posted this on the hawk forum:

love love love askren - but if burroughs wrestles 100% this isn't even close in freestyle.

now - make it folks with no danger rule we have a little different match - but burroughs still takes it with ease.

personally, i think JB takes it easy to not create an embarrassment. i mean come on, ESPN posted about this match. JB isn't going to annihilate the quickest rising star in the UFC that is a HUGE advocate for the sport.

4 minutes ago, Witherman said:

i posted this on the hawk forum:

love love love askren - but if burroughs wrestles 100% this isn't even close in freestyle.

now - make it folks with no danger rule we have a little different match - but burroughs still takes it with ease.

personally, i think JB takes it easy to not create an embarrassment. i mean come on, ESPN posted about this match. JB isn't going to annihilate the quickest rising star in the UFC that is a HUGE advocate for the sport.

This is sort of like Mayweather-McGregor, except neither guy gets rich from it.

Just a cool spectacle, with BTS (and wrestling in general) coming out the winner. 

Edited by Katie

2 hours ago, DuckFor2 said:

i'll be surprised if Burroughs wins as easily as some are predicting

look i love askren as much as anyone on here, but lets not forget askren got hammered by clayton foster 10-3 four years ago.

if its a close match, its because burroughs made it a close match

58 minutes ago, Witherman said:

look i love askren as much as anyone on here, but lets not forget askren got hammered by clayton foster 10-3 four years ago.

if its a close match, its because burroughs made it a close match

Clayton Foster at the time was beating a lot of tough World class wrestlers.

6 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

And Jordan Burroughs isn't doing the same thing year in and year out?

I am saying losing to Foster was not a bad loss for Askren.  I am not sure Burroughs would of beat Foster back then either.  He was wrestling very good and was big strong for his weight class.