Sign in to follow this  
GenralLee

NCAA Champs vs UFC Champs

Since most of the UFC Champs are wrestlers we need to make this event happen after BTS. 

NCAA Champs vs UFC champs in a wrestling match after BTS.

Lee vs Cejudo

Fix vs TJ Dillashaw

Yanni vs Max Holloway

Nolf vs Khabib

Valencia vs Usman/Woodley 

Myles Martin vs Whittaker

Bo Nickal vs John Jones

Gable vs Cormier

This event could be huge.

Edited by GenralLee

If done right this could take wrestling to the next level! Could bring a whole new audience  to the sport of wresting.  ESPN might take the event and run with it if presented correctly. Current NCAA champs could be future UFC champs or OLYMPIC Champs! 

I like the idea in theory, but it probably wouldn't ever happen. I would only think the UFC guys have a chance at 125 and heavyweight in those matchups. I also think you forgot to check this years NCAA results.

Of course we would want to see this, but why would the UFC guys want to do this? What is this opportunity offering the UFC guys? Our fan base is already a part of their fan base for the most part. 

12 hours ago, manyak said:

I like the idea in theory, but it probably wouldn't ever happen. I would only think the UFC guys have a chance at 125 and heavyweight in those matchups. I also think you forgot to check this years NCAA results.

I would think Lee would smoke Cejudo.

I just put some matchups I would like to see. :) If done right they could have a pretty good payday for both sides and not have to take any punches. Plus since all of the UFC champs are former wrestlers then maybe they would like to give back to the sport a little plus get a nice pay check. You could invite the Highest placing graduating senior from the NCAA guys and give them a pretty good check as well or put money in the bank for the undergrads for them after they graduate. 

What Line-up would you like to see for this event?

20 hours ago, GenralLee said:

Since most of the UFC Champs are wrestlers we need to make this event happen after BTS. 

NCAA Champs vs UFC champs in a wrestling match after BTS.

Lee vs Cejudo

Fix vs TJ Dillashaw

Yanni vs Max Holloway

Nolf vs Khabib

Valencia vs Usman/Woodley 

Myles Martin vs Whittaker

Bo Nickal vs John Jones

Gable vs Cormier

This event could be huge.

I think the key here is that it's a WRESTLING match.  Each of the UFC guys "train wrestling", but are not training to be "match competitive".  They're training wrestling as a part of their overall game.  This being said:

Lee vs. Cejudo:  Toss-up.  It's Cejudo afterall.  But I would lean Lee.

Suriano vs. Dillashaw:  Suriano, and it's not close.

Yianni vs. Holloway:  Yianni, and it's not close.

Nolf vs. Khabib:  This gets VERY interesting from my POV, but lean hard to Nolf.

Valencia vs. Usman/Woodley:  Again.. wrestling match.  Valencia, and not close. 

MyMar vs. Whittaker:  MyMar... and not close

Nickal vs. J. Jones:  Again.. in a wrestling match, Nickal, and it's not close. So... I researched lightly and saw Jones was a JUCO National Champ?  Still not close with Nickal in a wrestling match.  

Gable vs. Cormier:  Tossup.  It's Cormier, and he's more credentialed in Sr. Level freestyle than Gable at this point.  May actually lean Cormier in this one.

Otherwise... in a wrestling match... hehe... not really a "thing".

Edited by treep2000

5 hours ago, GenralLee said:

You think Lee would smoke an Olympic Champ and possibly the greatest combat sports athlete of all time (Joe Rogan's words)? 

Very Interesting. 

lol

Cejudo was an Olympic Champ 11 years ago.  It's not like he's active on the senior level and wrestling every single day against top wrestling competition.  So yes, Lee would win.  I think Cejudo might hold his own for a little bit, but let's be real here.  Lee would win.

What are Khabib's wrestling credentials? His MMA wrestling is top notch, but does he have any legit international wins or even experience?

I would think Nolf would toy with him.

Whittaker is actually on the Australian national team at 97kg. I know its not a wrestling country but just something to note. He was going to wrestle at some international tournament (i think world or asian champs) but the UFC didn't allow it. 

1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

Whittaker is actually on the Australian national team at 97kg. I know its not a wrestling country but just something to note. He was going to wrestle at some international tournament (i think world or asian champs) but the UFC didn't allow it. 

Wait... Australia has a wrestling team? 

A big factor in a potential match up is the style. In a folkstyle match the UFC champs would have no chance. In freestyle the matches are more interesting but the UFC still probably gets shut out. In Greco I wouldn't have a guess of how the match would go, but the UFC likely looses more matches than they win. 

Not sure TJ can compete now lol

Ironically the one you didn't mention is JB/Askren - that's the one that's actually happening!

Cejudo and Cormier are legit world class wrestlers of course but I'd still bet against them. Hard to gauge how Khabib would do but his background is mostly combat sambo so he'd probably get smoked. 

Edited by The Genius

On 4/8/2019 at 2:29 PM, CA_Wrestler said:

lol

Cejudo was an Olympic Champ 11 years ago.  It's not like he's active on the senior level and wrestling every single day against top wrestling competition.  So yes, Lee would win.  I think Cejudo might hold his own for a little bit, but let's be real here.  Lee would win.

Didn't cejudo pop up in the last Oly Trials? If I remember correctly he looked pretty good.  That was without even being in the mat much.  

13 hours ago, scramble said:

Didn't cejudo pop up in the last Oly Trials? If I remember correctly he looked pretty good.  That was without even being in the mat much.  

2012 trials in Iowa city, wrestled well I think he got beat in the semis. 

This is a fantastic idea and creates some interesting conversation but unfortunately will never happen because the ufc wouldn’t put their champs/superstars in a position where almost every one of them could be beat. 

Also it’s been mentioned but the ufc guys are training a different style of wrestling. They are training as if potential punches, knees, submissions, etc are coming. Where a traditional wrestler may finish a single/double with their head high a mixed martial arts fighter may not as there is a potential guillotine choke coming. I think you guys get the point. 

Awesome thread though, might tweet this as a question for the next FRL to get there thoughts on it but will probably be the same as we’ve already said here. 

On 4/11/2019 at 11:58 AM, Witherman said:

2012 trials in Iowa city, wrestled well I think he got beat in the semis. 

This is a fantastic idea and creates some interesting conversation but unfortunately will never happen because the ufc wouldn’t put their champs/superstars in a position where almost every one of them could be beat. 

Also it’s been mentioned but the ufc guys are training a different style of wrestling. They are training as if potential punches, knees, submissions, etc are coming. Where a traditional wrestler may finish a single/double with their head high a mixed martial arts fighter may not as there is a potential guillotine choke coming. I think you guys get the point. 

Awesome thread though, might tweet this as a question for the next FRL to get there thoughts on it but will probably be the same as we’ve already said here. 

Cejudo lost to Nick Simmons in the semi-finals then forfeited out.  Looked like freestyle rust and lack of familiarity with Simmons were the biggest reasons for the loss.  

5 hours ago, Rhackler said:

Cejudo lost to Nick Simmons in the semi-finals then forfeited out.  Looked like freestyle rust and lack of familiarity with Simmons were the biggest reasons for the loss.  

thanks for posting - good memory.  i can actually see myself in that video about 8 rows up by the stairway.