scribe

What was up with spencer Lee this year?

Lee was struggling after the Pokemon Go servers went down. This also marked the second straight winter in which they failed to update or upgrade the app. For a Pokemon trainer, the period of the last two years is generally referred to as "the long night." 

35 minutes ago, potentiallydangerous said:

My general practitioner insists there is something called double pneumonia, although he won't say if it means it's in two lungs or caused by two different organisms, so maybe there is something like it called double mono.

Wouldn't that be called Stereo?

My only critique of Lee, is that he tends to finish many of his shots on his knees.  This is how Picc caught him, and also how Rivera hipped into him in the Big 10 finals to win in OT.  

If he would listen to me, and not finish on his knees, he might start winning some NCAA titles 

3 hours ago, StallWarning said:

Why would anything be up with him?  He won his second straight national championship at 125lbs.  Nothing was up.

While the end result was the same, it is very hard to argue he wasnt as dominating during the year, and something was behind that.  Getting beat and pinned by guys he dominated the year prior is a red flag.  Throw in the 3rd period gassing and it isnt a stretch to think something was up.

2 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

Took too long beating Let’s Go Pikachu on the Nintendo Switch. He finished it right before the tournament.

Interesting theory. And even more interesting is next season will test this. There is a new pokemon game coming out, supposedly around the holidays (probably in time for black Friday). If he looks good this summer during freestyle and then suddenly falls off again near the beginning of next season, then this is the only logical cause. This new game should be larger, and take more time to complete than the Let's Go game, so he likely would not be able to complete it in time to recover his form like he managed to do this year. I wonder if the odds makers will account for this pokemon factor.

One thing, it is very hard to go undefeated. It is like room familiarity. Sometimes it is all about styles. Seabass probably dropped the ball at nationals taking Mueller a little too lightly maybe. Mueller broke him. If he gets by Mueller he might beat Lee again, hard to say.

Lee also adapted vs. Picc. He didn't make the same mistake, but that is what good wrestlers do.

Heard rumors about mono.  Have no idea if true or not but would certainly fit with what we saw over the last 12 months.  And I heard people on here (when talking sit about Lee was the cool thing to do) "well is this the second or third time this year he has gotten mono".  I don't think people realize how long that stuff stays with you, and part of the prescription is to NOT exercise.  So like I said, no idea if true or not, but having gotten mono certainly fits with what we saw....just my opinion.

8 hours ago, scribe said:

Not nearly as dominating, but good enough to win. Sorry if I missed this info from other threads. 

There was something - i have a good connection with a current wrestler.   But he said they didn't want it leaving the team so i don't know what it was.   Previously he had mentioned that Lee was sick, not sure if they are related

I think anyone with any sort of sense realizes something was definitely wrong. 

1). Stamina- Lee's stamina looked abysmal from about minute 4 on-going. Anyone who has watched Lee realizes he has never had a problem with "gassing-out". 

2). Strength- Lee's ability to defend low shots was substantially down this year. Sebass bulled threw him on the final takedown of the B1G finals, Picc was able to throw him to his back with that cradle (I believe that was a bone-head move on Lee's part more than being overpowered), and we definitely saw Glory ride him hard. Remember, this is the same guy who turned NaTo and Suriano a year prior. Two VERY strong 125'ers. 

Do people really believe that his stamina and strength just fell off that drastically in one year with nothing wrong with the kid? I highly doubt under TnT his strength would ever fall off and there's absolutely no way his stamina did under those two guys. I could believe that his in-match tactics would or maybe even his offensive arsenal would lack a little due to TnT's coaching philosophy (wear the opponent out). But....I just can't see how Lee's glaring weaknesses this year of stamina and strength would drastically decrease under TnT....especially with Lee not even wrestling a freestyle summer circuit. 

All signs lead me to believe it was a bad case of Mono. 

Edited by MrDream

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Heard rumors about mono.  Have no idea if true or not but would certainly fit with what we saw over the last 12 months.  And I heard people on here (when talking sit about Lee was the cool thing to do) "well is this the second or third time this year he has gotten mono".  I don't think people realize how long that stuff stays with you, and part of the prescription is to NOT exercise.  So like I said, no idea if true or not, but having gotten mono certainly fits with what we saw....just my opinion.

Ironside said on air that he was hospitalized with mono-like symptoms, then no one ever spoke of it again. Take from that what you will. 

Heard it was lyme disease -fwiw-  Probably just his ole dad got in the way of something once again-Larry Lee fan I am not-cracks me up that he had to move to Iowa this time-just can't let his kid alone-