Sign in to follow this  
treep2000

Request for Info: Adult Wrestling Clubs/Schools

I started a thread (on accident) in the collegiate forum.  It probably best lives here with the International Styles.

I have an interest in using wrestling (light drilling/sparring/brief go-lives) as a way to keep in shape, stay flexible, and just relive my youth through my mid-life crisis.  Instead of buying a Corvette, I'm choosing healthfulness.  Since wrestling is my beloved, but it's been quite some time that I've been on a wrestling mat, I'd love to give it a go, and if plans out well, potentially participate in some Masters/Veterans tournaments.  

This "re-ignition of passion" for the sport has been sparked by my latest foray into the world of BJJ.  As a sister grappling discipline, the commonalities between BJJ and wrestling are greater than one would think.  The beauty of the school that I attend is that they DO cater to all ages, from 5-75 (one guy is 76 years old, actually), as well as both men and women.  

Question:  How do I find a wrestling club that accepts (with payment of course) "adults" who simply wish to do what they are already doing in other disciplines (a la BJJ, Krav Maga, etc.), but instead, WRESTLE.  

Hoping that posting in this forum may draw the attention of USAW, and maybe I could get an official response?  If it's actually as hard that I'm thinking it is to find a school/club that accepts adults, then I think there is a HUGE lost business opportunity.  

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone. 

I started a thread (on accident) in the collegiate forum.  It probably best lives here with the International Styles.
I have an interest in using wrestling (light drilling/sparring/brief go-lives) as a way to keep in shape, stay flexible, and just relive my youth through my mid-life crisis.  Instead of buying a Corvette, I'm choosing healthfulness.  Since wrestling is my beloved, but it's been quite some time that I've been on a wrestling mat, I'd love to give it a go, and if plans out well, potentially participate in some Masters/Veterans tournaments.  
This "re-ignition of passion" for the sport has been sparked by my latest foray into the world of BJJ.  As a sister grappling discipline, the commonalities between BJJ and wrestling are greater than one would think.  The beauty of the school that I attend is that they DO cater to all ages, from 5-75 (one guy is 76 years old, actually), as well as both men and women.  
Question:  How do I find a wrestling club that accepts (with payment of course) "adults" who simply wish to do what they are already doing in other disciplines (a la BJJ, Krav Maga, etc.), but instead, WRESTLE.  
Hoping that posting in this forum may draw the attention of USAW, and maybe I could get an official response?  If it's actually as hard that I'm thinking it is to find a school/club that accepts adults, then I think there is a HUGE lost business opportunity.  
Thoughts?
Thanks everyone. 

I went through this a few years back myself. It led me to trying both Judo and BJJ several times each. Judo was painful (on multiple levels), and I had the same experience with BJJ as you seem to have had. As it turned out, I was living in the city with what I think is one of the only adult-centered wrestling clubs in the country, so far as I can tell...Good luck in your search, it’s not an easy one.

There is a training center in Houston, Texas called Paradigm Training Center that offers classes in wrestling (folk, freestyle, and greco), kickboxing, BJJ, fitness, judo, weight training, and MMA training.   Really nice facility with good mats and weight rooms.

https://www.txgym.com/

School was originally set up by some Oklahoma State wrestlers.  Great school, nice people.  Wrestling is on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7:30pm - 9pm. at the Rice Avenue location.

Grade school, high school, college, and some older wrestlers go there every week.  They will pair you with a suitable age/weight/experience training partner.  You can work technique, wrestle live matches or both.  It's great and the coaches are very knowledgeable.  If you do it consistently you will get in very good physical shape.  (Plus its fun!!).  I have seen wrestlers show up from many universities and even Cuban Freestylers and Greco plus other nationalities.