WillieBoy

Cael as a head coach - can he match Gable?

Cael Sanderson is heading into his 14th season as a Head Coach. He has 8 NCAA titles in that time. He needs 7 more titles to match the record Dan Gable set at Iowa as Head Coach. A record of 15 Titles in 21 seasons. That gives Coach Sanderson eight seasons to guide Penn State to seven more Titles to match Gable. That is taking into account Cael's whole career as a Head Coach.

If we only count Penn State, leaving out Iowa State for three years then Cael has Eleven more seasons to win 7 titles to match Gable.

Gable was Assistant at Iowa for four seasons before becoming Head Coach.  Cael was assistant at at Iowa State for Three(?) seasons before taking the top job.

So, can Cael do it at Penn State? Overall - I don't think so. Just Penn State head coach - at least 50/50 on him making it.

What do you think?

48 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Cael screams at the officials too.  Usually to force a video review which result 99% in his favor.

IF that is the case then you are blaming him for noticing something wrong and calling it to the ref's attention?

14 minutes ago, jchapman said:

But did Gable kill off National Duals?

Nobody cares about National Duals. That's why half the time teams that had no chance of winning NCAAs were winning "National Duals": it was their chance to win SOMETHING.

Edited by TobusRex

2 minutes ago, headshuck said:

An example is I don’t believe there was conclusive evidence to reverse the officials call in the Nolf Hidlay match.

I thought Hidlay had the 2. I also think Nolf would've roared back to win anyway if it had been called. However it's Cael's job to get all the breaks for his wrestlers that he can, so I don't blame him. If the referees get the call wrong, can't blame the coach.

Edited by TobusRex

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

He's won 8 so far without ever once screaming out to the official that the other team's guy was stalling, so as far as I am concerned he's already way ahead. 

As well as screaming out to the official that his own guy was stalling...

4 minutes ago, GockeS said:

i think he will surpass gable.

and it will be easy.

if he keeps on this recruiting cycle.. though there have been some guys leaving recently

After Gables 9 year title run and Iowa didnt win for a couple years in a row didnt the culture go a little south? I remember hearing that there was an increase in partying and decrease in dedication. I think maintaining that kind of culture is tough. You get one bad apple in there and everything can fall apart. Cael is certainly on pace, but maintaining it wont be easy.

Gable was 7.39 scholarships over for 4 years, see Des Moines Register 7/27/93. How many would he have won without this advantage? Also what about all the other years he probably cheated. Yes he cheated and Bobby Douglas called him on it.

2 minutes ago, Martini said:

Gable was 7.39 scholarships over for 4 years, see Des Moines Register 7/27/93. How many would he have won without this advantage? Also what about all the other years he probably cheated. Yes he cheated and Bobby Douglas called him on it.

Iowa fans will start circling the wagon.

I believe JRob left after they missed 10.  I hope that some day we see that Cunningham is equal to JRob, but man, that's going to be hard to do.  Either way, Cael is a great Coach.  It's surprising how often great wrestlers are great coaches.  In many other sports you virtually never hear of a former great player becoming a great coach.  He's the whole package.  Hall of fame career as an athlete and eventually as a Coach.  Great recruiting plus great development especially at the highest levels, equals greatness.  Really, the steady greatness has already put him in a group of 3 or 4 coaches all time.  I will have no trouble calling him the greatest coach I have ever seen if he passes Dan the man.  I came into the sport the year before Dan Gable lost to Larry Owings but that is the tournament where I really became a fan.  I was an Oklahoma kid, but I was heart broken when Dan Gable lost.  He was beyond a legend among the youth of this country.  My point is, I've seen virtually every champion and coach performance in the last 49 years.  We are truly getting to see something special here.  Keep it up Cael.  

I would love to have 5 - 10 teams annually with a legitimate shot at the NCAA title.  Sadly, NCAA wrestling is about solid programs and dynasties...OSU, Iowa, PSU.  We need an '88 Arizona St.

23 minutes ago, Peso said:

It's surprising how often great wrestlers are great coaches.  In many other sports you virtually never hear of a former great player becoming a great coach.

Thought about that myself a few times.  My theory is it has a lot to do with wrestling being an individual sport so great wrestlers can spot others with similar mental characteristics.  Think of it this way.  Five Michael Jordan's probably wouldn't make for a great basketball team.

Edited by portajohn

5 minutes ago, jysupert said:

I would love to have 5 - 10 teams annually with a legitimate shot at the NCAA title.  Sadly, NCAA wrestling is about solid programs and dynasties...OSU, Iowa, PSU.  We need an '88 Arizona St.

With next year being an Olympic year maybe Cornell sneaks their way to the top of the podium?  Unlikely but small chance.

Edited by portajohn

An example is I don’t believe there was conclusive evidence to reverse the officials call in the Nolf Hidlay match.

The ref chose to review that call. It was not a coach’s challenge. Willie from Flo talked to the ref about it afterwards. Ref told Willie that he knew he made a bad call the moment he called it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ref chose to review that call. It was not a coach’s challenge. Willie from Flo talked to the ref about it afterwards. Ref told Willie that he knew he made a bad call the moment he called it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ref should have his credentials revoked immediately.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk