Perry

US Open Discussion

Some solid guys already registered. Most interesting for the weight is Kevin Jack up at 70kg. He was always sucked down in college but I'm still shocked he's gotten so big. 57 and 61kg both look like fireworks

9 hours ago, Perry said:

Some solid guys already registered. Most interesting for the weight is Kevin Jack up at 70kg. He was always sucked down in college but I'm still shocked he's gotten so big. 57 and 61kg both look like fireworks

This tournament is going to be awesome. Not to surprised with Jack up at 70kg. it's a 13lb jump, but he is a full year removed from shrinking his body down to 141 for 4 straight years. I think he places top 7 and qualifies for the WTT. 

Anyone know Garrett's plan?  He's currently not registered for the Open. He is already qualified for WTT since he was on the World team last year (even though he didn't compete at World's) so thinking maybe he will take an extra month to heal and just wrestle at WTT? (while he wouldn't get a bye, he'd surely get the top seed at WTT)  If that's the case, 61 Open seems really interesting... the field is deep, but the top 2 won't be there, so someone who many are overlooking will get a bye to the WTT finals.

2 hours ago, Nicky_Pipes said:

This tournament is going to be awesome. Not to surprised with Jack up at 70kg. it's a 13lb jump, but he is a full year removed from shrinking his body down to 141 for 4 straight years. I think he places top 7 and qualifies for the WTT.  

Me neither, NC State is doing great things but man those guys seemingly all cut a ton of weight. 

3 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Has Garrett wrestled at all since last year's Final X? 

No, which you wouldn't expect.  He tore his pec in late fall and I think it is generally at least a 6 month recovery (although if anyone could do it faster, it would be Garrett).

Edited by rpm002

13 hours ago, Perry said:

Got a link to see who is registered?

1 hour ago, Crash said:

When did Stieber last wrestle?  He is conspicuously absent from Flo's preview of 65KG.  He also is not registered (although it is early). 

The world championships I think. A lot of clubs haven’t registered any guys yet, OSU and Nittany Lion among them. 

19 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

The world championships I think. A lot of clubs haven’t registered any guys yet, OSU and Nittany Lion among them. 

No Nebraska guys yet either. We should see Green and Maybe Burger at 70kg

On 4/9/2019 at 7:12 AM, rpm002 said:

Anyone know Garrett's plan?  He's currently not registered for the Open. He is already qualified for WTT since he was on the World team last year (even though he didn't compete at World's) so thinking maybe he will take an extra month to heal and just wrestle at WTT? (while he wouldn't get a bye, he'd surely get the top seed at WTT)  If that's the case, 61 Open seems really interesting... the field is deep, but the top 2 won't be there, so someone who many are overlooking will get a bye to the WTT finals.

I do. But I'll let it be a surprise.  

7 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

I do. But I'll let it be a surprise.  

Haha, fair enough.  

Here's the best way to think of 61KG.  Last month, Colon beat Waters in an exhibition match 7-6.  Colon is #1 at this weight.  Waters didn't make the top 10 recently published by USA Wrestling.  There are literally about 10 guys who could win this weight if they have a great day and get the right matchups, and I think most of them could beat Colon as well.

A healthy Garrett would be the fairly strong favorite in my eyes, but if he is not in top form or gets upset,  I see this weight as very wide open.

Edited by rpm002

2 hours ago, treep2000 said:

57KG is setting up to be a domestic barn-burner.

* Fix

* Delgado

* Nato

* Picc

* Seabass

* Gilman

* Arujau

I fully expect Lee to register as well.  This is going to be "fun".

Why do you expect Lee to register? I've seen no indication that he's going to wrestle seniors this year. He also still has junior eligibility and could sleep walk his way onto that team to reintroduce himself to freestyle (hasn't wrestled freestyle since 2016).

47 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

Why do you expect Lee to register? I've seen no indication that he's going to wrestle seniors this year. He also still has junior eligibility and could sleep walk his way onto that team to reintroduce himself to freestyle (hasn't wrestled freestyle since 2016).

Let me rephrase... I would anticipate Lee to register.  Maybe "hope".

Damn... all you people are so freakin' literal... jeesh.

1 hour ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

People just like to argue around here, they look for any reason. 

Wow, that's so weird that people want to talk about wrestling on a wrestling forum! Why do you think that is? 

In reality, I wasn't arguing, just asking why he "expected" Lee to wrestle. That's a very strong word to use and led me to believe he might have seen something I hadn't. I really want to see Lee wrestle this summer. I wasn't intending to attack anyone.

5 hours ago, qc8223 said:

He's no longer Junior eligible

21 hours ago, rpm002 said:

Haha, fair enough.  

Here's the best way to think of 61KG.  Last month, Colon beat Waters in an exhibition match 7-6.  Colon is #1 at this weight.  Waters didn't make the top 10 recently published by USA Wrestling.  There are literally about 10 guys who could win this weight if they have a great day and get the right matchups, and I think most of them could beat Colon as well.

A healthy Garrett would be the fairly strong favorite in my eyes, but if he is not in top form or gets upset,  I see this weight as very wide open.

I expect that if Nashon meets Colon, he will beat Colon.