Perry

US Open Discussion

Am I reading it correctly, or is David Carr registered for BOTH Seniors and Juniors?  Is that a typo/glitch?

Carr has a tremendous shot at representing for Juniors.  Seniors?  Will be interesting to see how he stacks up, if true.

39 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Am I reading it correctly, or is David Carr registered for BOTH Seniors and Juniors?  Is that a typo/glitch?

Carr has a tremendous shot at representing for Juniors.  Seniors?  Will be interesting to see how he stacks up, if true.

I wouldn't think its a glitch. He recently wrestled Seniors at the Schultz and had success. Gable did it last year doing well in both.

57 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

At the Schultz, Carr beat Dylan Ness and had a 1pt match with Molinaro. Also interested in how he stacks up with the rest of the field.

Edited by yonz_g

I think if you are JO/Zain, you want to avoid each other and Frank until the finals.  Most people seem to be talking about them as a clear top 2, but I see it as a clear top 3 and then a gap after that. People forget that Frank did beat Zain in match 1 when Zain made the team in 2017.  His run in 2016 also might suggest that Frank does better when no one is talking about him, which seems to be the case this year.  Not saying he'll necessarily win the Open, but I think Frank will be a very tough out.

Pre-seeds are out for the US Open:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2019/April/22/US-Open-freestyle-preseeds-announced

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6456539-pre-seeds-released-for-2019-us-open

Selective notes:

Gilman at 1; Fix at 2

Megaludis at 1; Graff at 2; Ramos at 5

JO at 1; Zain at 2; McKenna at 3; Molinaro at 4; Yianni at 5; Eiermann at 6

Green at 1; Chamberlin at 2; Sorensen at 3; Nolf at 4 

Zilmer at 1; Nickal at 2

Edited by dmm53

61 is seeded very reasonably, IMO. They took the head to head results available as far as they could.  Nico beat Graff, Graff and Whitford both beat Clark, Clark beat Ramos.  Ramos has obviously had very strong results in the past, so he can't be any lower than 5.  Brewer won the Schultz, so he is 6.  The only one who might have a gripe is Dijulius, as he did beat Clark at this event last year.  But I don't think he has any other results to point to whereas Graff has teched Brewer multiple times and Whitford beat Mack and Rodriguez to come back for 3rd place at the Schultz.

One thing I was watching for.... Ramos and Graff have never met in senior-level freestyle.... will it happen here?  Looks like they wouldn't hit each other until the final.  Would be pretty amazing if that was how it shook out.

So does the fact that only 3 people are seeded for 79kg mean that only three people are wrestling?  Or maybe you have to have some level of seeding criteria to get a seed, even if they can't fill them all. 

2 hours ago, yonz_g said:

At the Schultz, Carr beat Dylan Ness and had a 1pt match with Molinaro. Also interested in how he stacks up with the rest of the field.

I was at Schultz when he beat Ness and had the 1pt'er with Molinaro.  The entire seating section was on its feet.  I'm a shorty, and J'Den was hanging out next to my son and I.  Incredibly exciting match. 

UofM fellars look to have favorable draws.

Pantaleo at 6 has me frothing. His toughest match to the finals may very well be Deakin.

Massa at 10 does as well. Shields rematch then Gantt then Wick? Yes please.

Coon at 1. I want to see him dwarf White.

35 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Nolf has a freestyle win over Chamberlain. I would have preferred he wrestle Jason in the semi and Green in the final. 

Pantaleo does too doesn't he?

They must be weighing his run in the WTT heavily still.

I believe their win over him was 2 Opens ago?

1 hour ago, dmm53 said:

Ah yeah found it.

It was the 2017 US Open. Pantaleo actually beat Chamberlain twice there, 8-6 and 5-1.  Both Nolf and Pantaleo lost to Pami(now up at 74). Two years changes a lot.

Edited by nhs67
I have fat fingers and need to spellcheck.