Perry

US Open Discussion

22 hours ago, qc8223 said:

Why do you expect Lee to register? I've seen no indication that he's going to wrestle seniors this year. He also still has junior eligibility and could sleep walk his way onto that team to reintroduce himself to freestyle (hasn't wrestled freestyle since 2016).

He really hasn’t wrestled freestyle since 2016? 

3 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

He really hasn’t wrestled freestyle since 2016? 

Correct. He hasn’t had a single official freestyle match since then. 

It is pretty crazy. I don’t really get it but they know what they are doing I’m sure. I just really hope it has nothing to do with worrying about causing a rift on the team. If that’s the case I wish Lee didn’t go to Iowa. 

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

Correct. He hasn’t had a single official freestyle match since then. 

It is pretty crazy. I don’t really get it but they know what they are doing I’m sure. I just really hope it has nothing to do with worrying about causing a rift on the team. If that’s the case I wish Lee didn’t go to Iowa. 

I do not think that would be a reason Lee does not wrestle seniors.  Let the best man win!

1 hour ago, Alwayswrestling said:

I do not think that would be a reason Lee does not wrestle seniors.  Let the best man win!

I disagree here, Lee was a Destroyer of Worlds at NCAAs and then deciding (before dropping out) that he was going to do a couple overseas tournies in the summer last year instead of the Open and Trials.  I think if Gilman wasn't there, he would have went (or at least committed to) to the Open/FinalX last year. 

Of course I could be wrong and maybe am misremembering the timeline...

3 hours ago, Gantry said:

I disagree here, Lee was a Destroyer of Worlds at NCAAs and then deciding (before dropping out) that he was going to do a couple overseas tournies in the summer last year instead of the Open and Trials.  I think if Gilman wasn't there, he would have went (or at least committed to) to the Open/FinalX last year. 

Of course I could be wrong and maybe am misremembering the timeline...

I have no idea or inside information but as a competitor I would not of wanted anything given to me especially by a teammate.  I can not imagine Gilman expecting this to happen.

The US Pan Am roster:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2019/April/12/2019-MFS-pan-am-roster

2019 SENIOR PAN AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIPS
at Buenos Aires, Argentina, April 18-21

U.S. Men’s Freestyle roster
57 kg: Josh Rodriguez (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC)
61 kg: Joe Colon (Fresno, Calif./Titan Mercury WC/Valley RTC)
65 kg: Colton McCrystal (Lincoln, Neb./Nebraska WTC)
70 kg: Anthony Ashnault (South Plainfield, N.J./NJRTC)
74 kg: Jordan Burroughs (Lincoln, Neb./Sunkist Kids)
79 kg: Chandler Rogers (Stillwater, Okla./Titan Mercury WC/Cowboy RTC)
86 kg: David Taylor (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC)
92 kg: J’den Cox (Colorado Springs, Colo./Titan Mercury WC/USOTC)
97 kg: Kyle Snyder (Columbus, Ohio/Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)
125 kg: Nick Gwiazdowksi (Raleigh, N.C./Titan Mercury WC)

On 4/11/2019 at 9:54 AM, treep2000 said:

57KG is setting up to be a domestic barn-burner.

* Fix

* Delgado

* Nato

* Picc

* Seabass

* Gilman

* Arujau

I fully expect Lee to register as well.  This is going to be "fun".

Wow!  That's like the leaderboard at the Master's.

Glad to see Molinaro back at 65kg. After his amazing run of just missing out on an Olympic medal, I have been routing for him to get a world medal. I wish he would’ve been down at 65 for this past year because I think he would’ve been our best rep.  Unfortunately, I’m not too confident in him making the team with Retherford and Oliver back. He can certainly do it just going to be tougher

Well I was kind of hoping that GHulk would stay up at 70, I believe he's probably healthier and no doubt stronger at that weight. However, if he really is dropping down to 65, he has no doubt made the calculation that this is his best opportunity. 

9 hours ago, dmm53 said:

The US Pan Am roster:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2019/April/12/2019-MFS-pan-am-roster

2019 SENIOR PAN AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIPS
at Buenos Aires, Argentina, April 18-21

U.S. Men’s Freestyle roster
57 kg: Josh Rodriguez (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC)
61 kg: Joe Colon (Fresno, Calif./Titan Mercury WC/Valley RTC)
65 kg: Colton McCrystal (Lincoln, Neb./Nebraska WTC)
70 kg: Anthony Ashnault (South Plainfield, N.J./NJRTC)
74 kg: Jordan Burroughs (Lincoln, Neb./Sunkist Kids)
79 kg: Chandler Rogers (Stillwater, Okla./Titan Mercury WC/Cowboy RTC)
86 kg: David Taylor (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC)
92 kg: J’den Cox (Colorado Springs, Colo./Titan Mercury WC/USOTC)
97 kg: Kyle Snyder (Columbus, Ohio/Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)
125 kg: Nick Gwiazdowksi (Raleigh, N.C./Titan Mercury WC)

That line up will win every weight class or come close to it.

15 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

That line up will win every weight class or come close to it.

Can’t tell if you are kidding tBar! Help. 

Rodriguez is either much improved or just better at freestyle, but Cuba is strong at 57 

mcrystal is not winning 65. No chance. 

Ashnault is unlikely to win 70kg but I shouldn’t judge until I see him in freestyle I guess. I think guys will get to his legs. He is vulnerable defensively and relies on his offense to win. That is a difficult style against top level guys in freestyle. It means he has to have very good par terre defense, which is pretty unlikely. 

Chandler rogers has almost no chance at 79kg. He is also very small for the weight. I love watching the guy because of his pins, but cmon. 

I do think we sweep the rest of the weights although Gwiz will have a tough match. I expect him take it 

10 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Can’t tell if you are kidding tBar! Help. 

Rodriguez is either much improved or just better at freestyle, but Cuba is strong at 57 

mcrystal is not winning 65. No chance. 

Ashnault is unlikely to win 70kg but I shouldn’t judge until I see him in freestyle I guess. I think guys will get to his legs. He is vulnerable defensively and relies on his offense to win. That is a difficult style against top level guys in freestyle. It means he has to have very good par terre defense, which is pretty unlikely. 

Chandler rogers has almost no chance at 79kg. He is also very small for the weight. I love watching the guy because of his pins, but cmon. 

I do think we sweep the rest of the weights although Gwiz will have a tough match. I expect him take it 

It was a bit of hyperbole. I don't think Rogers will win, but the others have a decent chance and we will obviously win many weights very easily. 

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I have no clue what Chandler's competition is like but he isn't exactly a freestyle novice, made the finals at 86kg last year at the U23, losing to Myles 13-9 the first match

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I wonder if Dake’s absence means he’s planning on going 74 kg this year. 

Dake's absence at Pan Ams and this tweet (below) signal he is moving on down or at least going to test the waters at 74KG at the US Open.

If he feels good and performs well, perhaps he will stay at the weight to take on Borroughs in Final X (assuming of course Dake earns the spot).   If not, I believe he still has time to accept his own Final X spot at 79 KG right after the US Open:

On 4/13/2019 at 8:13 AM, TBar1977 said:

It was a bit of hyperbole. I don't think Rogers will win, but the others have a decent chance and we will obviously win many weights very easily. 

If Cuba sends their best not a single weight will be won "very easily".  I don't know Cuba's lineup, but after our number 1 guys, Cubans are probably favored.