Crash

Rankings Released

Clark over Graff is ridiculous.  Graff beat him 11-4 in the Grand Prix of Spain finals 9 months ago.  Last year at the US Open, Graff was 4th and Clark was DNP.  Actually, that understates how awful his tournament was... Clark lost to DiJulius in his very first consolation match, 2 rounds before the "blood round" that determined who would finish in the top 8, so really he finished in 17th place, at best).  Since then, Clark has wrestled internationally a lot, but with limited success.  Pretty laughable it takes them a full year to put out rankings and this sort of indefensible garbage is the best they can come up with.

Edited by rpm002

16 minutes ago, rpm002 said:

Clark over Graff is ridiculous.  Graff beat him 11-4 in the Grand Prix of Spain finals about a year ago.  Last year at the US Open, Graff was 4th and Clark was DNP.  Actually, that understates how awful his tournament was... Clark lost to DiJulius in his very first consolation match, 2 rounds before the "blood round" that determined who would finish in the top 8, so really he finished in 17th place, at best).  Since then, Clark has wrestled internationally a lot, but with limited success.  Pretty laughable it takes them a full year to put out rankings and this sort of indefensible garbage is the best they can come up with.

Has Graff competed at all in past six months?  But agree there are a few head scratchers in the rankings.  Is Richard Perry even able to wrestle right now?

No, he was 4th in the Open, 3rd at Trials, and won the tournament in Spain in July (beating Clark in the final).  I think that's it for the last year.  It's just weird if his last match was soundly beating Clark why Clark would magically be ahead of him now.  Because Clark beat Ramos in an exhibition event?  That seems like the reason, but it isn't a very good reason.

For what it is worth, I think every Olympic weight next year will be manned by the #1 ranked wrestler at the weight in these rankings.  Most likely exception is if Cox moves back down to challenge Taylor, which I think I heard he isn't, but I would still favor Taylor now.

So if you are ranked does that mean you have given intensions to wrestle the open or trials at your weight class???  Saw NIckal at 92k. Number #3 wow. 

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Will these be the seeds for the US open? At least the order for those that show

Not necessarily, but a good indicator. 

79kg is looking a lit like 74kg a few years ago.  Dake, Deringer, Valencia, Hall.  That's a pretty deep grouping.  I don't think I would have Valencia over Deringer though.

Also, Varner at 125kg is going to make it interesting.

14 minutes ago, scramble said:

79kg is looking a lit like 74kg a few years ago.  Dake, Deringer, Valencia, Hall.  That's a pretty deep grouping.  I don't think I would have Valencia over Deringer though.

Zahid is 2-0 against Dieringer....

1 hour ago, scramble said:

Did you miss all of 2018 or something?

is Richard Perry back? being ranked at 3 at 86 after his tragic injury is impressive if he's actually back to that level. Can't imagine he is.

agree,  McKenna#2 ahead of JO and Retherford is interesting but is it warranted.

and as already stated seeing Varner still ranked at 125 is also intriguing.

18 hours ago, Creek chub said:

Dang! Mehki Lewis is #5 and never wrestled a senior level match. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him climb the rankings very quickly 

Lewis has so much potential. In the span of less then a year, he:

1) wins a junior world gold in only his third freestyle tournament ever;

2) then, as a freshman, he wins arguably the most competitive weight class at NCAAs without giving up a takedown.

Just incredible. 

26 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

is Richard Perry back? being ranked at 3 at 86 after his tragic injury is impressive if he's actually back to that level. Can't imagine he is.

agree,  McKenna#2 ahead of JO and Retherford is interesting but is it warranted.

and as already stated seeing Varner still ranked at 125 is also intriguing.

I guess they are going by last years finish for the national team. Neither JO or Zain participated last year. 

2 hours ago, Katie said:

Lewis has so much potential. In the span of less then a year, he:

1) wins a junior world gold in only his third freestyle tournament ever;

2) then, as a freshman, he wins arguably the most competitive weight class at NCAAs without giving up a takedown.

Just incredible. 

Agreed 100%. I’ll admit at times I look at him with orange and maroon lens so I’m a little biased. But as you stated, his accomplishments are off the charts this early in his career. I know the jump from juniors to seniors is a huge step and I’m not predicting him to unseat Burroughs, at least not this year. His ceiling is so high and I’m looking forward to seeing him go against the elite US guys fully expecting some wow moments and some instances where his lack of FS experience will show. One thing is for sure, if he stays healthy and hungry, he’s gonna wreck a lot of guys sooner rather than later

20 hours ago, rpm002 said:

Clark over Graff is ridiculous.  Graff beat him 11-4 in the Grand Prix of Spain finals 9 months ago.  Last year at the US Open, Graff was 4th and Clark was DNP.  Actually, that understates how awful his tournament was... Clark lost to DiJulius in his very first consolation match, 2 rounds before the "blood round" that determined who would finish in the top 8, so really he finished in 17th place, at best).  Since then, Clark has wrestled internationally a lot, but with limited success.  Pretty laughable it takes them a full year to put out rankings and this sort of indefensible garbage is the best they can come up with.

I just remembered Whitford just beat Clark in Cuba as well, yet he is ranked 6 spots below Clark.  Hope they fix this nonsense for the US Open seeds.

1 hour ago, Creek chub said:

Agreed 100%. I’ll admit at times I look at him with orange and maroon lens so I’m a little biased. But as you stated, his accomplishments are off the charts this early in his career. I know the jump from juniors to seniors is a huge step and I’m not predicting him to unseat Burroughs, at least not this year. His ceiling is so high and I’m looking forward to seeing him go against the elite US guys fully expecting some wow moments and some instances where his lack of FS experience will show. One thing is for sure, if he stays healthy and hungry, he’s gonna wreck a lot of guys sooner rather than later

74kg is loaded throughout the world too....

Sidakova - 22/23 years old and is just absolutely insane on offense. Can literally score from anywhere on the mat. 

Chamizo - Enough said. I actually think Lewis' defense holds up well against Chamizo....but can it hold for the entirety of the match...?

Hasanov - Crazy good too. I am assuming he will go down as opposed to up as 70-75kg is his more natural weight. 

All and all we will have to see what strides Lewis will make at the senior circuit. If his defense transitions well into senior level, it might be lights out for all the guys listed above! 

58 minutes ago, MrDream said:

74kg is loaded throughout the world too....

Sidakova - 22/23 years old and is just absolutely insane on offense. Can literally score from anywhere on the mat. 

Chamizo - Enough said. I actually think Lewis' defense holds up well against Chamizo....but can it hold for the entirety of the match...?

Hasanov - Crazy good too. I am assuming he will go down as opposed to up as 70-75kg is his more natural weight. 

All and all we will have to see what strides Lewis will make at the senior circuit. If his defense transitions well into senior level, it might be lights out for all the guys listed above! 

I’d say his defense will be okay on the next level. I watched his U23 final. It was against one of the ‘Stan countries. His D was insane and he actually one arm tossed his guy out of bounds. His offense is where I think he may struggle. His reattacks are top notch but he doesn’t generate a lot of his own shots. That may hurt him against the elite guys if he is behind and needs to score.