Jump to content
Jimmy Cinnabon

Strongest p4p college wrestler?

Recommended Posts

I realize this will be just anecdotal but who are guys who are considered the strongest p4p guys?

I know Stieber is considered insanely strong.  Brock Lesnar.  Kyle Dake.  Robles.  Who else?

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lee Kemp was known for his strength, especially his grip-strength. I knew a couple of guys who each wrestled Kemp multiple times. They both said he could grab your wrist and it was very hard to get loose. One of them said, “I’m not sure I ever got loose on my own. I think he chose to let my wrist go!”

in his prime, Don Rohn had the arms of a 158 pounder while wrestling at 138 lbs.

Lou Banach was a small heavyweight (220 lbs) but he had a history of physically dominating much larger opponents by using “strength moves” on them. 

Shorty Hitchcock was thought by many as the strongest ever PFP back in the 70s. I’ve heard stories from eyewitnesses that said he often caused opponents to scream out in pain as he slapped a bear-hug on them. He was rumored to have have once headlocked a guy and when he was pinning him, he squeezed the guys head so hard that he cracked one of his own ribs!

More recently, Tony Nelson and Jake Rosholt were both exceptionally strong.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, yonz_g said:

Nickal. If you haven't already, check out the way he turned Hokit in the second round of NCAA's; freak strength.

He doesn't look strong, either. Sometimes those guys with long, ropey muscles are really stout.

 

I've always heard the Zain Retherford was freakishly strong for his size. Also, nobody ever mentions him in conversations like this , but Jake Herbert could do 50 chinups as a 174 (or was it 184?) pounder.

Edited by TobusRex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cornercoach said:

...Lou Ferrigno is incredibly strong, and a little green .......

Not as strong as you think. Around 2001 I was in a pub in El Segundo, California. We used to occasionally get celebs in there. Anyway one day Lou walked in. After he'd settled in I walked over and asked, politely,  for his autograph. Lou refused. I asked again. Lou refused, again. Finally I told him "Lou, you are either going to give me your autograph willingly,  or I'll beat it out of your stupid, deaf ass.". Needless to say Lou was offended, and it wasn't until a well applied hip toss and headlock that he finally volunteered his autograph.

 

At least that's how I remember it...

Edited by TobusRex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, yonz_g said:

Nickal. If you haven't already, check out the way he turned Hokit in the second round of NCAA's; freak strength.

I did. That was sick how he just tossed Hokit twice. But I a not convinced that Bo is strongest as opposed to the most skilled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TobusRex said:

Not as strong as you think. Around 2001 I was in a pub in El Segundo, California. We used to occasionally get celebs in there. Anyway one day Lou walked in. After he'd settled in I walked over and asked, politely,  for his autograph. Lou refused. I asked again. Lou refused, again. Finally I told him "Lou, you are either going to give me your autograph willingly,  or I'll beat it out of your stupid, deaf ass.". Needless to say Lou was offended, and it wasn't until as well applied hip toss and headlock that he finally volunteered his autograph.

That's a great story. Did you make him cry or did you permit him to keep his dignity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NJDan said:

I did. That was sick how he just tossed Hokit twice. But I a not convinced that Bo is strongest as opposed to the most skilled.

Bo has farmboy-type strength. I bet he probably doesn't bench all that much. He's built more like Gumby than a weightlifter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, drag it said:

Kent State 197's Dustin Kilgore and Kyle Conel looked like they were incredibly strong.  

Dustin looked so strong I nearly couldn't conceive of Quentin Wright beating him, but all saw what happened in that match. The way your body looks or how much you can lift isn't going to stop correctly applied functional strength.

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is very unlikely that a heavier guy is the strongest "pound for pound."  Those guys have way more "absolute strength" but it is unlikely that even a Lesnar, a Tony Nelson, or a Banach is as strong "pound for pound" as a lighter guy.  A Whitmer, a NATO, a Molinaro is likely P4P stronger than a guy who weighs twice as much.  

If you need evidence, just check international weightlifting and powerlifting results.  The bigger guys put up more weight, but the smaller guys are able to lift way more in proportion to their bodyweight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

It is very unlikely that a heavier guy is the strongest "pound for pound."  Those guys have way more "absolute strength" but it is unlikely that even a Lesnar, a Tony Nelson, or a Banach is as strong "pound for pound" as a lighter guy.  A Whitmer, a NATO, a Molinaro is likely P4P stronger than a guy who weighs twice as much.  

If you need evidence, just check international weightlifting and powerlifting results.  The bigger guys put up more weight, but the smaller guys are able to lift way more in proportion to their bodyweight.

Totally agree. Strength can be measured in different ways as you correctly point out. 

The strongest athlete I have ever seen is a guy who literally placed his life on the line to accomplish a goal. A goal he and he alone has succeeded at because it is too frightening to even contemplate. But one man succeeded at it. That is being so physically and mentally strong you are willing to place your very life on the line. That or he is just plain crazy.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/features/athletes/alex-honnold/most-dangerous-free-solo-climb-yosemite-national-park-el-capitan/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Dustin looked so strong I nearly couldn't conceive of Quentin Wright beating him, but all saw what happened in that match. The way your body looks or how much you can lift isn't going to stop correctly applied functional strength.

Nothing like a well-executed functional underhook!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×