Jimmy Cinnabon

Strongest p4p college wrestler?

Doing rock climbing may indeed be beneficial because it offers an element of "fun," while also doing a physical activity.  The same thing with parkour.  Neither one would be better than traditional strength training for building strength, but might prove to be fun diversions for an athlete.  It was initially suggested that if Snyder had taken up parkour, it could prevent him from results like this year's yarygin.  Just as it was suggested that rock climbing would be more beneficial for wrestlers than weight training.  This isn't me being obtuse or acute.

If people want to work their "lats" and grip, there are pull up bars and a number of great hand strengthening tools. I suggest Ironmind for specific grip strengthening. Rogue has some great pull-up bars and attachments to build grip.  These devices might make more sense than climbing, because they are easier to program sets, reps, duration, frequency etc.

These links should prove beneficial.

http://ironmind.com/

https://www.roguefitness.com/bodyweight-gymnastics/rpg-pullup-system

https://www.roguefitness.com/bodyweight-gymnastics/grip

Edited by AHamilton

Long skinny guys with long arms and long fingers were a nightmare for me. Killer grips and tightwaists. And you looked foolish losing to someone who did not  "look" like a wrestler

1 hour ago, lu_alum said:

Stronger than Trenge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it.

Similarly, I was also told by an Oklahoma State upperweight that when John Smith puts his hands on you, it feels like a heavyweights hand.

8 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

I was also told by an Oklahoma State upperweight that when John Smith puts his hands on you, it feels like a heavyweights hand.

I think somebody might've been having a little fun at your expense :D

44 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I think somebody might've been having a little fun at your expense :D

No.  Because, I asked him "Is John Smith strong or is it just that he knows how to apply force/pressure?." He looked at me and said "Coach Smith is STRONG." Then continued with the previously mentioned analogy.  

This was a very well-respected wrestling person and it was a 1 on 1 conversation.  No reason to have fun at my expense.  I asked, because it was a debate my buddies and I had.  I always took the "he just knows how to apply leverage" side until this guy corrected me.

Also keep in mind, I'm the guy who said lifting is better for strength than parkour or rock climbing.  

13 hours ago, Jim L said:

Long skinny guys with long arms and long fingers were a nightmare for me. Killer grips and tightwaists. And you looked foolish losing to someone who did not  "look" like a wrestler

Then I'd be your worst nightmare.  I was a 6'3" 160 lber back in the day.  LOL

On 4/10/2019 at 12:19 PM, MSU158 said:

Look at the guy's hands.  They play a giant factor in this feat.  You could be twice as strong as this guy, but if you don't have mitts like that, you aren't climbing mountains.  Most aren't anyway, but those paws aren't normal!

Alex Honnold is the best free soloist in the world but can't do the hardest routes.  Best American rock climber in recent era was Chris Sharma.  He does not have large hands.  Theyre average and the harder the climbs get the smaller the holds get so large hands can actually be a drawback.  Sharma was built like a gymnast. 

Anyways, hands down Mark Schultz is the p4p strongest wrestler ever.  Anyone with a gymnastics background is already in contention.    

Strong hands is always a thread killer.  Most wrestling threads on strongest P4P always end up with the strong hands comment.  Mostly bull**** of course but the strong hands crowd is obsessed.  The crusher handshake in business is an instant turnoff.  

Jacob Kasper was very strong.   A 225# guy matching heavyweights in very physical style.

How soon we forget IMAR.  

The strongest wrestlers could be guys who lost in the round of 12 in NCAAs that we forget about.   Strength alone can take you a ways.  Maybe the strongest guy p4p is Daniel Lewis, or some other very good but not legendary wrestler.  Ethan Lisak?

Edited by Full Nelson

19 hours ago, AIW-HS said:

Ed Ruth supposedly had freakishly strong hands. 

I had a conversation with Buxton while Ruth was kicking ass in college. 

He said that if Ruth was able to lock his hands on any type of cradle, it was almost certain the other guy was going to his back. 

20 hours ago, Dr. Novak said:

Strong hands is always a thread killer.  Most wrestling threads on strongest P4P always end up with the strong hands comment.  Mostly bull**** of course but the strong hands crowd is obsessed.  The crusher handshake in business is an instant turnoff.  

The key to the crusher handshake is to let them know you have it in your arsenal while applying the soft handshake. It's a developed skill.

Edited by TBar1977

On 4/12/2019 at 5:58 PM, portajohn said:

Alex Honnold is the best free soloist in the world but can't do the hardest routes.  Best American rock climber in recent era was Chris Sharma.  He does not have large hands.  Theyre average and the harder the climbs get the smaller the holds get so large hands can actually be a drawback.  Sharma was built like a gymnast. 

Anyways, hands down Mark Schultz is the p4p strongest wrestler ever.  Anyone with a gymnastics background is already in contention.    

I admittedly have no clue about the intricacies of rock climbing. I just know what Hans strength with size can do for long lasting grip strength and leverage. He may not be able to wedge his hands into small crevices, but those mitts make it a lot easier to hang for a very long time without having to use other parts of the body for extended periods of time. 

I say the above because one of the training exercises I used was hanging on the pull up bar for as long as possible several times a day. I was pretty good at it but my hands and fingers were very wide but not long. That inevitably caused me problems with keeping my hands locked together. I always had really good one on one grip strength, but interlocking hands never went well for me. 

Edited by MSU158