Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Ohio State's incoming class

#1 Jacob Decatur 125

#1 Jordan Decatur 133/141

#2 Dylan D'emilio 141

#1 Greg Kerkvliet HWT

#1 Carson Kharchla 165/174

This class is STACKED.  I see Kerk and Kharchla each winning at least 3 NCAA titles.  Decatur bros will get at least 4 between the 2 of them.  If Ryan can't win another team title with this class I dunno what to say....

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

#1 Jacob Decatur 125

#1 Jordan Decatur 133/141

#2 Dylan D'emilio 141

#1 Greg Kerkvliet HWT

#1 Carson Kharchla 165/174

This class is STACKED.  I see Kerk and Kharchla each winning at least 3 NCAA titles.  Decatur bros will get at least 4 between the 2 of them.  If Ryan can't win another team title with this class I dunno what to say....

Depends on how quickly Ryan throws them out there.  As we have seen, especially with Heinselman, he likes to throw the best guy, at the weight, out there right away, regardless of if he is NCAA Tournament ready.

I think all of them really need a redshirt before stepping on the mat, except maybe Kharchla.  I know Kerkvliet is a beast, but a year getting ready for DI 285's would be huge and they have Singletary anyway.  The other 3 need a year to mature and build some man muscles.

Time will tell.  They definitely have the talent coming in to compete with anyone.

Predicting how many titles a kid will have is a little farfetched for me.....but in two years OSU's lineup has the ability to be.....

125- Heinselman

133- Jordan Decatur

141- Kinner/Vasquez

149- Sasso

157- No clue what they will do here....

165- Romero

174- Kharchla

184- Jordan

197- Hoffman

HWT- Kerkvliet

I can see Sasso bumping to 157 in a couple years to open up 149 to Kinner and have Vasquez and D'Emilio battle it out for 141. Nonetheless, this lineup is pretty stacked! LOL!

1 minute ago, MrDream said:

Predicting how many titles a kid will have is a little farfetched for me.....but in two years OSU's lineup has the ability to be.....

125- Heinselman

133- Jordan Decatur

141- Kinner/Vasquez

149- Sasso

165- Romero

174- Kharchla

184- Jordan

197- Hoffman

HWT- Kerkvliet

I can see Sasso bumping to 157 in a couple years to open up 149 to Kinner and have Vasquez and D'Emilio battle it out for 141. Nonetheless, this lineup is pretty stacked! LOL!

We will see what Jaden Mattox can do at 157

11 minutes ago, MrDream said:

125- Heinselman

133- Jordan Decatur

141- Kinner/Vasquez

149- Sasso

165- Romero

174- Kharchla

184- Jordan

197- Hoffman

HWT- Kerkvliet

That is an insanely stacked lineup.  Should win at least 1-2 team titles if everyone stays healthy

2 hours ago, MrDream said:

125- Heinselman

133- Jordan Decatur

141- Kinner/Vasquez

149- Sasso

165- Romero

174- Kharchla

184- Jordan

197- Hoffman

HWT- Kerkvliet

Vasquez? 

Few studs end up 3x-ers. Regardless of how high they are ranked. 

See: Metcalf, Schlatter, Taylor, Martin,.  I-Mar, Garrot, Megaludis, Hall, Marstellar, etc. In the big scheme of things there are not very many 3x-ers and having more than 1 on a team at a time is rare.  Nolf and Bo being one of those rare exceptions. There are way to many variables. 

1 hour ago, scramble said:

See: Metcalf, Schlatter, Taylor, Martin,.  I-Mar, Garrot, Megaludis, Hall, Marstellar, etc. In the big scheme of things there are not very many 3x-ers and having more than 1 on a team at a time is rare.  Nolf and Bo being one of those rare exceptions. There are way to many variables. 

Yes!  Tons of variables including many hard or impossible to control. Injuries. Opponents. Officiating. Growth to different weight class. Etc.

Also even if variables like this break perfectly, it's a very uncertain science predicting whether and how a high school student 18 or younger is going to continue to improve relative to competition as they mature physically and mentally over a five year period that usually involves significant change for most humans.  People peak at different ages. They're people.  

14 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Vasquez? 

Jesse Vasquez from Cali....#2 at 138. 

Last I heard he was committed to Ohio State, I don't keep up with HS/College, so if he changed his commitment or I heard it wrong, I apologize. 

9 hours ago, scramble said:

It's unrealistic to project multiple titles for almost any recruit.  

For example, here are the average # of titles won by overall recruit rank from 2005 - 2014 (using D1CW rankings, since the historical data is most easily accessible):

Avg. Titles Won by Overall Recruit Rank
#1) 1.2
#2) 0.2
#3) 0.7
#4) 0.7
#5) 0.5
#6) 0.0
#7) 0.9
#8) 0.1
#9) 0.0
#10) 0.5

Only the #1 overall recruit averages over 1 title per career, just barely at that, and the median # of titles won for every single ranking except #1 overall is 0.  

I do think it's getting a little bit easier to project success for the most elite recruits with the continued development of our international cadet and junior programs, but it's far from a perfect science.  

13 minutes ago, MrDream said:

Jesse Vasquez from Cali....#2 at 138. 

Last I heard he was committed to Ohio State, I don't keep up with HS/College, so if he changed his commitment or I heard it wrong, I apologize. 

There was some confusion about that--he only announced Ohio State as one of his top destinations, not an actual verbal commit.  I think he projects to be bigger than 141 as well.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2

48 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

There was some confusion about that--he only announced Ohio State as one of his top destinations, not an actual verbal commit.  I think he projects to be bigger than 141 as well.  

My bad on that. If he does project to be bigger than 141 than that could be almost perfect if he does go to OSU, slot in right away at 157. 

2 minutes ago, MrDream said:

My bad on that. If he does project to be bigger than 141 than that could be almost perfect if he does go to OSU, slot in right away at 157. 

I think Mattox will be a quality wrestler at that spot, but given that there are a lot of questions about him it does make sense to bring in Vasquez as a contingency, and there are only two years of overlap there.  

18 hours ago, MrDream said:

125- Heinselman

133- Jordan Decatur

141- Kinner/Vasquez

149- Sasso

165- Romero

174- Kharchla

184- Jordan

197- Hoffman

HWT- Kerkvliet

My two cents on this potential lineup (in my realistic homerism):

125:  Malik has the skill set to make the podium.  From his feet, he definitely appears to be lethal.  But, he's currently way too small, and needs to get on NaTo's lifting plan pronto.

133:  Jordan Decatur:  I think he has the skill set to podium as well.  However, I'm suspect of his tank. I've seen him absolutely dominate first periods against the nation's top competition, only to gas out and lose.  I know that tOSU's room can fix that, but, it's only going to be if he's willing.  If not... I'm more than concerned.

141:  Kinner:  I honestly think a podium appearance is in his future.  He had a very solid RS season, beating some decent competition, and hanging tough in his 2 losses (I think it was 2).  I think D'emilio has the abilities to push Kinner as well, and they will make each other better (kind of like how Verk and Berge do at PSU).

149:  Sasso:  I see him winning a NC while at tOSU.  Possibly more than one.  The Sasso I saw at Dave Schultz (yes, different styles, I know), and watched at Midlands is REALLY REALLY REALLY tough.  He has wins over current AA's in his RS season.  And they weren't fluke wins.  This guy is gonna be good.  How good remains to be seen.

157:  Everyone is saying Jaden Mattox, so I'll run with it.  I'm hesitant to predict anything other than NQ at this point.  I haven't seen enough results at this level, but it appears that the "insiders" think he has podium potential.

165:  Romero:  This one's an enigma.  His ceiling is sky high.  This past season, he appeared to have some confidence issues.  Kaleb.  Be you.  Bring it.  Trust your body, trust your skill set.  When you do, you WILL be a force.  When you don't, you may never start again.

174:  Kharchla:  Everyone's on his bandwagon.  I get why.  I am too.  But... I'm going to initially be conservative and say that he's a definite AA threat.  Is he National Championship level?  Potentially, but there is still much to prove, and his best wins are still against (to my knowledge) other kids his age.

184:  Jordan:  If it's Rocky, then R-Jo should do alright.  I think he will need to make a jump in order to truly be competitive at D1 Collegiate level though.  However, training with Kharchla, Hoffman, MyMar, Moore, his brothers will either a.) Make him better, or b.) destroy his confidence.  I'll take A.

197:  Hoffman:  I see AA potential, if not NC potential, written all over this kid.  

285:  Kerkvliet:  I think his upside potential may be higher than Gable Steveson.  I know.  Call me crazy.  I probably am.  But... if Kerk gets on the Kyle Snyder lifting plan, he could look like Karelin, and wrestle like Taylor.