Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Is Anthony Cassar the least likely champ, ever?

1x state champ, not starting in college at 197, bumping to heavy and taking out the anointed "next 4x champ" in Gable Steveson not once, but twice...to majoring Derek "Bulk Job" White 10-1 in the finals?  All while weighing 60 pounds under the max weight limit?

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Dale Lewis NEVER WRESTLED before College was a 2 time NCAA Champion.  Huge credit to the Coaches to take a kid from Scratch Champion, it seems most NCAA Champions were 3-4 time State Champions with well over 100 High School wins (Some closer to 200) and you can count their losses on one hand and have fingers left over (0-4 losses total), Many started at age 5-8,  I guess the one thing Lewis had going with starting in College, he had extremely good coaching from the beginning.  Also I don't know if he was an NCAA Champion, but didn't Bob Roop (Who Represented the USA in the Olympics)  I heard he was like Zero wins and 30 losses in the 10th Grade?   Also I heard Myron Roderick lost most of his matches in 10th grade, many by pin and then he won 2 State Titles (Kansas I think)  Then he won 3 NCAA Titles.

Edited by dougb

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

1x state champ, not starting in college at 197, bumping to heavy and taking out the anointed "next 4x champ" in Gable Steveson not once, but twice...to majoring Derek "Bulk Job" White 10-1 in the finals?  All while weighing 60 pounds under the max weight limit?

Not even this year. Foster was a 6th seed in a bracket that everyone just assumed Martin would win. He also never won a state title in high school. Only his parents predicted this guy would ever win a NCAA title.

4 hours ago, dougb said:

Dale Lewis NEVER WRESTLED before College was a 2 time NCAA Champion.  Huge credit to the Coaches to take a kid from Scratch Champion, it seems most NCAA Champions were 3-4 time State Champions with well over 100 High School wins (Some closer to 200) and you can count their losses on one hand and have fingers left over (0-4 losses total), Many started at age 5-8,  I guess the one thing Lewis had going with starting in College, he had extremely good coaching from the beginning.  Also I don't know if he was an NCAA Champion, but didn't Bob Roop (Who Represented the USA in the Olympics)  I heard he was like Zero wins and 30 losses in the 10th Grade?   Also I heard Myron Roderick lost most of his matches in 10th grade, many by pin and then he won 2 State Titles (Kansas I think)  Then he won 3 NCAA Titles.

I never heard about Myron Roderick EVER losing lots of matches. Guy was the Gable before Gable.

27 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

#3 seed the "least likely champ"?

Nope. Not only that but the "60 pounds under the weight limit" comment is hyperbole, I heard Cassar weighed in at 229 at Nationals.

Are you talking about Lee, Suriano or Valencia?

34 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Nope. Not only that but the "60 pounds under the weight limit" comment is hyperbole, I heard Cassar weighed in at 229 at Nationals.

So he was 56 pounds under the limit instead of 60?  Not a real big difference to be called hyperbole...

4 hours ago, russelscout said:

Not even this year. Foster was a 6th seed in a bracket that everyone just assumed Martin would win. He also never won a state title in high school. Only his parents predicted this guy would ever win a NCAA title.

Yep, perfect and timely example of a better candidate.  

Cassar is certainly an impressive story but he doesn't feel much like an all time Cinderella. Even Jesse Whitmer, though also on a powerhouse team, seems like a much better example.  Undersized guy, first NCAA, 6 seed I think, not Big 10 champ, had an Achilles heel all year (bottom) that he had to overcome, etc.

46 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Even more so, wasn't Cassar the 2 not the 3? 

19 minutes ago, drag it said:

Even more so, wasn't Cassar the 2 not the 3? 

Yes, which was the point of my quote asking if he was speaking of #3 Lee, Suriano or Valencia.

50 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Yes, which was the point of my quote asking if he was speaking of #3 Lee, Suriano or Valencia.

Hadn't gotten down to yours when I posted, though, to be honest, the subtlety of yours might have just sailed over my head anyway.  :) 

Anthony Cassar is an interesting story because of the fact that he missed so many years to injury. On top of that, he took the spot of a 2X AA, who probably would have made the finals this year if he was the starter. I think people aren't giving Cassar enough credit. Yes, he was the 2 seed, and beat Gable two weeks before but in a lot of ways I don't think it is out of the possibility to have him and Foster sharing the spot for least likely this year.

On a somewhat side note, perhaps Flo is starting to create a title curse

CP says MyMar is not going to lose, or be touched...he loses

CP and the guys say Gable is not going to lose...he loses twice

Nomad says Zahid will never lose to Mark, he loses after that prediciton, and has a very close title match.

Obviously it is just irony and it shows no one is unbeatable, especially at this level. 

Edited by gopher_fan_90

11 minutes ago, gopher_fan_90 said:

Anthony Cassar is an interesting story because of the fact that he missed so many years to injury. On top of that, he took the spot of a 2X AA, who probably would have made the finals this year if he was the starter. I think people aren't giving Cassar enough credit. Yes, he was the 2 seed, and beat Gable two weeks before but in a lot of ways I don't think it is out of the possibility to have him and Foster sharing the spot for least likely this year.

On a somewhat side note, perhaps Flo is starting to create a title curse

CP says MyMar is not going to lose, or be touched...he loses

CP and the guys say Gable is not going to lose...he loses twice

Nomad says Zahid will never lose to Mark, he loses after that prediciton, and has a very close title match.

Obviously it is just irony and it shows no one is unbeatable, especially at this level. 

I don't think you know what irony means.