Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Is Anthony Cassar the least likely champ, ever?

"Least likely ever" is probably a stretch but I think it honestly could be up there.   From the injuries to being a backup last year to beating the next "possible 4x NCAA champ" not once but twice to avenging his only loss of the season in the finals, it is pretty incredible frankly.

For his sake I kinda hope he doesn't come back next year, it's going to be tough to top that.   The only made it to HS states once and won it, and only wrestled at NCAA's once and won it angle is pretty cool too.

Edit: I'd definitely rank him over Foster in terms of the overall unlikelihood.   Foster really just benefitted from Martin taking a bad loss to Dean which happens.   The overall circumstances surrounding Cassar make him more unlikely IMO.

Edited by 1032004

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Edit: I'd definitely rank him over Foster in terms of the overall unlikelihood.   Foster really just benefitted from Martin taking a bad loss to Dean which happens.   The overall circumstances surrounding Cassar make him more unlikely IMO.

doesn't that confirm that foster was less likely to win? 

1 hour ago, GockeS said:

doesn't that confirm that foster was less likely to win? 

If you're just looking at the NCAA tournament, Martin was probably a bigger favorite so him not winning is more of a surprise than Gable not winning, but Foster himself didn't really beat anyone that was a surprise (Dean and Zavatsky were the only 2 guys seeded ahead of him that he wrestled and he beat Zavatsky twice this year and had beaten Dean last year).   The fact that Cassar had to first beat his teammate who was a possible finalist, then had to beat Gable for the second consecutive time, then beat the #1 seed who had already beaten him earlier in the year, makes Cassar's season as whole less likely IMO.

9 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

If you're just looking at the NCAA tournament, Martin was probably a bigger favorite so him not winning is more of a surprise than Gable not winning, but Foster himself didn't really beat anyone that was a surprise (Dean and Zavatsky were the only 2 guys seeded ahead of him that he wrestled and he beat Zavatsky twice this year and had beaten Dean last year).   The fact that Cassar had to first beat his teammate who was a possible finalist, then had to beat Gable for the second consecutive time, then beat the #1 seed who had already beaten him earlier in the year, makes Cassar's season as whole less likely IMO.

What about Barry Davis?  Gable found him buying doughnuts right before B1G, kidnapped him in the nick of time, and forced him to cut weight.  

59 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

jan 1, who had a better shot of winning?

Ya put Cassars body of work into motion over his years at PSU, and yeah, maybe, he is in the conversation.  Given that Gable S was anointed by many, plus his national and global standing accolades, he was destined  to be the next great NCAA Messiah at 285 that which a Healthy and fit Cassar narrowly edged him, is huge point to Cassar.

Wont give an argument about Moore, he came out of nowhere to cradle Lang all night long.

5 hours ago, jchapman said:

What about Barry Davis?  Gable found him buying doughnuts right before B1G, kidnapped him in the nick of time, and forced him to cut weight.  

LOL..Barry Davis. That guy was such a whacko. Remember when he got so agitated that the NCAA tourney officials made him stand in the hallway? 

47 minutes ago, GockeS said:

who had heard of foster before the semis?

I knew who he was. He was a solid wrestler every year, and I'm pretty sure he was a low AA a couple years before. In fact he's one of those guys, like Ashnault, who seemed like he was in college for a long, long time. But I thought Martin was going to run away with 184.

Edited by TobusRex

1 hour ago, jysupert said:

Wont give an argument about Moore, he came out of nowhere to cradle Lang all night long.

That year Lang was destroying people. He was a Metcalf-level favorite (aka; HUGE favorite) over Moore, despite Moore's undefeated record. Man that was a beatdown.

As reflected in the comments above, this all depends on what point of time you evaluate the candidate.  If it's after their junior year of high school, probably Cassar. After freshman year of college, Foster.  After his redshirt sophomore year, Cassar. After last year, Foster (Cassar didn't wrestle at NCAAs but he had beaten Moore in his one big time shot). This year before Martin lost, Foster.  Before the finals, about equal. 

And on the day before Big Tens, when he was 25 pounds over and wandering the streets of Iowa City looking for an open grocery store, Barry Davis.  

7 minutes ago, drag it said:

As reflected in the comments above, this all depends on what point of time you evaluate the candidate.  If it's after their junior year of high school, probably Cassar. After freshman year of college, Foster.  After his redshirt sophomore year, Cassar. After last year, Foster (Cassar didn't wrestle at NCAAs but he had beaten Moore in his one big time shot). This year before Martin lost, Foster.  Before the finals, about equal. 

And on the day before Big Tens, when he was 25 pounds over and wandering the streets of Iowa City looking for an open grocery store, Barry Davis.  

Actually Cassar would've likely placed higher than Rasheed at NCAAs last year, at least that was the consensus of a strong contingent of fans on this forum. Rasheed won the ranking match and generally showed more offense (lots of people thought he'd score more bonus points than Cassar would at NCAAs), but Cassar had the better resume by a country mile thanks to his win over Moore.

That's part of the reason that I don't think Cassar's championship is super surprising, because he probably would've AA'd last year.

Edited by TobusRex

8 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Actually Cassar would've likely placed higher than Rasheed at NCAAs last year, at least that was the consensus of a strong contingent of fans on this forum. Rasheed won the ranking match and generally showed more offense (lots of people thought he'd score more bonus points than Cassar would at NCAAs), but Cassar had the better resume by a country mile thanks to his win over Moore.

That's part of the reason that I don't think Cassar's championship is super surprising, because he probably would've AA'd last year.

Count me in on that consensus.  Cassar beat last year's 1 seed in his main shot at competition last year, and then was ranked high most of this year.  

14 hours ago, GockeS said:

who had heard of foster before the semis?

You are joking right?? Foster placed 7th two years ago beating Zavatsky, Macchiavelo, Nate Jackson and only losing to Myles Martin 8-6. Last year he was the 8 seed and his losses came to Max Dean and Parker. Foster has been very solid for 3 years. 

Although Cassar did have the big win over Moore.  But he lost to Garrett Hoffman last year. I repeat he lost to Garrett Hoffman. Along with Holshlag and he lost his wrestle off to a guy that didn’t AA this year at 184. 

While Foster was placing two years Cassar wasn’t on the team. Many thought he was done. If we are just talking about this year than yeah Foster is a more unlikely champ. But at any other point in college it’s Cassar by far. 

Edited by Regulator

4 minutes ago, Regulator said:

You are joking right?? Foster placed 7th two years ago beating Zavatsky, Macchiavelo, Nate Jackson and only losing to Myles Martin 8-6. Last year he was the 8 seed and his losses came to Max Dean and Parker. Foster has been very solid for 3 years. 

Although Cassar did have the big win over Moore.  But he lost to Garrett Hoffman last year. I repeat he lost to Garrett Hoffman. Along with Holshlag and he lost his wrestle off to a guy that didn’t AA this year at 184. 

While Foster was placing two years Cassar wasn’t on the team. Many thought he was done. If we are just talking about this year than yeah Foster is a more unlikely champ. But at any other point in college it’s Cassar by far. 

Did Cassar actually wrestle off Shakur, and lose?  I thought it was a coaches decision to enter Shakur in the postseason.

At any point now you all can stop replying to Jimmy, he clearly trolls and intentionally posts controversial, misleading or flat out incorrect information to get a reaction out of everyone.  Yet regular posters keep falling for his shtick over and over.  Put him on ignore, heck even discuss a topic he starts - but for the love of God stop replying to him or his points specifically.  They are works of fiction by someone who clearly chooses not to engage in legit conversation, stop letting him poison the discussion.   Have a conversation around him, but don't make him or his trolling the conversation. 

29 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Did Cassar actually wrestle off Shakur, and lose?  I thought it was a coaches decision to enter Shakur in the postseason.

From what I heard he lost 2 wrestle offs to Shakur. From memory the last one was like 7-3 or 6-3.