Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Is Anthony Cassar the least likely champ, ever?

58 minutes ago, Regulator said:

You are joking right?? Foster placed 7th two years ago beating Zavatsky, Macchiavelo, Nate Jackson and only losing to Myles Martin 8-6. Last year he was the 8 seed and his losses came to Max Dean and Parker. Foster has been very solid for 3 years. 

Although Cassar did have the big win over Moore.  But he lost to Garrett Hoffman last year. I repeat he lost to Garrett Hoffman. Along with Holshlag and he lost his wrestle off to a guy that didn’t AA this year at 184. 

While Foster was placing two years Cassar wasn’t on the team. Many thought he was done. If we are just talking about this year than yeah Foster is a more unlikely champ. But at any other point in college it’s Cassar by far. 

yes, i agree. but who had him in the finals?

cassar had beaten the top guy at BiG and was the buzz of the two weeks between.

most didn't believe, being the 2-3 with steveson, but i think all saw the chance.

was anyone talking about foster that way? 

I knew about Foster for years, and followed him. but i never gave him a chance of even being in the final.

Edited by GockeS

11 minutes ago, GockeS said:

most didn't believe, being the 2-3 with steveson, but i think all saw the chance.

I knew about Foster for years, and followed him. but i never gave him a chance of even being in the final.

I had him in the semis, being he had beat Zavatsky many times. Just felt you were not giving Foster his due, kid is a beast  

But yeah I agree with this year. I took this thread as prior to this year, not as prior to the NCAA tournament. Cassar obviously had a great year and had a far greater chance to win NCAAs leading up to the tournament. 

1 hour ago, GockeS said:

I'm sure there were people that had him in the finals since he had beaten Zavatsky twice and a lot of people weren't high on Rasheed.   But I'm sure no one outside of Northern Iowa and whatever town he's from if it's not in Northern Iowa had him winning.

14 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I'm sure there were people that had him in the finals since he had beaten Zavatsky twice and a lot of people weren't high on Rasheed.   But I'm sure no one outside of Northern Iowa and whatever town he's from if it's not in Northern Iowa had him winning.

Just an FYI, he is listed as being from Burlington, IA but went to school in Mediapolis which is quite a bit smaller. Maybe a farm kid. Their team was very good when he was there, and I believe they won a state title. He was not even the best kid on his high school team at the time. 

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Just an FYI, he is listed as being from Burlington, IA but went to school in Mediapolis which is quite a bit smaller. Maybe a farm kid. Their team was very good when he was there, and I believe they won a state title. He was not even the best kid on his high school team at the time. 

I knew he was from Iowa, just not sure if he was from “Northern” Iowa and didn’t feel like google mapping it.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

As I offered above it all goes back to what point in time you are measuring the expectations.

Before this year's tournament, an obvious indicator is the Intermat pick 'em contest, where 380 picked Cassar to win while 0 picked Foster.

If you compared expectations before senior year of high school, amomg other times, it would be different. 

Guys. Heavyweights wasn’t deep this year. Cassar didn’t beat a single returning AA in his way to the title. 

The reason everyone was picking Gable, even in the preseason, was because of how weak the weight was. Any year in the last decade or more, Gable wouldn’t have been the favorite. It was the perfect mash up of one of the best high schoolers ever being a TF in the weakest heavyweight field in a decade and without a returning finalist. 

Cassar is very impressive and his story is neat, but come on. 

7 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Guys. Heavyweights wasn’t deep this year. Cassar didn’t beat a single returning AA in his way to the title. 

The reason everyone was picking Gable, even in the preseason, was because of how weak the weight was. Any year in the last decade or more, Gable wouldn’t have been the favorite. It was the perfect mash up of one of the best high schoolers ever being a TF in the weakest heavyweight field in a decade and without a returning finalist. 

Cassar is very impressive and his story is neat, but come on. 

This isn’t really a fair statement on multiple levels:

1.  Cassar did beat a returning AA: Nevills.  There were 2 others at NCAA’s: Dhesi and Stoll - Dhesi finished 5th (lower than last year and was majored by Gable), and as we all know Stoll was lucky he even qualified.

2.  5 of the last 10 years have been Snyder and Gwiz, but given Gable’s freestyle result against Nelson despite being like 7 years younger, I think it’s reasonable to think Gable could have beaten him if they were both in college at the same time.

13 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

This isn’t really a fair statement on multiple levels:

1.  Cassar did beat a returning AA: Nevills.  There were 2 others at NCAA’s: Dhesi and Stoll - Dhesi finished 5th (lower than last year and was majored by Gable), and as we all know Stoll was lucky he even qualified.

2.  5 of the last 10 years have been Snyder and Gwiz, but given Gable’s freestyle result against Nelson despite being like 7 years younger, I think it’s reasonable to think Gable could have beaten him if they were both in college at the same time.

1.Wrestling fans often talk about busted brackets, path etc. who you best absolutely matters when comparing results. In fact, I’m high school they don’t take placements into account nearly as much as head to head. 

2. I’m the junior world medals are super important guy. Freestyle can translate, but this claim isn’t a fair comparison, especially at heavyweight. Gable is a true freshman heavyweight and lost partially because of his bottom game. In freestyle he would beat Cassar and everyone else in that field. 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

1.Wrestling fans often talk about busted brackets, path etc. who you best absolutely matters when comparing results. In fact, I’m high school they don’t take placements into account nearly as much as head to head. 

2. I’m the junior world medals are super important guy. Freestyle can translate, but this claim isn’t a fair comparison, especially at heavyweight. Gable is a true freshman heavyweight and lost partially because of his bottom game. In freestyle he would beat Cassar and everyone else in that field. 

1.  Sure but he did have to beat a returning AA just to get in the lineup.  And he beat Steveson (for the second time) when some (including Gable himself) were saying he could be the next 4-time undefeated champ.  And Steveson majored the highest returning placer.

2.  I agree, was more calling out the age differential now, so taking that into consideration I wouldn’t necessarily say Nelson would be favored over Gable if they  were in college at the same time.

23 hours ago, Housebuye said:

So would you say who Foster beat at NCAA’s was better than who Cassar beat?

Not even close. He was hitting double legs on everyone and their parents this year, lost to Derek White just because he wasn't attacking, and won Big 10 defeating Gable.

Drew Foster on the other hand was a much least likely champ this season.