TheOhioState

Wrestlers that could do a big number of pull-ups at one time

There are all kind of pullups, and there are pullups and chinups....some people have different definitions....some people count their's but don't go all the way up and all the way down.  I once had a wrestler who did 53 chinups, and 2 days later came back and did 53 pullups (ALL THE WAY UP AND ALL THE  WAY DOWN).  He was a 2 X State Champion.

Edited by fadzaev2

9 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Pullups are biased towards little guys. That's why Jake Herbert's 50 pullups impresses me a lot more than Robles 62.

I recall the Northwestern heavyweight's dad (who used to post on here) said they were more of the Crossfit variety (i.e. not dead hang), but still impressive.

In Flo’s tOSU feature a few years ago, they had some footage of a board that logged every team member’s performance on various fitness tests, including pull-ups. I remember being surprised that Logan Stieber had the fastest mile (I would’ve bet on Dijulius) and that Bojo had the most pull-ups (I would’ve bet on NATO). I think it was over 60 pull-ups, and they emphasized on the video they were “real” pull-ups. 

18 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

In Flo’s tOSU feature a few years ago, they had some footage of a board that logged every team member’s performance on various fitness tests, including pull-ups. I remember being surprised that Logan Stieber had the fastest mile (I would’ve bet on Dijulius) and that Bojo had the most pull-ups (I would’ve bet on NATO). I think it was over 60 pull-ups, and they emphasized on the video they were “real” pull-ups. 

Nothing is more gospel than a record board in a weight room.

Anything over 30 real pullups is damn impressive, imho.  When I see numbers over 50, I get really really skeptical.

Byron Tucker, NCAA champ and one of my favorite coaches, always said you were strong/conditioned enough upper body to win NCAAs if you could do 10 sets of 10 with only one minute breaks. It isn't easy.

9 hours ago, D3UC157 said:

Silly me, I thought every wrestler(under 184 maybe?) could do 30+ pull ups.

I would think this is certainly true. I could do 25 when I was over 50 and have never been close to the fitness of a D1 wrestler.

I had a lot of experience training myself and others to do pull-ups in the Marine Corps. 

We focused on doing perfect straight up-and-down, dead-hang, full-lockout reps. I’m talking about the complete opposite of what one sees on most CrossFit videos!

I rarely saw anyone who could do more than 25 or so perfect reps. Very strong guys suited for pull-ups (big arms and lighter, gymnast-type bodies) were the ones who could set records. I’ve personally seen a few do 80 or more perfect reps. 

I knew lots of very strong, jacked Marines who weren’t all that good at pull-ups, likely do to their >200 lbs  bodies or very long arms that put them at a disadvantage for this specific exercise.  We viewed pull-ups as a good indicator of one’s upper body strength, but recognized that many very big, strong guys just weren’t good at them.

The main reason why most people hit the wall on pull-ups is that their grip-strength (hands and forearms) gives out before their biceps and lats. In almost every case I’ve observed, someone who focused on increasing grip strength typically increased the number of perfect pull-ups they could do by at least several reps.

Its a great exercise and I think there should be a pull-up bar over the doorway of every public school classroom in America!