Idaho

Your Team’s 19/20 Probable Lineup

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

Yes he got it ...he's good now.... so on to the probable lineups.... transfers starting to pop up now that will change some of these lineups. 

Don Brown the Michigan football DC had a good take on the transfer portal (IMO). The old process allowed for problems to be worked out and coaches and players to have to meet, work through a problem, etc. Now the portal just allows a kid to transfer if a coach rides him too hard. There is of course the other side.  Regardless, transfers now are a big part of every NCAA sport and will effect lineups. 

This being understood I would think that B1G schools would be prevalent in landing the higher percentage if them, right?

The most prestigious conference and all. Several teams much improved needing a bump at a position or two and great facilities pretty much down the line.

Indiana and Michigan state made what I would consider great improvements last season throughout the year and from the previous season too. Any chance either of them takes a senior or two in looking for one more ride?

Who is all in the portal as of now?

11 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

This being understood I would think that B1G schools would be prevalent in landing the higher percentage if them, right?

The most prestigious conference and all. Several teams much improved needing a bump at a position or two and great facilities pretty much down the line.

Indiana and Michigan state made what I would consider great improvements last season throughout the year and from the previous season too. Any chance either of them takes a senior or two in looking for one more ride?

IMO  - from the team perspective the portal will help teams who need to fill a gap in the lineup by being able to pluck kids from the portal who have developed by a smaller schools (wrestling wise). From a wrestler perspective it gives those who are tough but can't get into the starting lineup to go somewhere else where they can get into the starting lineup. It will be interesting to see in a couple years when there is a larger sample size to see if the rich get richer from this. 

On 4/15/2019 at 5:04 PM, Creek chub said:

I have no first hand knowledge but would say it’s a possibility. There was speculation on VT’s board that mehki wanted 165 last year. Not sure if there was an official wrestle off but Lewis took DMF to the wire his true freshman year. 

Per the VT wrestling Instagram story the other day with McFadden answering fan questions I don't think they switch. He talked about how going up to 174 was harder than he expected but he got used to it more as the year went along and how he was focused on getting stronger to make 174 easier next year. 

They could switch of course if Lewis grows out of 165 but from the way both have talked so far this spring it seems like they are staying put. 

On 4/15/2019 at 3:42 PM, Creek chub said:

VT

125 - Prata/Latona

133 - Myers/Giradi

141 - M Moore / Giradi

149 - B Moore

157 - BC Mullet LaPrade

165 - Lewis

174 - DMF

184 - Bolen

197 - Howard/Smeltzer

Hvy - Borst

A solid dual team with 5-6 AA and 2 NC candidates 

I think that looks pretty spot on.

125-Latona (Gut feeling says he wins the job based on his experience in the room already): National Qualifier

133-Myers (I like Myers here as the RS Senior but it would not shock me to see Gerardi beat him out): R12

141-M. Moore: R12

149- B. Moore (Bryce Andonian redshirts): National Qualifier

157- BC Laprade (Dan Mancini redshirts): R12

165- Mekhi Lewis (Connor Brady redshirts): National Title contender

174-McFadden:Top 4

184-Bolen:AA

197-Howard (just beats out Smeltzer): National Qualifier

285-Borst: National Qualifier

I think 3 AA's definite if healthy with a chance for 4-6 based on improvement and draws for Moore, Myers/Gerardi, and Laprade. Im most excited to see Cody Howard and Sam Latona and see how they do. Also for the three redshirts...all have promising futures. 

29 minutes ago, VAtoSC said:

Per the VT wrestling Instagram story the other day with McFadden answering fan questions I don't think they switch. He talked about how going up to 174 was harder than he expected but he got used to it more as the year went along and how he was focused on getting stronger to make 174 easier next year. 

They could switch of course if Lewis grows out of 165 but from the way both have talked so far this spring it seems like they are staying put. 

Admittedly my desire for it is selfish.

I want to see him in the mix with next year's super frosh in Hidlay.

Can you think of a potential top 6 stronger than Hall, Valencia(Zahid), Amine, Kemerererrr, Lewis(Mehki), and Hidlay(whom I expect to duplicate his brother's RS-FR success regardless of who is here).

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Admittedly my desire for it is selfish.

I want to see him in the mix with next year's super frosh in Hidlay.

Can you think of a potential top 6 stronger than Hall, Valencia(Zahid), Amine, Kemerererrr, Lewis(Mehki), and Hidlay(whom I expect to duplicate his brother's RS-FR success regardless of who is here).

That would be a very strong group at 174. 4 National Titles between Valencia, Hall and Lewis. Could potentially happen but I wouldn't bet on it. Think its more likely that Lewis stays at 165, and Valencia goes up to 184. 

52 minutes ago, VAtoSC said:

That would be a very strong group at 174. 4 National Titles between Valencia, Hall and Lewis. Could potentially happen but I wouldn't bet on it. Think its more likely that Lewis stays at 165, and Valencia goes up to 184. 

I agree with both of those projections.

I don't want it to be so, but it likely will be.

Does anyone want to take a swing at Fresno State’s lineup for next year? I don’t know much about the team, but it looks like they’ll have pretty much the full roster returning plus we’ll get to see Justin Mejia and Adam Kemp suit up, as well as Jesse Delgado’s brother, Nevills, the Hokit brothers, Olivas, Parco, Nikko Reyes’ brother... I’m not sure who else or who will have to move weights to optimize the lineup, but it looks like Fresno St. will be a fun team to watch.

10 minutes ago, pamela said:

Does anyone want to take a swing at Fresno State’s lineup for next year? I don’t know much about the team, but it looks like they’ll have pretty much the full roster returning plus we’ll get to see Justin Mejia and Adam Kemp suit up, as well as Jesse Delgado’s brother, Nevills, the Hokit brothers, Olivas, Parco, Nikko Reyes’ brother... I’m not sure who else or who will have to move weights to optimize the lineup, but it looks like Fresno St. will be a fun team to watch.

I'm guessing itd he something like this

125: Justin Mejia (RSFR)

133: Gary Joint (RSSO)

141: Durbin Loren (RSJR) or Chris Deloza (JR)

149: Khristian Olivas (RSSR)

157: Jacob Wright (RSSO)

165: Isaiah Hokit (RSSR) or Adam Kemp (RSFR)

174: Dominic Kincaid (RSSR)

184: Jackson Hemaur (RSSO)

197: Josh Hokit (RSSR)

HWT: AJ Nevills (RSJR)

14 minutes ago, TheJimReaper said:

I'm guessing itd he something like this

125: Justin Mejia (RSFR)

133: Gary Joint (RSSO)

141: Durbin Loren (RSJR) or Chris Deloza (JR)

149: Khristian Olivas (RSSR)

157: Jacob Wright (RSSO)

165: Isaiah Hokit (RSSR) or Adam Kemp (RSFR)

174: Dominic Kincaid (RSSR)

184: Jackson Hemaur (RSSO)

197: Josh Hokit (RSSR)

HWT: AJ Nevills (RSJR)

Thanks! Do you think either Mejia or Joey Delgado will go 133 to make room for each other in the lineup? I thought Delgado was supposed to be pretty good. I think Mejia could be the next Ronnie Bresser our west and be a real tournament landmine, and then some, esp training with Joe Colon. 

I thought maybe Oguin could crack the lineup but Fresno State seems big on RS first year guys, so idk.

19 hours ago, Juanma25 said:

Any idea where Raimo might be heading if not ASU?

I’d have to guess a lower division. He isn’t going to ASU because of grades I believe. I’m an ASU fan but they don’t have the highest admission standards. 

I hope he takes the Isaiah white Route - go to a top D2 (or njcca) program for a year, focus on getting the gpa up while getting used to college wrestling and then transfer to ASU or any other D1 program. 

18 hours ago, pamela said:

Thanks! Do you think either Mejia or Joey Delgado will go 133 to make room for each other in the lineup? I thought Delgado was supposed to be pretty good. I think Mejia could be the next Ronnie Bresser our west and be a real tournament landmine, and then some, esp training with Joe Colon. 

I thought maybe Oguin could crack the lineup but Fresno State seems big on RS first year guys, so idk.

I honestly think Mejia won’t do much in the D1 level but hopefully he proves to be better than that. Would be great for Fresno state to take one of the most credentialed high school California wrestlers in history to the podium. 

Oregon state picking up a few transfers that will help the lineup at 149 and 174. Lane Stigall - started at Missouri at 157 the first few matches after beating out Jacques. Abner Romero an old Dominion then Fresno City transfer at 174.  Has beat some tough kids in his redshirt and freshman season. 

11 hours ago, Idaho said:

Oregon state picking up a few transfers that will help the lineup at 149 and 174. Lane Stigall - started at Missouri at 157 the first few matches after beating out Jacques. Abner Romero an old Dominion then Fresno City transfer at 174.  Has beat some tough kids in his redshirt and freshman season. 

Transfer portal working as intended.  

Has anyone given UNC or NC State a go?

North Carolina had a few solid freshman 197lbers this year. They pulled Whitman's shirt and he had a rough end, but always fought.

Trombley stayed on shirt for NC State. He is behind Wilson at 133, though.

Both of them have made strong runs at Juniors today and are in the semis. Whitman has beaten Wilton of Michigan State, who I believe will be a R12-R16 type guy next season. Trombley beat Decatur, who Ohio State will be counting on for a few AA campaigns from as well.

Does Whitman hold the fort at 197? Does he shirt and let one of the others take their lumps next year(Whitman has the most able body).

Does Wilson go up to 141 and clear the way for Trombley at 133 next year?

On 4/13/2019 at 1:56 PM, nhs67 said:

125) MATTIN (JR) OR ASSAD (RS-SR) NQ
133) MICIC (RS-SR) CONTENDER
141) STORR (RS-JR) AA
149) FREEMAN (RS-SO) OR LAMANTIA (RS-SR) NQ
157) LEWAN (RS-FR) R12
165) MASSA (RS-SR) AA
174) AMINE (RS-SR) AA
184) EMBREE (RS-SO) NQ
197) STRIGGOW (RS-SR) OR DAVISON (RS-SO) NQ
285) PARRIS (SO) R12

OR

125) MICIC (RS-SR) CONTENDER
133) SILVA (RS-FR) AA
141) STORR (RS-JR) AA
149) FREEMAN (RS-SO) R12
157) LEWAN (RS-FR) R12
165) AMINE (RS-SR) CONTENDER
174) MASSA (RS-SR) AA
184) EMBREE (RS-SO) R12
197) STRIGGOW (RS-SR) or DAVISON (RS-SO) NQ
285) PARRIS (SO) AA

Here's a though I made myself thing after posting on the subject in a different thread.

Amine went 86kg(or 189lbs) for Euros.

What if UofM rolled out a bump-heavy lineup.

157) Amine/Lewan

165) Amine/Lewan

174) Massa

184) Amine

197) Embree/Striggow

285) Parris

I think in that scenario we may just see Embree and Amine swap weights for the season with Massa at 165, Lewan at 157, and the youngest Amine redshirting.

On 4/27/2019 at 4:05 PM, nhs67 said:

As a follow-up to that... NC State looks potentially scary. And young.

Hidlay looks amazing at 86.

Him at 197(from 174-wow) or does Reenan make the bump to 197 from 184?

Or do one of the Bullard bros sit?

Camacho at 125 is gonna wreck some ranked guys next year. I watched him in the freshman division at the hokie open and he was blitzing guys. And yeah the other hidlay is really good. He gave DMF all he could handle at either the scuffle or midlands, I can’t remember which one tho 

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Here's a though I made myself thing after posting on the subject in a different thread.

157) Amine/Lewan

165) Amine/Lewan

174) Massa

184) Amine

197) Embree/Striggow

285) Parris

I think in that scenario we may just see Embree and Amine swap weights for the season with Massa at 165, Lewan at 157, and the youngest Amine redshirting.

What's the deal with Van Anrooy? Ever gonna get in the lineup?

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

157) Amine/Lewan

165) Amine/Lewan

174) Massa

184) Amine

197) Embree/Striggow

285) Parris

I don't think this would make the team better. First, Cam Amine wrestled 152 this year, I think next year he could go 149, maybe 157, way to small for 165. Massa doesn't look big at 165 and didn't place at 165 the last two years, him at 174 he won't AA. Myles is probably good enough to do well at 184. 

I will give American a go.

125 - Gage Curry RJr. - NQ

133 - Daniel Kidd Jr./Patrick Ryan So.

141 - Sal Profaci RSr. - transfer from Michigan - NQ

149 - Kizhan Clarke RJr. - NQ

157 - Ethan Karsten - former Mizzou wrestler, 2-time NJCAA finalist & 1 time champ RJr. - NQ

165 - Anthony Wokasch RJr.

174 - Connor Allshouse  RJr.

184 - Tanner Harvey RJr. - R12

197 - Prince Hyeamang RJr.

285 - Niko Camacho - RSo. - NQ

A couple others who should be in the mix are Tim Fitzpatrick 157/165 and Ben Root 165/174, both RFr. I have no special insight. I just but the people who started and/or who qualified last year and added one starter to the qualifying list who barely missed making the tournament and the two transfers. But these are only guesses, FWIW.

On 4/21/2019 at 2:01 PM, nhs67 said:

Indiana just picked up a solid transfer in Brock Hudkins from Northern Illinois. Indiana native and R12 as a true freshman at 125. Really nice pick up for the Hoosiers and fills a need at 125 with Oliver graduating.