Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Pan Am Team Mystery

U.S. Men’s Freestyle roster
57 kg: Josh Rodriguez (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC)
61 kg: Joe Colon (Fresno, Calif./Titan Mercury WC/Valley RTC)
65 kg: Colton McCrystal (Lincoln, Neb./Nebraska WTC)
70 kg: Anthony Ashnault (South Plainfield, N.J./NJRTC)
74 kg: Jordan Burroughs (Lincoln, Neb./Sunkist Kids)
79 kg: Chandler Rogers (Stillwater, Okla./Titan Mercury WC/Cowboy RTC)
86 kg: David Taylor (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC)
92 kg: J’den Cox (Colorado Springs, Colo./Titan Mercury WC/USOTC)
97 kg: Kyle Snyder (Columbus, Ohio/Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)
125 kg: Nick Gwiazdowksi (Raleigh, N.C./Titan Mercury WC)

I have questions about 57Kg, 65Kg, 70Kg and 79Kg. Those guys are not even in the top 10 in USA rankings. Why are they on the team?

I don't think there is a big mystery.

At 57, 65, and 70 KG, most of the top tier guys will be competing a few days later at the US Open (because there is no one with a bye to the finals of Final X), so they (Team USA) probably found it much harder to find an elite wrestler willing to make the trip to Argentina and most likely miss out on the US Open in Las Vegas.

At 79 KG, Dake is most likely going to compete at the US Open at 74 KG.   Others like Dieringer are competing there at 79 KG.

Edited by dmm53

16 hours ago, dmm53 said:

I don't think there is a big mystery.

At 57, 65, and 70 KG, most of the top tier guys will be competing a few days later at the US Open (because there is no one with a bye to the finals of Final X), so they (Team USA) probably found it much harder to find an elite wrestler willing to make the trip to Argentina and most likely miss out on the US Open in Las Vegas.

At 79 KG, Dake is most likely going to compete at the US Open at 74 KG.   Others like Dieringer are competing there at 79 KG.

Spot on 

I know Dake has to do what is best for him, but I really hope he doesn't go down to 74kg prior to the Olympics.  We are a better team with him at 79kg and JB at 74kg.  However, I do think that Derringer can represent USA well. 

So question.  How would it work if Dake does go down, wins the Open and WTT at 74kg then wrestles JB at the final X?  Would the lose of that match be able to challenge for the 79kg spot?

Just now, scramble said:

I know Dake has to do what is best for him, but I really hope he doesn't go down to 74kg prior to the Olympics.  We are a better team with him at 79kg and JB at 74kg.  However, I do think that Derringer can represent USA well. 

So question.  How would it work if Dake does go down, wins the Open and WTT at 74kg then wrestles JB at the final X?  Would the lose of that match be able to challenge for the 79kg spot?

Nope

1 minute ago, ConnorsDad said:

Nope

That will potentially suck for USA.  Even though we have depth there and others who could do well, it will such leaving a World Champ back when we don't necessarily have to.  Again though, I understand has to do what he feels is best to prepare for his Olympic ambition and dreams. 

Well I agree with Scramble when he says we are a better team with JB at 74, and KD at 79. And I too hope that if KD is going to 74, he doesn't do it until after this year's World's. As far as JD is concerned, I have no idea what he meant by his text, I am beginning to think that he might just be there to coach. 

6 minutes ago, de4856 said:

Well I agree with Scramble when he says we are a better team with JB at 74, and KD at 79. And I too hope that if KD is going to 74, he doesn't do it until after this year's World's. As far as JD is concerned, I have no idea what he meant by his text, I am beginning to think that he might just be there to coach. 

Sorry about the one word text but I was driving and that's all I could put out at the time. Here's what I think of the whole situation not that anybody cares.

Yes it's much better if he doesn't go down until next year. However, if he goes down I completely understand it. I agree with you and scramble. Finally, I also have no idea what that text means. Maybe he's going to compete, maybe coach and maybe just drink beer and watch.

It’s a tough situation. You want it decided on the mat as fairly as possible. Giving a guy, no matter how good, a bye to the “final finals” is not fair to the guy who has to go that extra mile nobody else has to. That said, the ultimate goal is to choose the best possible rep at each weight. 

Maybe USAW can extend their policy that current world medalists deserve special treatment (hence, they sit in the finals) to allow current world medalists to wrestle off at their weight after a failed attempt to earn the spot at a different weight. This would only impact Dake (not JB, since he’s not a 79 kg medalist) were he to go down and lose, but maybe better than nothing? 

With Olympic and non Olympic weights, we’re bound to see these situations of leaving the likely best guy at home quite regularly.

As for Dake, his absence at the Pan Ams means 100x more to me than the tweet that means nothing. Taylor responded to Dake that he’d be at the US Open too and he’s obviously not wrestling there. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Well I see that KD has accepted his spot in final X at 79, which I see as great news. As far as why he isn't going to the Pan Am's, I haven't the foggiest, but since he is a brand new dad, maybe he is just passing on the Pan Am's so he can stay at home and help out and enjoy his new baby.