cornercoach

Could Tiger...??

2 hours ago, Jim L said:

Statement to this effect are so often repeated that they are taken as truth, but they just don't stand up.  Why if it is the most difficult thing to do, can some many people accomplish it.  Most good major league hitters put the ball into the play in most of their at bats even if they don't end up as hits.  I know it is an elite skill, but every high level sport requires elite skills.  Persosnally, I washed out in little league where I was terrified of getting hit pitch and just stood there never taking a swing, hoping for a walk.

Personally, I would argue the hardest thing in sports is to be an NFL QB.  There are maybe 16 QBs in the league who are better than adequate.

So many people can accomplish it?   There are millions who play the sport around the world (unlike football), and the totals that make it to the big leagues is in the hundreds.  The number of guys in the majors who can even hit .300 is very, very small.  Regarding the NFL, there is a certain size minimum that is required to even be considered...which negates 2/3 of the population.  In baseball, you have all shapes & sizes.   I'm not a huge fan of baseball, just acknowledging the immense difficulty of hitting a big league curveball.  

23 hours ago, Mphillips said:

Baseball...

The toughest part of baseball is trying to stay awake while watching it. What a boring "sport".

I heard a comedian talking about how dull baseball is. He stated that in theory the PERFECT baseball game would never end and the score would be 0-0 after 20 innings.

What is the toughest thing to do in sports? USA Today ran a series on this a few years ago, and I think they ranked hitting a fastball as #1. 

I would argue that wrestling is the toughest overall sport to participate in, but nailing a perfect dive off the 10 meter platform seems like one of the toughest things to do in sports, IMHO.

3 hours ago, tightwaist said:

So many people can accomplish it?   There are millions who play the sport around the world (unlike football), and the totals that make it to the big leagues is in the hundreds.  The number of guys in the majors who can even hit .300 is very, very small.  Regarding the NFL, there is a certain size minimum that is required to even be considered...which negates 2/3 of the population.  In baseball, you have all shapes & sizes.   I'm not a huge fan of baseball, just acknowledging the immense difficulty of hitting a big league curveball.  

I am not minimizing the difficulty of hitting a fast ball, there are just so many difficult athletic things that are difficult to do. How about striking out a to major league hitter? Why is that easier than getting a hit? Top hitters strike out way less than 30%

Lasting a round with Jon Jones?

Running a sub 2:05  marathon?

Sinking a three point shot while guarded by an NBA player?

Stopping a premier league soccer penalty shot?

I am not minimizing the difficulty of hitting a fast ball, there are just so many difficult athletic things that are difficult to do. How about striking out a to major league hitter? Why is that easier than getting a hit? Top hitters strike out way less than 30%
Lasting a round with Jon Jones?
Running a sub 2:05  marathon?
Sinking a three point shot while guarded by an NBA player?
Stopping a premier league soccer penalty shot?
How about world class water polo or ultra distance marathoners?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

For those who have said that golf isn't a sport, or at least sure ain't as much of a sport as wrestling, maybe this is the best evidence:

The lead story in the New York Times sports section today was that Tiger Woods won the Masters yesterday by staring impatiently at Francisco Molinari as Molinari dropped his ball and prepared to play his next shot after he hit into the water on number 12.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/14/sports/tiger-woods-masters-stare.html

Really?  A 43 year old bald guy with an arthritic body standing 20 yards away with his arms crossed was enough to make the defending British Open champion collapse with another major tournament victory in sight?  Someone is not impressed...

image.jpeg.5f5d738ba5f1fbaeab0fed31eafe129c.jpeg

20 hours ago, TobusRex said:

The toughest part of baseball is trying to stay awake while watching it. What a boring "sport".

I heard a comedian talking about how dull baseball is. He stated that in theory the PERFECT baseball game would never end and the score would be 0-0 after 20 innings.

Tobus, I wish you had been interested in that second book of mine. There is one story in it devoted to this VERY topic!

On 4/14/2019 at 6:54 PM, drag it said:

I would view golf as more of a sport than bowling, billiards, NASCAR.  Great golfers have to display a lot of core physical gifts -- hand-eye coordination, strength, precision, and have to be able to focus, concentrate, and compete like great athletes.  

Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johnson, Tiger Woods, and others are much better athletes than the people in the other mentioned sports/endeavors. 

But golf is a game where a 43 year old with a battered body just won a major tournament, where people in their 40s have won a fair amount, and where a 59 year old almost/should have won a big title several years back.  So it's not the same as wrestling, the big four professional sports, tennis, and others. 

Even with respect to baseball.  No 43 year old could be a top baseball player (position player anyway; only exception could have been Barry Bonds, but he was one of the top ten players ever and then threw massive amounts of steroids on top of that).  Baseball players generally top out at 27 or 28, then fall off, and are usually out of the majors by their early or mid 30s; only Hall of Famers can keep playing at a high level into their late 30s.  The classic example of this was when Willie Mays, probably the best player ever, tripped and fell on his face in the World Series trying to track a fly ball in his last year at age 42.  Pitchers use to occasionally pitch into their 40s, but that hasn't happened much lately,  either.  

Golf is a different thing physically.  The dropoff in physical function that happens to everyone starting in their late 20s and unstoppably so in the mid-to-late 30s can be overcome more so in golf than in the "real" sports.  Most of that is because you're playing the course, not other people.  If you drive the ball 10-15% shorter than you used to, you can still find a way to manage the course and win some tournaments, though probably less than you used to.  If you are 10-15% less strong, fast, endurance, etc., you won't beat a number of great wrestlers in a tournament; can't get around on a major league fastball consistently; can't get up and down the basketball court and guard top players, etc.  

I would say NASCAR is something that is pretty brutal. they may drive in a circle but you try that for several hrs at speeds up to 200mph in bumper to bumper traffic not to mention the heat. Not a Nascar fan but no way could this not be a sprt

35 minutes ago, BobbyGribbs said:

I would say NASCAR is something that is pretty brutal. they may drive in a circle but you try that for several hrs at speeds up to 200mph in bumper to bumper traffic not to mention the heat. Not a Nascar fan but no way could this not be a sprt

Agree that it's brutal.  It's very demanding -- it requires a particular set of extraordinary physical skills as well as concentration and great courage. 

This ends up depending on your point of view and how you define a sport. NASCAR drivers don't really demonstrate what I would view as athleticism. They don't run, jump, throw, hit things, or fight. I would think that someone who cannot do these or other such things at any kind of a high level could still be a champion stock car racer, and also guess that most great racers haven't been very good at other sports like many athletes in more traditional sports, and probably couldn't be.  So I personally wouldn't put them in the same class as the big four sports, wrestling, tennis, probably golf, and others, as athletes. But racing is a very challenging competition that is a sport. Now I'm just tying myself up in knots...

Nothing where you can't cheer, yell and make noise while they are competing is a real sport. Tennis included.

Baseball you have deafening noise while a guy is standing there with a bat and another guy throwing a 100mph ball at him. Golf - "shut the hell up and stay off the lawn" while a guy hits a stationary ball. Tennis - keep quiet so we can hear Pock-pock as the ball is hit and grunt-grunt as they wind up to hit it. Let the audience cheer and yell!

Anyone ever been to a wrestling match with no cheering or noise? One time - School for the Deaf - and it was an ethereal experience!

On 4/16/2019 at 2:14 PM, JC said:

Tobus, I wish you had been interested in that second book of mine. There is one story in it devoted to this VERY topic!

What books have you written?  I’m guessing I can find them on Amazon?

Also, I think an NFL cornerback would make a fantastic wrestler.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:11 PM, LCpl Schmuckatelli said:

What books have you written?  I’m guessing I can find them on Amazon?

Also, I think an NFL cornerback would make a fantastic wrestler.

LCpl, check your inbox.

What is the toughest thing to do in sports? USA Today ran a series on this a few years ago, and I think they ranked hitting a fastball as #1. 
I would argue that wrestling is the toughest overall sport to participate in, but nailing a perfect dive off the 10 meter platform seems like one of the toughest things to do in sports, IMHO.

I think stopping a guy like Patrick Kane on a breakaway is something not a lot of folks would be able to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/14/2019 at 6:00 PM, Mphillips said:

Baseball...

Cannot dispute that... Yankees currently have 13 guys on the DL - what are they doing to prep as professionals that they all get hurt???

...pansies

On 4/18/2019 at 8:55 PM, WillieBoy said:

Anyone ever been to a wrestling match with no cheering or noise? One time - School for the Deaf - and it was an ethereal experience!

I think way too many of us have been to matches where the cheering and noise were minimal. 

On 4/21/2019 at 7:08 PM, Mphillips said:

Who?

Ice Hockey! I had to look him up. I played hockey for many years and it is hard to say where it fits in the argument for most athletic. I'd you don't have a high level skating then you don't even have a chance no matter how allergically talented you are.

BTW, Boston Bruins star Zdeno Charo's father was a world class wrestler (I think world medalist). Charo is ridiculously tall, 6'7" or so, maybe thought wrestling wasn't for him and took the easy way!

4 hours ago, Jim L said:

Ice Hockey! I had to look him up. I played hockey for many years and it is hard to say where it fits in the argument for most athletic. I'd you don't have a high level skating then you don't even have a chance no matter how allergically talented you are.

BTW, Boston Bruins star Zdeno Charo's father was a world class wrestler (I think world medalist). Charo is ridiculously tall, 6'7" or so, maybe thought wrestling wasn't for him and took the easy way!

Chara is 6'9 actually.  He tried basketball first. 

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:14 PM, vsnej said:

Cannot dispute that... Yankees currently have 13 guys on the DL - what are they doing to prep as professionals that they all get hurt???

...pansies

You think baseball players just sit around the house all winter and then head to florida in February to start getting ready for the season.  Sure, maybe some of them do, but the vast majority are working on their game year round.  162 games + post season is a marathon and you definitely have to prepare yourself for that grind.  Unless you are a freak like Bartolo Colon.  I'll give you that a lot of "injuries" these guys have now would have been played through 20-30 years ago.  Guys do go to the DL for very minor things.  Same with the NBA.  Lebron will skip games just to "rest".

On 4/23/2019 at 10:47 AM, wildcatfan1992 said:

You think baseball players just sit around the house all winter and then head to florida in February to start getting ready for the season.  Sure, maybe some of them do, but the vast majority are working on their game year round.  162 games + post season is a marathon and you definitely have to prepare yourself for that grind.  Unless you are a freak like Bartolo Colon.  I'll give you that a lot of "injuries" these guys have now would have been played through 20-30 years ago.  Guys do go to the DL for very minor things.  Same with the NBA.  Lebron will skip games just to "rest".

Agree with this. The high total on the injured list is not a reflection of a lack of preparation. Look at Stanton and Judge.  If anything, they and others are over preparing, and getting too muscular for the types of torquing in their sport.