BigTenFanboy

Suriano vs Colon at BTS

Unless they make gut wrenches an illegal hold Colon will tech Suriano.  I think Suriano can make it look like a match on his feet with his attacks, but I don't know he can score many if any.  Colon has a phenomenal neutral defense.  He did in college too, and it is only better now.  He has always been hard to score takedowns on.  Once Colon gets on top the score is going to open up.  He has a world class gut wrench and American parter defensive has always been a struggle for American's pre senior level international competition. 

Well I am really excited to see to this match up. Suriano is a great collegiate star, and it should be really fun to see him take on our Bronze medalist. Hopefully USA wrestling can continue to put together some more great matches for this year's BTS. And not to be politically correct or anything like that, but since the ladies were left off the AWL card, hopefully they can put together several Women's matches as well. 

1 hour ago, scramble said:

Unless they make gut wrenches an illegal hold Colon will tech Suriano.  I think Suriano can make it look like a match on his feet with his attacks, but I don't know he can score many if any.  Colon has a phenomenal neutral defense.  He did in college too, and it is only better now.  He has always been hard to score takedowns on.  Once Colon gets on top the score is going to open up.  He has a world class gut wrench and American parter defensive has always been a struggle for American's pre senior level international competition. 

I don't think this is being mindful or paying respect to Suriano and his neutral abilities.  Colon has to get him down to get the gut.  Suriano is much more physical and I would wager a significant amount stronger.

I'm taking Jersey here.  He's going to be in ridiculous shape, he always is, and on top of it that he just completed his collegiate season.

I don't know that freestyle wrestling will have much of a factor in this one. Neutral where NS gets a TD and wins a very low scoring match.

9 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I don't think this is being mindful or paying respect to Suriano and his neutral abilities.  Colon has to get him down to get the gut.  Suriano is much more physical and I would wager a significant amount stronger.

I'm taking Jersey here.  He's going to be in ridiculous shape, he always is, and on top of it that he just completed his collegiate season.

I don't know that freestyle wrestling will have much of a factor in this one. Neutral where NS gets a TD and wins a very low scoring match.

I'd have to disagree on the strength and the low scoring match comment, Colon puts up big points win or lose. Suriano is so sound with his positioning on his feet, but i think Colon will force the upper body ties and look for some type of feet to back score. he always does, even at the world level.

I am looking forward to this match, its a bit of a known vs. Unknown in my opinion. I think passivity/shot clock will force Suriano to open up a bit more than he does in Folkstyle which will be really exciting to see. I have to go with Colon here, but i can't wait to see what Nick brings to the table in Free. 

Edited by Nicky_Pipes

How am I the only one who thinks Nick has a ch and here? I don't even like Jersey. In fact, I have a strong dislike for the state in general.

I believe Nick will win this.

I didn't believe he could beat Desanto.

I didn't believe he could beat Micic.

I didn't believe he could beat Fix.

I trust in his neutral game enough to ouck him over Colon. There is no way Colon will be horsing him into an upper body feet-to-back. Not a fart's chance in a crapstorm.

How am I the only one who thinks Nick has a ch and here? I don't even like Jersey. In fact, I have a strong dislike for the state in general.
I trust in his neutral game enough to ouck him over Colon. There is no way Colon will be horsing him into an upper body feet-to-back. Not a fart's chance in a crapstorm.
You doubted him against Desanto in his preferred style but favor him over Colon in freestyle. You're blowing my mind man

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

lol you are comparing Colon to Desanto?! keep in mind this is a freestyle match and that Colon is a very seasoned World team member. 

Fix and Micic are 57kg guys in freestyle not 61, that has to be put into perspective as well. Like i said, Nick is an unknown in Free, Colon is the easy favorite going into this event. 

10 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

You doubted him against Desanto in his preferred style but favor him over Colon in freestyle. You're blowing my mind man

What part about Nick proved me(any many of you other keyboard warriors) wrong is difficult to understand?

Colon lucked into worlds. He earned his bronze, yes, but he was not our #1.

Edited by nhs67
I have fat fingers and need to spellcheck.

36 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Yeah, got to go with Colon. 
Bigger, stronger, more experienced, our current #1,  World Bronze.... 
vs very elite Folkstyle college kid.... 
Its about as cut and dry as it gets. I'd expect a tech. 

If I had to bet I'd go with Colon just from his freestyle experience but he did get crushed and teched by Garrett last year (I realize he beat Garrett as well) and Garrett wasn't a medal threat at least going into worlds.  Colon is tough and has a unique style but he's far from unbeatable.  

What part about Nick proved me(any many of you ither keyboard warriors) wrong is difficult to understand?
Colon lucked into worlds. He earned his bronze, yes, but he was not our #1.
Ok sorry our #2
And I'm not saying he didnt prove you wrong. I'm saying of course he could win those matches in folk, he's difficult to score on and Desanto is just "ok"... I picked that name specifically because it's odd you ever thought he "couldn't" beat him...

Onto Colon. I guess he (Suriano) will prove you wrong again because Freestyle is just a different sport. Look at 90% of the other people making the transition without prior Freestyle accolades. You go from Mean Dean Hiel 2x undefeated NCAA champion looking unbeatable on the college mats to getting teched by kids from podunk college because he isnt proficient at Freestyle. Nick's stall and brawl style is more conducive to freestyle than a Dean Heil but with shot clocks and push outs and Colons mat wrestling, itll be shocking if its not a blow out and I dont understand why you cant concede that

If I had to bet I'd go with Colon just from his freestyle experience but he did get crushed and teched by Garrett last year (I realize he beat Garrett as well) and Garrett wasn't a medal threat at least going into worlds.  Colon is tough and has a unique style but he's far from unbeatable.  

Yeah he is far from unbeatable against solid international freestylers but look at the names he just buries on the domestic scene, they were all great college athletes at one point and he produces a lot of techs

Edit* i just looked it up and last year at the open he had tough matches with Megaludis and Wright (who we all know has become a solid freestyler), before that ridic 20-13 win over Garrett in the finals.

Yeah... the OPEN CHAMPION last year. Somebody who doesnt wrestle freestyle isnt beating him

3 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Yeah he is far from unbeatable against solid international freestylers but look at the names he just buries on the domestic scene, they were all great college athletes at one point and he produces a lot of techs

Well last year at the US Open he beat Nico in the quarters 5-2 and the he beat that NCAA great Brandon Wright in the semis 7-5.  Pretty far from a tech.  I loved Colon's effort last year but he gets crushed quite a bit internationally.  Again far from unbeatable.  

Well last year at the US Open he beat Nico in the quarters 5-2 and the he beat that NCAA great Brandon Wright in the semis 7-5.  Pretty far from a tech.  I loved Colon's effort last year but he gets crushed quite a bit internationally.  Again far from unbeatable.  

Lol I had just edited my post trying to do it before somebody who wanted to say "Mega and Wright wrestled him close" popped up... but you beat me to it... your right. He is beatable, hes lost to Nashon Garret before so... Nick Suriano in his first freestyle match.... since highschool.. has a shot

1 minute ago, spladle08 said:

Lol I had just edited my post trying to do it before somebody who wanted to say "Mega and Wright wrestled him close" popped up... but you beat me to it... your right. He is beatable, hes lost to Nashon Garret before so... Nick Suriano in his first freestyle match.... since highschool.. has a shot

So by your logic he barely beats Brandon Wright who was never even an AA just last year and Nashon teched him yet Nick Suriano has no shot against him?  Ok we shall see.  

So by your logic he barely beats Brandon Wright who was never even an AA just last year and Nashon teched him yet Nick Suriano has no shot against him?  Ok we shall see.  
Wright is a legit Freestyler. Does Suriano crush Wright in folk? Sure but it's a different form of wrestling but you're right... we will see

And BTW freestyle isn't a different sport.  Funny how nearly all of our best of the best folkstylers seem to transition quite well to free.  Dake, Snyder, Taylor, Burroughs, Cox...how on earth did they do it?

2 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Wright is a legit Freestyler. Does Suriano crush Wright in folk? Sure but it's a different form of wrestling but you're right... we will see

Wright is a legit freestyler?  How do you define legit?  Has he ever wrestled internationally?  On his way to the semis last year vs Colon he beat Shelton Mack, Jacob Colon and Darrius Little.  How many AA finishes do those guys have?

Wright is a legit freestyler?  How do you define legit?  Has he ever wrestled internationally?  On his way to the semis last year vs Colon he beat Shelton Mack, Jacob Colon and Darrius Little.  How many AA finishes do those guys have?
Haha I think a couple years ago he had a few good upsets, and pushed Steiber and Maple to the brink in a few matches, sorry his draw wasnt as tough last year. The point is, he's one of those guys who style just fits freestyle better than folk. aside from 125 where its just the same several college stars who have evolved into freestylers (or already were) there are a few of these guys at every weight. Like gatekeepers, they'll never make the team but they beat top college guys every year and people post like it's a shocking result.
Sorry Colon won the USOPEN lost final X, and was able to wrestle at Worlds where he took 3rd. I didnt put it all together until now. Suriano by 5

Colon is the world medalist at 61kg.  Let's look at his results against from the last 2 years against decent domestic competition .

AWL Border Battle - beat Waters 7-6

Final X 2018 - beat Garrett 7-5, lost to Garrett 10-5, lost to Garrett 12-0

US Open 2018 - beat Megaludis 5-2, beat Brandon Wright 7-5, beat Garrett 20-13

Dave Schultz Dec 2017 - beat Dardanes 14-12, beat Ramos 14-3, beat Garrett 14-3

WTT 2017 - lost to Kindig 10-4, beat Gross 11-5, lost to Brewer 20-10

2017 US Open - beat Gross 16-12, lost to Wright 6-6, defaulted out

Dave Schultz Feb 2017 - beat Garrett 14-4, lost to Graff 10-0 

So he is a 11-6 against good domestic competition.  4 of those wins were against Garrett, who seems to have now figured him out.  2 of them were against Gross in 2017, was good but quite young compared to most of these guys.  The others were a close win over Waters, a close win over Wright (who beat him previously), a close win over Megaludis, a tech over Ramos (who was undersized at this weight after the rule changes), a close win over Dardanes.  His loses include techs to Brewer and Graff (I think in both cases that was their only meeting in freestyle) and a loss to Kindig.

If you think Suriano is at a similar level to guys like Waters, Wright, Dardanes, and Kindig, then I'd expect a pretty competitive match with Colon.  I'm not sure if he is, but to me that's the question.

Edited by rpm002