BigTenFanboy

Suriano vs Colon at BTS

On 4/17/2019 at 6:59 PM, cjc007 said:

Suriano is in great shape and hard to score on. He will be facing a savvy veteran in Colon. It's a very interesting match up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm amazed at what Colon has accomplished, and remember he wasn't the number 1 guy until just before the world tournament.  I think if anyone can stop his gut they may have a chance, I just haven't seen anyone who can do that.  The defending world champ, was helpless.  We are turning into Russia in freestyle wrestling.  3 potential medalists at some weights.    I suspect women's wrestling is not too far behind with what is happening in that sport at all levels here in the states.

49 minutes ago, Peso said:

I'm amazed at what Colon has accomplished, and remember he wasn't the number 1 guy until just before the world tournament.  I think if anyone can stop his gut they may have a chance, I just haven't seen anyone who can do that.  The defending world champ, was helpless.  We are turning into Russia in freestyle wrestling.  3 potential medalists at some weights.    I suspect women's wrestling is not too far behind with what is happening in that sport at all levels here in the states.

If memory serves, Bonne is inconsistent.  He turns it up at worlds.  So I wouldn’t put too much stock in Colon’s win.

(But it goes without saying that Colon is legit.)

Edited by Katie

Great win by Colon over Bonne. I remember YBR being a huge, very persistent thorn in Tony Ramos' side. Ramos could never finish a single leg on him, even with the leg locked up and elevated; and I seem to recall Tony getting launched by Bonne on a number of occasions. Just totally owned.

We'll see how YBR does at Worlds. His performance at Pan Ams might be a reflection of his age catching up to him, though. I don't know how old he is, but it seems like he's been around for quite some time.

10 hours ago, pamela said:

Great win by Colon over Bonne. I remember YBR being a huge, very persistent thorn in Tony Ramos' side. Ramos could never finish a single leg on him, even with the leg locked up and elevated; and I seem to recall Tony getting launched by Bonne on a number of occasions. Just totally owned.

We'll see how YBR does at Worlds. His performance at Pan Ams might be a reflection of his age catching up to him, though. I don't know how old he is, but it seems like he's been around for quite some time.

Wiki says he's 35.  I remember JB saying him and YBR were two of the oldest guys competing at the 2018 World Championships.  

YBR took Ramos to the woodshed at Beat the Streets.  He knew Ramos was outclassed and just proceeded to throw him every chance he had.  

On 4/22/2019 at 8:37 AM, misterc said:

YBR took Ramos to the woodshed at Beat the Streets.  He knew Ramos was outclassed and just proceeded to throw him every chance he had.  

In boxing, once you get knocked out with a clean, full-force punch, you’re often never the same. That match was the wrestling equivalent. I feel Ramos was never the same again. 

He has a great front headlock, chest wrap series as well. Joe Colon is one tough wrestler.

I'm happy as hell that USA Wrestling went all in for freestyle about 30 yrs ago on the youth level.

It took some time to get where we are now.

We are seriously developing talent from all across the country. California, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Texas, Minnesota, Illinois, all have great freestyle and Greco coaches. It's why we can now compete for World and Olympic titles with Russia.

It's a great time to be a USA Wrestling Olympic Styles Fan.

On 4/21/2019 at 7:27 PM, Katie said:

If memory serves, Bonne is inconsistent.  He turns it up at worlds.  So I wouldn’t put too much stock in Colon’s win.

(But it goes without saying that Colon is legit.)

"Inconsistent" in terms of being "only" world-class sometimes and then being other-worldly other times. He never loses to crap opponents. That's a very legit win.

Until we see Suriano wrestle freestyle well, there's no way you can't expect a whitewash from a super-savvy freestyler like Colon. 

Edited by maligned

"Inconsistent" in terms of being "only" world-class sometimes and then being other-worldly other times. He never loses to crap opponents. That's a very legit win.
Until we see Suriano wrestle freestyle well, there's no way you can't expect a whitewash from a super-savvy freestyler like Colon. 
Yeah, I get equally bothered when people refer to Chamizo as "inconsistent"....
But yeah solid win.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, maligned said:

FRL mentioned yesterday that Bonne lost to both Cory Clark and Whitford (NOTE I am not calling them crap opponents, just quoting) at a recent tournament.  Is that true?  I feel like he was initially listed to wrestle said tourney against Clark/Whitford but it wasn't him. 

FRL mentioned yesterday that Bonne lost to both Cory Clark and Whitford (NOTE I am not calling them crap opponents, just quoting) at a recent tournament.  Is that true?  I feel like he was initially listed to wrestle said tourney against Clark/Whitford but it wasn't him. 
If that happened I dont know how I missed it. Or how it didnt make all the headlines. I'll assume fake news for now until somebody posts it. Hell I'll check twitter cause its unbelievable to me

Follow up* yeah Bonne didnt compete against Clark and Whitford apparently registered but did not compete .

http://www.jit.cu/NewsDetails.aspx?idnoticia=108081

Translated:

COMISIÓN Nacional de Luchas wishes to clarify that the freestyle world champion, Yowlys Bonne, did not compete in the 52 Granma-Cerro Pelado International Tournament, closed this Friday in the capital's Sports City.

The experienced athlete suffered from an injury and the coaches preferred to guard him for the World Cup of Wrestling, scheduled for early March in the region of Yakutia, Russia.

Some media have reported a bronze medal for Bonne, also classified as a "result below the expected in the 61 kg", which is unfounded.

The prominent gladiator did not even attend the official weighing, nor ever touched the mattress of competition.

We regret the circulation of this information that has generated logical discomfort in the athlete and his coaches.

8 hours ago, maligned said:

I picked Colon to beat Suriano as soon as I heard of the match. (There is evidence of that in this thread.)

Additionally, I don’t think I ever suggested Colon was not an elite, world-class wrestler.

What I am suggesting (in response to Colon’s win over Bonne) is that I doubt Colon beat the best version of Bonne.

At the 2019 World Cup, Bonne lost to Russia’s third stringer (Abakarov). In 2018, he placed 9th at Yarygin (up a weight).  And in 2017 he barely wrestled at all.

These data points tell me that Bonne isn’t always in peak form before worlds.

Edited by Katie

So, with Suriano's win tonight, does this mean that he is a legit force at 61, ( I certainly think that he could be ). Additionally, with the loss by Colon, does it show that he might be vulnerable, or is this just a bump in the road?

There were a lot of very wrong, and very opinionated wrong people, in this thread.  

Its a shame that social media and forums allow for such bravado without having to actually eat a little crow. 

Maybe these forum boards would actually be a pleasure to read and participate in, instead of having to see and witness all the vitriol. 

Anyway... Suriano is legit.  Period.  

The matchup wasn't understood, or respected as much as it needed to be.

Colon-He is obviously a great wrestler with a nearly world class top game. Nothing else of his is even remotely close to that. Kind if a Jack of all trades. Very, very good but only one thing that is considered top 10 to 15 in the world(maybe).

Suriano has nearly world class neutral defense and world class functional strength.

The matches start neutral. Suriano will approach every match with a chip. He took this match dead serious. Colon may or may not have.

Styles make matches. Colon would beat more of the field more of the time at 61kg than Suriano would, but I believe Suriano beats Colon more than not.

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

The matchup wasn't understood, or respected as much as it needed to be.

Colon-He is obviously a great wrestler with a nearly world class top game. Nothing else of his is even remotely close to that. Kind if a Jack of all trades. Very, very good but only one thing that is considered top 10 to 15 in the world(maybe).

Suriano has nearly world class neutral defense and world class functional strength.

The matches start neutral. Suriano will approach every match with a chip. He took this match dead serious. Colon may or may not have.

Styles make matches. Colon would beat more of the field more of the time at 61kg than Suriano would, but I believe Suriano beats Colon more than not.

Colon is a counter wrestler.  Most of his big wins went like this:  High volume shooters like Garrett or Gross or Nico come in on him, Colon uses his chest wrap to expose or is able to counter and throw (and then get a couple gut wrenches) enough times to win. 

By contrast, Suriano is very strong and stayed in great position and didn't give Colon much of anything to counter.  It really shouldn't have been a surprise that this would work.  Others have beaten Colon this way too.  For example:  

Edited by rpm002

On 4/16/2019 at 10:25 AM, spladle08 said:

Yeah, got to go with Colon. 
Bigger, stronger, more experienced, our current #1,  World Bronze.... 
vs very elite Folkstyle college kid.... 
Its about as cut and dry as it gets. I'd expect a tech. 

Man you nailed this one. You were so right...cut and dry. 

Edited by AnklePicker