Sign in to follow this  
Giovanni

Dake Accepts Final X Birth @ 79KG

Interesting.  I guess that officially puts to bed the rumors that he planned to test the waters @ 74kg this year.  This makes more sense to me anyway.  Rushing a descent to 74kg and potentially missing out on a chance to compete at World's this year would have been a terrible outcome personally for Dake, while also weakening our team overall.  

1 hour ago, Giovanni said:

Just saw Dake has officially accepted Final X birth at 79KG, which I believe makes him ineligible to compete at 74KG at the Open? Either way, good news for our 2019 squad.

where has this been made official, anyone have a source? i haven't seen anything on it yet

Edited by Nicky_Pipes

1 hour ago, boconnell said:

What does this mean for 2020 OTTs?  If Dake and Burroughs both medal does Burroughs get the bye to the final X next year because he was at 74?  If so I think Dake made a mistake not dropping now.  I would try to overcome the advantage now instead of in an olympic year.  

On Flowrestling, they alluded to some method to also reward medalists from other non olympic weight classes making a bid for an olympic weight next year.  Not sure how that's going to work since I've heard we will go back to the single day WTT format for Olympic Trials.  If not, and we still use Final X, maybe it's that the 2019 79kg medal winner gets to sit out at WTT finals.  So only two opponents to get on the Olympic Team, while the 2019 74kg medal winner sits in Final X with only one opponent to get on the Olympic Team.

39 minutes ago, misterc said:

On Flowrestling, they alluded to some method to also reward medalists from other non olympic weight classes making a bid for an olympic weight next year.  Not sure how that's going to work since I've heard we will go back to the single day WTT format for Olympic Trials.  If not, and we still use Final X, maybe it's that the 2019 79kg medal winner gets to sit out at WTT finals.  So only two opponents to get on the Olympic Team, while the 2019 74kg medal winner sits in Final X with only one opponent to get on the Olympic Team.

Dake and Burroughs will both get Final X births and wrestle the winner of the 74kg challenge tourney 2v1.  

1 hour ago, misterc said:

I’m sure this is a terrible idea, but you could have a best-of-three series with three wrestlers. 

Each wrestler would wrestle two simultaneous best-of-three series. It would technically work because only one of the three wrestlers would win both series.

1 hour ago, Katie said:

I’m sure this is a terrible idea, but you could have a best-of-three series with three wrestlers. 

Each wrestler would wrestle two simultaneous best-of-three series. It would technically work because only one of the three wrestlers would win both series.

Why is this such a terrible idea? That’s the first thought I had after reading the last few replies on this thread. 

2 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Why is this such a terrible idea? That’s the first thought I had after reading the last few replies on this thread. 

I didn’t think it through at all and I don’t feel like thinking it through so, lazily, I decided to preempt all potential criticism by being the first one to say it’s a sucky idea

5 hours ago, boconnell said:

What does this mean for 2020 OTTs?  If Dake and Burroughs both medal does Burroughs get the bye to the final X next year because he was at 74?  If so I think Dake made a mistake not dropping now.  I would try to overcome the advantage now instead of in an olympic year.  

I think this is great news. I don't see the advantage of going down this year for his career and his chance of a medal at 74 this year is much less than at 79.