russelscout

Watching the 97 NCAA finals on Espnu

Noticed a couple things:

John Smith looked 22. Man, has time passed by. 

The wrestlers look ginormous for their weight. They had a one weigh in rule at the time? That's insane. I imagine these guys were 15-20 lbs over on Saturday.

Mike Mena should have chose down.

It was better when they gave the guys some time to get a breath before they did their interview, but way worse that they had commercial breaks in the middle of the matches.

There seems to be more action, and yet stalling calls came quicker.

I'm not convinced there is a huge technical disparity between then and now.

Out of bounds rules have changed our sport for the better.

Edited by russelscout

Saw it too. Hawkeyes were certainly something with NCAA record 170 points with six finalists and five champions. It was the last year of Dan Gable’s career.

Overtime rules are bit tougher than now. In overtime, it literally goes to sudden death in every period. I think the present overtime rules are bit fairer with giving each wrestler a chance to ride out.

Lots of studs there in 1997.

37 minutes ago, Buckeyebison said:

Saw it too. Hawkeyes were certainly something with NCAA record 170 points with six finalists and five champions. It was the last year of Dan Gable’s career.

Overtime rules are bit tougher than now. In overtime, it literally goes to sudden death in every period. I think the present overtime rules are bit fairer with giving each wrestler a chance to ride out.

Lots of studs there in 1997.

After watching this, I really began thinking how would these guys do today. Kolat, McCoy, Ironside, Williams, Branch, Guerrero, Mcilravy; I think they would do just fine.

Edited by russelscout

4 minutes ago, KingK0ng said:

they weren't afraid to call a stall 10 seconds after another one, when   they stalled they rang em up.

And guys look absolutely spent at the ends of the match. Kading vs Fullhart looked like someone would pass out.

2 hours ago, russelscout said:

It was better when they gave the guys some time to get a breath before they did their interview, but way worse that they had commercial breaks in the middle of the matches.

not sure this was all they showed... i think it was put into a 2 hour slot here... 

maybe im wrong. but I dont think that was the entire broadcast, though might have been.

I am surprised this got as little attention on here as it did.  It's very rare that we get an opportunity to watch some of those old teams and matches.  I thought it would have created some good discussion during the offseason.

Kolat was obviously an animal, but I had forgotten how long and funky Branch was.  That was a lot of fun to watch.

Wish we could have seen the entire matches, but man, Iowa was tough.  Six in the finals and they won 24 straight matches in the tournament as a team (finished winning 28 of their last 29 matches). 

I doubt we ever see anything like that again.  Just pure domination, and they weren't even the favorites going in!

3 hours ago, Dondante88 said:

I am surprised this got as little attention on here as it did.  It's very rare that we get an opportunity to watch some of those old teams and matches.  I thought it would have created some good discussion during the offseason.

Kolat was obviously an animal, but I had forgotten how long and funky Branch was.  That was a lot of fun to watch.

Wish we could have seen the entire matches, but man, Iowa was tough.  Six in the finals and they won 24 straight matches in the tournament as a team (finished winning 28 of their last 29 matches). 

I doubt we ever see anything like that again.  Just pure domination, and they weren't even the favorites going in!

cool that they showed it again but most if not all of the 97 finals are on youtube. quality might not be great but could also explain the relative lack of excitement from the crowd here. 

21 hours ago, russelscout said:

Noticed a couple things:

The wrestlers look ginormous for their weight. They had a one weigh in rule at the time? That's insane. I imagine these guys were 15-20 lbs over on Saturday.

Was this the "Iowa Day" thing on ESPNU? I had it on in the background but noticed too that the wrestlers looked really huge for their weights. I guess the cutting rules were a lot different back then. Also there was good action and the wrestling seemed so much less "spaghetti" than it is now with the scramble situations. And I wasn't paying close enough attention but I don't think I saw anyone attempt an inside trip, unlike today, and wonder if any of those guys could have gotten caught with it? 

1 minute ago, pamela said:

Was this the "Iowa Day" thing on ESPNU? I had it on in the background but noticed too that the wrestlers looked really huge for their weights. I guess the cutting rules were a lot different back then. Also there was good action and the wrestling seemed so much less "spaghetti" than it is now with the scramble situations. And I wasn't paying close enough attention but I don't think I saw anyone attempt an inside trip, unlike today, and wonder if any of those guys could have gotten caught with it? 

iirc Whitmer hit a nice inside trip on Teague Moore in the semis. 

3 minutes ago, pamela said:

I am not sure on the inside trip because it was only 10 matches. The Ncaa champ from ISU(don't remember the name) and a few others had me thinking that steroids may have been a thing, but I don't know of course. 

21 hours ago, russelscout said:

Noticed a couple things:

Right there with everyone else that these guys looked HUGE.  Williams looked like he was 190+!!

I thought the same that there was more action...small sample size with only 10 matches and shortened clips we were given though, often just starting in the 3rd period.

Not sure if the settings were off on my TV, but the leg bands of Iowa were always a lime green when moving around.  When standing, not moving, they showed as their normal gold.

Out of bounds rulings were throwing me off compared to what I am now used to.  During the Guerrero match, I forgot all about just one ride out.

I still can't get over that stat about Iowa winning 24 matches in a row at the tournament.....gotta feel like that is a Cal Ripken record that no one is ever touching.

As a guy who didn't start wrestling until 1999, this was fun to watch though.  I hope ESPNU is planning on doing more of the "college" days like Iowa day.  I would be on bard with them showing more of these....definitely could do one on OkState, Penn State....Minnesota the year they had 10 All Americans.

6 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I am not sure on the inside trip because it was only 10 matches. The Ncaa champ from ISU(don't remember the name) and a few others had me thinking that steroids may have been a thing, but I don't know of course. 

I definitely had this thought while watching.

22 hours ago, russelscout said:

The best that I can remember everyone still had to make weight each day.  What you could do is WEIGH OUT after all matches were completed on Thursday and Friday evening or make weight on Thursday morning, Friday morning and again Saturday morning.  Most everyone would weigh out in the evening.  Yes, you had guy's way over weight on Saturday.  There are stories of some 118/lb wrestlers weighing 140+ before the finals match on Saturday evening.  

I remember watching the 95 finals I think.  Kelvin Jackson from Mich St. was in process of winning his championship when my buddy walked in and asked what weight they were on.  When I told him 118, he said, "there's no f*(&^*$% way that guy weights 118 lbs!"

1 hour ago, KTG119 said:

cool that they showed it again but most if not all of the 97 finals are on youtube. quality might not be great but could also explain the relative lack of excitement from the crowd here. 

That is my thought as well.  I enjoyed the replay, but not showing full matches and the commercials in between were annoying.  BUT, just the fact that it was a wrestling replay on the  ESPN network was cool.  I thought it was, 'funny' that even though it was a replay, we still had the end of a 'hoops' game on before the wrestling.  

2 hours ago, russelscout said:

The Ncaa champ from ISU(don't remember the name) and a few others had me thinking that steroids may have been a thing, but I don't know of course. 

Barry Weldon @ 177.  He looked like a modern-day 197 lbr 

you have to remember, there isn't a lot of perspective.

that huge 118 pounder is only 4' tall.

standing next to a stud like NATO, almost anyone looks like an NBA player.

but yes, weldon and williams are huge.

how do they compare to marstellar? 

2 hours ago, GockeS said:

you have to remember, there isn't a lot of perspective.

that huge 118 pounder is only 4' tall.

standing next to a stud like NATO, almost anyone looks like an NBA player.

but yes, weldon and williams are huge.

how do they compare to marstellar? 

You had guy's like Jack Spates that were 5'10"+ that wrestled 118lb.  No, most of the guys at 118lb were probably 5'5"+.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

You had guy's like Jack Spates that were 5'10"+ that wrestled 118lb.  No, most of the guys at 118lb were probably 5'5"+.

but he's talking about Whitmer who was maybe, just maybe 5 even. 

Weldon looks huge as well but wasn't real tall. In reality his opponent was probably 'bigger for the weight' Clark was a huge 177. iirc Weldon started out as a 158. 

48 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

but he's talking about Whitmer who was maybe, just maybe 5 even. 

Weldon looks huge as well but wasn't real tall. In reality his opponent was probably 'bigger for the weight' Clark was a huge 177. iirc Weldon started out as a 158. 

exactly.

my 4' tall comment was hyperbole. 

but yes, these guys are rocks but are short.

see kyle snyder

however i wouldn't say clark was huge... he was tall.

Edited by GockeS