TBar1977

Logan Stieber retiring

19 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

It isn't about sensitivity, it is about appropriateness. This guy dmm too often adds political commentary to what he writes, and that commentary is totally inappropriate on this board. Bringing race into a thread about Stieber's retirement was pathetic. Take it somewhere else. 

Dude, you were way more overtly political than he was. Does he bring politics in often or does he sometimes post non-political opinions that you assume liberals hold and you bridge the gap from there? If you don't want the board to be political, stop jumping into a rant of right wing talking points every time he posts something like "veganism is good." If you really can't control your emotions enough to ignore a political comment you don't agree with then maybe you should log off for a few days and take a walk outside to get some perspective. I see thinly-veiled right wing talking points on here all the time, but I don't immediately launch into an unhinged rant because I saw something I disagree with. I simply scroll to the next post or topic. Super easy.

This thread went off the rails because someone pointed out Logan is a vegan and another person illogically went on a rant about veganism and liberalism, which have no logical connection. I am a libertarian and vegan. BTW, it is a false and trite argument that has been rebutted that becoming a vegan means losing strength and muscle mass.

2 hours ago, buckeye97 said:

This thread went off the rails because someone pointed out Logan is a vegan and another person illogically went on a rant about veganism and liberalism, which have no logical connection. I am a libertarian and vegan. BTW, it is a false and trite argument that has been rebutted that becoming a vegan means losing strength and muscle mass.

Logan being Vegan had nothing to do with the rebuttal. It wss the commentary about animal treatment, inserted for political effect.

Edited by TBar1977

Well I have no idea what was Logan's motivation to retire, It could be family stuff, or maybe he is satisfied with all that he has accomplished and with his new wife, he may be at a point where he has decided it's time for the next chapter in his life. I think sometimes as fans we get spoiled seeing guys like Jordan Burroughs and Kyle Snyder and some others who wrestle for a number of years, but I believe that the average is that most wrestlers only wrestle for a couple of years after college. 

Congrats to Logan. He's been such a great wrestler to follow- going back to high school when he started shaking up the Senior level guys! And yes, that offensive style has been great for our sport. 

On the side topic of eating meat, I'm happy to eat local, pasture-raised meats. Six years ago we made that change for health, moral and economic reasons. We spend the same as we used to, which means we eat less than half as much meat as before. The lower omega 6 to 3 ratio of animals' fat that walk around and eat grass is much healthier for humans to consume, and I like knowing that the animal wasn't wading through manure while eating frosted flakes for the last half of its life. I also like that my money goes directly into the pocket of a farmer whom I've met, instead of being spent on fossil fuels to feed and move around the government-subsidized factory farm goods. I think most of my reasons are truly conservative, but that word doesn't mean what it used to mean. 

Good for the vegans, though! Whether they make their decisions for personal health, empathy for animals or environmental concerns - all of those are noble reasons, and I like to believe that Stieber is a noble guy. And I think that describing one of our star athletes for being noble off the mat is a perfectly fine thing to do on this board. 

On 4/16/2019 at 7:11 PM, dmm53 said:

Sorry to see him leave competition. 

Steiber has always been a guy with great character.  Humble, hard working, and supportive of his teammates. 

He recently adopted a vegan diet, which is likely good for his long-term health and great for non-human animals,  who are treated horribly in factory farms.

The guilt you carry must be unbearable...maybe double up your prozac for a few weeks .