BobbyGribbs

Logan Stieber retiring

I've always thought he was a great wrestler with a great attitude and work ethic.

But - the elephant in the room may still be his "win" against Oliver... it was one of the most significant mistakes by officials in recent wrestling history. (Yes, Kessel was the asst. ref)

I don't mean to bring the horse back from the dead to beat - but, at the same time, a send off for Logan wouldn't be complete without his most controversial "win"

2 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I've always thought he was a great wrestler with a great attitude and work ethic.

But - the elephant in the room may still be his "win" against Oliver... it was one of the most significant mistakes by officials in recent wrestling history. (Yes, Kessel was the asst. ref)

I don't mean to bring the horse back from the dead to beat - but, at the same time, a send off for Logan wouldn't be complete without his most controversial "win"

I always thought it was a shame that in the controversy we lost sight of what a very high quality match it was. These were two great and skilled wrestlers performing at a high level against top competition in an NCAA final.  

But the controversy was real.  It sure seemed like a blown call -- Oliver pulled that second ankle all the way in with Stieber on his butt.  And what a way to win a championship that would have been with only 11 seconds on the restart. 

BTW, query to those who are better with the rules interpretations and applications -- was that a Stieber takedown that didn't get called at around the 3.10 mark of the video? All the way behind him with one arm around a leg and the other around the waist?  Not a loaded question -- I really wasn't sure. 

4 hours ago, drag it said:

I always thought it was a shame that in the controversy we lost sight of what a very high quality match it was. These were two great and skilled wrestlers performing at a high level against top competition in an NCAA final.  

But the controversy was real.  It sure seemed like a blown call -- Oliver pulled that second ankle all the way in with Stieber on his butt.  And what a way to win a championship that would have been with only 11 seconds on the restart. 

BTW, query to those who are better with the rules interpretations and applications -- was that a Stieber takedown that didn't get called at around the 3.10 mark of the video? All the way behind him with one arm around a leg and the other around the waist?  Not a loaded question -- I really wasn't sure. 

By today's standards - where "flash" TDs are being awarded once your opponent's hand touches the mat that would definitely be a takedown.  At that time whwn "control " had to be established I think it was the right noncall.  That type of call is probably why they changed that rule.

Edited by lu1979

His wife posted on Instagram saying that when they first went out, he didn’t tell her he was even a starter at tOSU (his wife was an athlete at tOSU also). She said she googled him a few weeks later and saw he was already a 3 time ncaa champion. 

He truly is humble. That is pretty crazy. Even when dating someone who he clearly liked a lot, he didn’t show off.  Actions speak louder than words. 

9 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Anyone who has had success in life (sports, business, academia, etc) has had some moments where luck fell their way. 

If we were making predictions on future results, sure this matters, but holding this against his legacy? He didn’t orchestrate this, he didn’t take steroids, etc. He wrestled hard and was given a gift call, but that’s how it works sometimes. 

You would have to taint Nolf’s legacy too then after the Hidlay match. Even iMar - he didn’t beat the guy who won the semis his freshman year. 

The ref screaming nothing should have encouraged Oliver to try and build up. How do you guys as fans expect an official to call 2 when nothing has changed and he was screaming nothing for like 5 seconds. Either oliver got lazy and figured hed be given the TD or he was stuck and couldn't move up any further. Stieber 4x NCAA champ will always be a thing. Dont bring up the Ramos match nonsense either lol

2 minutes ago, Perry said:

The ref screaming nothing should have encouraged Oliver to try and build up. How do you guys as fans expect an official to call 2 when nothing has changed and he was screaming nothing for like 5 seconds. Either oliver got lazy and figured hed be given the TD or he was stuck and couldn't move up any further. Stieber 4x NCAA champ will always be a thing. Dont bring up the Ramos match nonsense either lol

These are some serious mental gymnastics.  Because it was improperly called it had to continue to be improperly called and the guy who scored the TD is lazy because he only fully scored the TD instead of scoring a little more than a TD.

2 hours ago, IronChef said:

Even as he retires, half of the wrestling community sticks to their guns, refusing to spell Stieber correctly.

I learned it in English class...."I before E, except after "C"!!!  But I'm "old school"....old math, learned all the Patriotic songs in first and second grade...maybe we need to go back!!!!

52 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

His wife posted on Instagram saying that when they first went out, he didn’t tell her he was even a starter at tOSU (his wife was an athlete at tOSU also). She said she googled him a few weeks later and saw he was already a 3 time ncaa champion. 

He truly is humble. That is pretty crazy. Even when dating someone who he clearly liked a lot, he didn’t show off.  Actions speak louder than words. 

In today's look at me Society of people and wrestlers releasing schools they are considering, to have a three-time champ not even tell what would turn out to be his wife anything about his accomplishments is one of the most refreshing things I've heard in a long time. I think I just became an Ohio State fan

39 minutes ago, boconnell said:

These are some serious mental gymnastics.  Because it was improperly called it had to continue to be improperly called and the guy who scored the TD is lazy because he only fully scored the TD instead of scoring a little more than a TD.

But he didn't score the TD, the ref said so. Out loud. Many times. A rule change came as a result of this but as stated above by others there was room for this non-call to be made at the time

22 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

In today's look at me Society of people and wrestlers releasing schools they are considering, to have a three-time champ not even tell what would turn out to be his wife anything about his accomplishments is one of the most refreshing things I've heard in a long time. I think I just became an Ohio State fan

Either that or he was remarkably guarded and emotionally vacant

54 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

How do you feel about kids on your lawn?

His humility is what makes the win over Oliver that much better - one guy is a pompous jerk who would eventually get busted for PED's, while the other is a humble "nice guy" who would eventually win a world championship. It looked like a huge upset at the time, but in retrospect, the better wrestler and person won the match. 

10 minutes ago, ptz305 said:

His humility is what makes the win over Oliver that much better - one guy is a pompous jerk who would eventually get busted for PED's, while the other is a humble "nice guy" who would eventually win a world championship. It looked like a huge upset at the time, but in retrospect, the better wrestler and person won the match. 

I never got the impression that Oliver was a “pompous jerk”

It strikes me as odd that you’d say that.

Edited by Katie

Oliver is a great example of unrealized greatness.  Everything about him physically says his career should have more accomplishments than it actually does.

That said, this is a post about the Bear.  Congrats on a great career.  Yeah, that should have been two for Oliver and then you had the semi-controversy w/ Ramos in one of his finals (although in the end I don't think that changed the outcome of the match, because I don't believe Logie was pinned or that it should have been 4 NF,), but his style was so dynamic and fun to watch, and he seems like a great guy.  Plus he had a great career for the US in Freestyle including a World Championship.  I'm a LITTLE surprised he's retiring right before the Olympics, so I wouldn't be shocked if he was out there trying in 2020 for an Oly spot, and I hope he does!

I'm scratching my head why grown men are aligning so tightly to their opinions and "their guys", and when a literal "legend" chooses to retire, half of the commentary is about how he was "less than", thus attempting to diminish the guy.  

This constant breakdown of the individual in this sport is absolutely uncanny.  There's always something to nitpick and it's gotten beyond old.  This is yet ANOTHER reason why the popularity of the sport is a question mark, as there is a constant stream of this garbage.  I get it that football and other major sports have it, especially through the media, but it's a different equation when there are 300 million fans instead of 300,000 fans.  

Let's just celebrate in this and subsequent few moments of this announcement, that Logan Stieber is a legend on the mat, and fits the bill of an all-around "good person".  He's an fantastic ambassador of the sport.  Let's just leave it at that and stop all the various forms of butthurt.