russelscout

Is flo going to be ready for BTS

I listen to Joe Rogans MMA Shows. He has over 3 million subscribers to his podcast. Joe said he is going to tune in, figured it would be a PPV and has really been pumping up the Askren Burroughs match. What is going to  be the opportunity cost if MMA fans do not watch because of a $150 annual fee to watch it? Or if enough do pay, I hope the feed works! 

Wouldn't it be best to let this one be free or have a low 1 time view cost if you really want to grow interest in the sport?

Edited by russelscout

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

I listen to Joe Rogans MMA Shows. He has over 3 million subscribers to his podcast. Joe said he is going to tune in, figured it would be a PPV and has really been pumping up the Askren Burroughs match. What is going to  be the opportunity cost if MMA fans do not watch because of a $150 annual fee to watch it? Or if enough do pay, I hope the feed works! 

Wouldn't it be best to let this one be free or have a low 1 time view cost if you really want to grow interest in the sport?

Flo does have some grappling and other martial arts events and documentaries on their related sites.  I’ve watched a few of them in the past.  So the added content maybe of interest to some MMA fans to join if they have the money.  The Rohan promo would be great advertising for Flo if they can sell those fans on the related content. 

Edited by MadMardigain

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Not sure why people think it’s Flo’s responsibility to grow the sport. Sure growing the sport would ultimately make them more profitable but there responsibilities are only to their customers and shareholders. IMO Flo has done more for wrestling in the past 5-10 years than anyone else in the country. 

3 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Not sure why people think it’s Flo’s responsibility to grow the sport. Sure growing the sport would ultimately make them more profitable but there responsibilities are only to their customers and shareholders. IMO Flo has done more for wrestling in the past 5-10 years than anyone else in the country. 

I am not ripping on Flo. I have supported them on this site and am well aware of what they have done for wrestling already. I don't necessarily see it as their responsibility to grow the sport, but anything that is good for wrestling is good for Flo. Maybe its myopic, but if I am flo and see this continual growing fan base in MMA, I would certainly want as much of a chunk of that fan base as possible for growth. I'm sure shareholders would agree. Lowering price or changing price to gain a larger market is a pretty common strategy. I personally have no stock in it, because I already have a membership. I just wonder if this is an opportunity here. 

3 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

It's because the first line of defense anytime Flo messes up a stream or says or does something people don't agree with is, "hey, Flo is growing the sport" so they get a pass.

Flo has done an outstanding job demonstrating that there is a market for wrestling streaming.  They were the first movers in the area and building this market was huge for the sport.  They do a poor job in terms of streaming reliability/technology because in reality they are a media company and not a tech company. They don't have the resources of an ESPN, and I think it's only a matter of time before they get bought out by a company that actually has the infrastructure to deliver a reliable stream. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

I guarantee it will crash. GUARANTEE

edit: also they would be absolutely silly to not have a one-time ppv option. Just think if they had 50,000 buys @ $15 a piece = $750,000.  MMA diehards will see a $15 ppv and be ecstatic after what they are used to paying. 

But, typical Flo will probably just be happy with the maybe 500 people who sign up for the $150 annual membership because of this event and call it a success. 

Edited by Witherman

It's not Flo's responsibility to grow wrestling, BUT the more people involved with the sport it is obviously better for them. They will promote events that are streamed by them because that is what will make them money.

I think a $10-20 one time fee for an event would be a smart move, then they can spam them with the next big events and sucker them in for more one-time fees. I'd much rather nickel and dime someone that thinks they are getting a good deal than try to get it all at once. But alas, I am not their business manager, just a former Presidential candidate.

20 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I thought we hashed this out a few months ago? There is no data that shows Flo has affected wrestling in anyway except that overall participation (college and high school) has gone down since they've been around. 

6 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Flo has done an outstanding job demonstrating that there is a market for wrestling streaming.  They were the first movers in the area and building this market was huge for the sport.  They do a poor job in terms of streaming reliability/technology because in reality they are a media company and not a tech company. They don't have the resources of an ESPN, and I think it's only a matter of time before they get bought out by a company that actually has the infrastructure to deliver a reliable stream. 

i guess you missed the huge problems ESPN had with their streaming last weekend for the fights...

i do get tired of hearing the same ignorant opinions on FLO parroted constantly on this forum, but, people gonna people...

The hatred of Flo by the Wrestling community is not caused exclusively by their technical incompetence.   Here is a more complete list:

1. Technical incompetence

2. Horrible Customer Service

3. Arrogance of (several of their) hosts and management toward their customers/followers

4. Masquerading as journalists when really they are pitch men

5. Overt PC attitude -- esp as it relates to WFS.

6. Pricing model

etc

etc

etc 

40 minutes ago, Jim L said:

I think many of the non-wrestling fans who would watch this are subscribed to Flo- Grappling.  It would make sense for Flow to offer it on that service as well.

you have a flo account you can access any of their other formats... this has always been the case

5 minutes ago, Crash said:

The hatred of Flo by the Wrestling community is not caused exclusively by they technical incompetence.   Here is a more complete list:

1. Technical incompetence

2. Horrible Customer Service

3. Arrogance of (several of their) hosts and management toward their customers/followers

4. Masquerading as journalists when really they are pitch men

5. Overt PC attitude -- esp as it relates to WFS.

6. Pricing model

etc

etc

etc 

all of that nonsense is trumped by ignorant "fans" who are below average in technical savvy and just like to bitch and moan...

but...

i digress